Lascala AL5(possible with sub) or the Khorn AK6 (against a long wall)

Flevoman

19 minutes ago, KT88 said:

The khorn has a very good impressive bass. As Coytee says, you are "in" the bass horn. But the LaScala has the better punch. The nice thing about the Khorn is that about 32 Hz is all I would need for my kind of music. But everything has to be right with the room regarding the Khorn. I would never spend the money for a Khorn and then have to handle with false tinkered corners. If the Khorn is not in the corner from my point of view the LS is the better choice what this aspect is concerned even if the low bass is gone.

The determination of the placement re the Khorn is an issue even if you want to finetune the mids and treble. The LS can be aligned so that the stage cam be calibrated exactly. When the Khorn was developed PWK wanted to get a nice roomfilling sound even as a mono speaker. Therefor it radiates 45 degrees from the corner.

Thank you for clearing this up. 

I prefer punch for sure 😉

21 minutes ago, KT88 said:

Some of the still best speakers on the planet today like the Khorn or the UK Quad ESL57 were designed to be a mono speaker at first in the early days of hifi.

IMG_4120.jpeg

Gee....that reminds me of my wife....as she sits blissfully next to me, attentively listening to whatever I've got playing.......

uh huh....  trust me, it's true.  You just read it on the internet and that proves it.

• Haha 1

Yes, an older type without the closed backs. It was over 40 years ago. I hadn't yet heard of Klipsch and didn't know they were supposed to be in corners. They sounded great. I can only imagine if they had been placed properly. His were actually out in the room enough that you could walk around behind them (which I did).

Without  two good corners I would recommend going with Lascala . Klipschorn is a lot harder to place in a room ,and without two good corners why force it ?  Lascala offers much more flexibility without giving up much . Klipschorn does play to a lower frequency, but they also will benefit from a good subwoofer system . Klipschorn in a good room will sound fantastic and when fitted  into the corner ,it will reward you with a very impressive expansive sound quality. In a less than perfect room , problems will arise , for example corners that are too far apart will compromise the center image , or if too close together the squawker convergence point may be way off  , 🤷I built a room to fit my Khorns and have no regrets ,but for most people flexibility is very important or required 🤓

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Islander said:

While ranking the top Heritage speakers, maybe it should be pointed out that Jubilees, the older models in particular, have sometimes been described as "Super-Scalas", having a sound more like a very improved La Scala than an upgraded Klipschorn.

He shouldn't be. The LaScala is a 2.7 foot horn that cuts off at 104 Hz. then relies on the sealed dog house for bass below cutoff when placed in effectively one "corner" the cabinet, in to another corner or wall, having a "free lunch" from cabin gain. The Underground Jubilee is a 4 ft horn that cuts off at 60-70 Hz NOT in a corner (etter than a LaScala) and behaves better than a Khorn when in a corner.

Even PWK felt the Jube was a step up from the Khorn. Now that Roy has done a "greatest hits" version of it, the "75" with Active Network and better drivers it's the top of the pile. The LS plus twin horn subs is the best bang for buck, but it's a 4-way while the Khorn is a 3-way. Salt to taste either way, it's YOUR taste buds and Wallet.

8 hours ago, Tom05 said:

Without  two good corners I would recommend going with Lascala . Klipschorn is a lot harder to place in a room ,and without two good corners why force it ?  Lascala offers much more flexibility without giving up much . Klipschorn does play to a lower frequency, but it also will benefit from a good subwoofer system . Klipschorn in a good room will sound fantastic and when fitted  into the corner ,it  rewards you with a very impressive and expansive sound quality. In a less than perfect room , problems will arise , for example corners that are too far apart will compromise the center image , or if too close together the squawker convergence point is way off  , 🤷I built a room to fit my Khorns and have no regrets ,but for most people flexibility is very important or required 🤓

Thank you for this clear explanation of why, in my situation, the La Scala is likely the best choice. With your information and all the other information in this topic, I have a better understanding of the differences between the LS and the KH. I had the impression that the KH was the overall better speaker. The reason this was important to me is that my audio dealer is now offering their demo Khorns AK6 for sale. It's priced quite competitively, so I was a bit torn on what to do. However, I'll let it go and focus on getting the most out of the La Scalas.

@001 Jubscala, this is something selfmade I supose?

The second image ain't so bad to be honest 😏

Is this speaker better then the Lascala AL5? 

• Like 1

Now that this topic is still fresh, may I immediately use it for the potential next step?
I don't exclude the possibility of adding a sub in the future.
I've read some topics already and encountered various opinions.
Some say a sub is fine, while others say it doesn't match with the La Scala; only a horn sub will work, etc.
Keep in mind that I use a SET tube amplifier and no preamp. Also, I have no intention of building a sub myself.
Which subwoofer would be the best match?
I'm not a bass enthusiast; I mainly listen to blues, jazz, acoustic music, and light pop.
The subwoofer would be meant to add a slight fullness to the sound.

10 hours ago, OO1 said:

a JubScala aint bad either  

image.jpeg.740e3d6d2cffc9385c78ac6dd8a93286.jpegimage.jpeg.5b3e79c4cea9cb66a37b261eb5e15e97.jpeg

Experimented with a Altec 511B on top of my LaScala in the past too. Requires one to design and build a custom crossover or go active crossover. Big horn, bigger sound but now I just listen to my LaScala's stock with AA crossovers considering them plenty good enough for me. I would expect engineers at Klipsch know more than I but to me the big, as big as you can find for a 1" driver, Altec horn sound better in some ways. I have thought of trying a 2" horn and driver but giving it some thought I say why when the stock LaScala sounds so good in my average size room. Big speakers require a big room to really shine is my thought.

• Like 1

I am enjoying reading about Flevoman's audio journey and his opinions of the sound of his new toys. Reminds me on how I was at his age, wanting to try as many pieces as I can. Got hooked when in my 20's reading all the reviews in the popular audio rags wondering how they would sound at my house. It was fun and I still play with electronics but mostly amplifiers now and not speakers. For a home environment I do not see how I could improve the sound of any significance over my LaScala's. Sure there could be a touch better here and possible an improvement there with another speaker but overall, for me, one cannot beat a Heritage speaker no matter which one. Even the Heresy with a sub is going to make fantastic music for most and be the last speaker they need to buy. A lot can depend on the size of ones listening room. Big rooms benefit from big speakers, smaller rooms can get by with a smaller set of speakers and sound just fine. Just my 2ct's for what it's worth. 

• Like 1