What alters sound more?

Idontknow

8 minutes ago, Scott Grammer said:

My lord, those things are HUGE. A Mac 275 is not a small amp, but those speakers make it look tiny!

Yes, these UGJ are large, but I believe that the ipad's camera lens distorts outward. This actually increases the difference or size ratio between MC275 and the UGJ a bit.

But the BBC LS3/5a stand inside from the UGJ, so less camera distortion. But the size difference between the two is actually also stark.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Scott Grammer said:
4 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

When I saw the original question I thought differentiating between SS & Tubes would be important for the 2-channel aficionado. I understand the former could affect the sound, but the latter would be at the bottom of the list as long as it had enough power to drive the speakers efficiently at the level you wanted. 

It has been my recent experience that the interaction between

Color me embarrassed! I meant the opposite of what I wrote. Tubes (latter) can color the sound and equivalent SS amps (former) should sound the same. My bad and I will go back and correct it. 😑 {Note: My follow up post better explained the point without the error. 😁}

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

Just to make sure I understand. You are saying that if the tube amp has enough power, there is little effect on the sound?

No. I screwed up and confused "former" with latter as I was typing. I apologize and hope the follow-up post explained what I actually was trying to say....Multi-tasking while at work is to blame. 😮

On 8/2/2023 at 8:16 PM, Marvel said:

@Scott Grammer

Although I no longer have them, I had some MWM bass cabinets for a while. The cleanest, tightest bass I've ever heard. I missed them within minutes of letting them go.

20190814_160943.jpg

I got to use a pair of those in a live sound gig once. Very impressive, and they inspired me to build a slightly smaller set of W-bins for my own sound reinforcement system. Somehow, I feel they'd be a bit out-of-place in my current one-bedroom apartment. I don't think they'd even go through the door.

On 8/2/2023 at 7:13 PM, Zen Traveler said:

No. I screwed up and confused "former" with latter as I was typing. I apologize and hope the follow-up post explained what I actually was trying to say....Multi-tasking while at work is to blame. 😮

Thanks, that makes more sense. But I still think SS amps too have noticeable differences in sound. In my experience there have only been  few I could live with, one being the dirt cheap Schiit Aegir. I was very surprised by that little gem. Most SS amps just leave me cold when it comes to emotional involvement. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

Most SS amps just leave me cold when it comes to emotional involvement. 

Sure. I understand Tube aficionado don't usually like SS amps.

26 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

I still think SS amps too have noticeable differences in sound.

Well...Given how much this has been debated, all I can say is if they provide enough current to drive the speakers efficiently at the volume you want, its going to be the processor that will make the most difference. YMMV. 😊

Hmmmm? Not convinced here.

Test Setup--

Assume Joe has a pair of Jubilee and a $150 class D amp with 75 W.

Pete Has a pair of Dynaco A25 and a $10,000 McIntosh Amp.

They both connect same model of an integrated CDP and play the same CDs.

I expect the Jubilee system will sound way the hell better.

14 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

Wait! Not sure if this was directed at me but my comment above was only about differences between SS amps compared to Tubes. I totally think speakers are the most important and one should work backwards from there.

Zenman... No, I wasn't directing at you. Just a general sanity check. I think everyone knows it's all about the speakers!

• Like 2