Lascala AL5(possible with sub) or the Khorn AK6 (against a long wall)

Flevoman

49 minutes ago, henry4841 said:

A horn sub is going to be too huge for most. Best I am sure but there are many conventional subs that will blend in well with our horn bass speakers too. 

Well, I have found many topics about this subject but in none they mention a brand or type what sub is best suitable with the LS. 

What I do know is the Table Tuba as a good horn sub. But this is a DIY

Unless I'm totally losing track, one of the other forum members is from the Netherlans. He has had some Khorns and La Scalas, but rebuilt/beautifid some University Classics. He may know someone who could build some good subs (or single) and still be l be less expensive than buying commercial ones.

@Daan

Here's a link to his University speakers.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2023 at 9:27 AM, Flevoman said:

He also believes that this setup is perfectly fine and that the difference between placing them in corners or not was hardly audible (they tested this at the store). 
I take him seriously too, as he has been involved with audio his whole life, and from what I know, he doesn't settle for compromises. 

Simple answer, really. Having designed bass horns for about 10 years, the Khorn against the wall is only good for 60 hz. or so, which is fine for most music. You can add EQ or a subwoofer below that. It's a 4 ft horn without corners, as is the Underground Jube. The rest is opinion without curves, of which I have several hundred accumulated.

On 6/16/2023 at 12:05 PM, Flevoman said:

Ok... It is a good looking sub for sure. 

But 4k... Pfewww... 🙄

I know by now that a good sub won't be cheap, but 4k is quiet a lot. I hope to find one that works really well but a bit cheaper then 4k...

Klipsch had them on sale half price before they were discontinued. 

6 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Simple answer, really. Having designed bass horns for about 10 years, the Khorn against the wall is only good for 60 hz. or so, which is fine for most music. You can add EQ or a subwoofer below that. It's a 4 ft horn without corners, as is the Underground Jube. The rest is opinion without curves, of which I have several hundred accumulated.

Sorry, but I don't quite understand what you're trying to say. Could you please explain it a bit more clearly for me? I'm really curious about your explanation.

7 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

So can we get an update on how the AL5s are performing in your room?

Yes, of course, but not much has changed yet.
I'm stuck at the point where I can hear that the Lascala can perform very well, but I feel like it's not quite there yet.
There are three things that are still holding me back.

- I find the overall sound a bit dark, not quite open enough.
It's like you would want to turn the treble knob on your preamplifier a bit.
Is it a matter of proper placement/positioning? Another amplifier? Or should I just accept that this is how the speaker sounds?
- There is a certain resonance in the sound that I just can't determine whether it's in the recording, caused by the horn, or some kind of cabinet resonance.
It's only audible with certain tones/dynamics/frequencies in the music.
Is this characteristic of the Lascala? There's plenty of information about resonance in the original Lascala. However, I thought this was addressed in the II and AL5 versions.
- The music could separate better from the speaker.
Currently, I can still clearly hear the music coming from the left, right speaker, and the center. This can definitely be improved, but it's a matter of adjusting, tweaking, etc.

I still need some time to get used to the sound of the speakers.
Since I haven't fully familiarized myself with it yet, it's difficult for me to perceive subtle changes.
I've decided to dedicate next weekend to adjusting the speakers and listening position to get that right first.
Of course, any advice is still very much welcome.

Side note: It might seem like I am very dissatisfied with the performance of the Lascala. This is absolutely not the case. The speakers sound truly amazing. I think they look incredibly beautiful. And every time I turn the music back on, I enjoy what I hear. I am inherently a perfectionist, which drives me to get the most out of my setup, allowing me to focus so strongly on aspects where there is still room for improvement.

These speakers are awesome and so is the Cornwall 4.

• Like 1