What alters sound more?

Idontknow

• Klipsch Employees
On 7/29/2023 at 5:39 PM, Idontknow said:

In your guys opinion, what has more impact on differences in sound in most cases. I'm not necessarily saying for the better or for worse. If you had to choose what alters it the most. Of course there's other components, but let's just stick to these. I'm curious what the average one turns out to be.

DAC?

Room?

Preamp?

Amplifier?

Speakers?

Recording quality?

Thanks,

---daniel

Recording quality. Then speakers. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Flevoman said:

Honestly, WAF can be the number one factor determining the size of your speakers, the maximum volume you can listen to your music, how far you can place the speakers from the wall in terms of speaker placement, and whether you can opt for that "actually expensive amplifier" or stick with the "affordable model," etc..etc...

That's why most of the McIntosh amplifiers look the same.  You can sneak in the more expensive model without anyone noticing.

However, I would not want to live under such constraints.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tom05 said:

Yea , WTF is up with this WAF stuff ? I don’t think I could live like that 🤷‍♂️ , scares the H out of me .hehe🤓

Depends on how much you love each other. Speakers are just stuff in the end.

On 7/31/2023 at 5:39 AM, Marvel said:

Depends on how much you love each other. Speakers are just stuff in the end.

Just trying to add a little humor into the conversation. 🤓 I have a friend that can’t do anything without permission from his wife🤷‍♂️ ,  she gives him an allowance every week , 20 bucks 🙁. Nicest guy ever. My wife and I get along really good , oh sure we argue about stuff now and then , we got into a heated discussion just the other day about her fascination with horn subwoofers , touchy subject in our household. I told her that I’ll build  one when I get around to it .Marriage is all about compromise 🤓

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tom05 said:

Just trying to add a little humor into the conversation. 🤓 I have a friend that can’t do anything without acceptance from his wife🤷‍♂️ ,  she gives him an allowance every week , 20 bucks 🙁. Nicest guy ever. My wife and I get along really good , oh sure we argue about stuff now and then , we got into a heated discussion just the other day about the virtues of horn subwoofers , touchy subject in our household. I told her that I’ll build  one when I get around to it .Marriage is all about compromise 🤓

I knew an old man once when I was young who said him and his wife of 50 years had never had a fight. But he went on to say "yes they have been known to wake up the neighbors discussing things on a few occasions."

• Like 2

My list from a recent different thread:

Here is my list in order of importance to my enjoyment of reproduced audio:

1.) The quality of the recording.

2.) The room and its acoustics and acoustic treatments.

3.) the Loudspeakers.

4.) The rest of the shit.

On 7/29/2023 at 3:39 PM, Idontknow said:

DAC?

Room?

Preamp?

Amplifier?

Speakers?

Recording quality?

DAC - subtle differences

Room - What are you going to do, buy a new house?

Preamp - Subtle differences

Amplifier - Subtle differences

Speakers - Monumental differences. This is the foundation of any system. I don't know anyone who started with a DAC and built out from there?

Recording quality - I assume you'll listen to the music you LIKE, not what sounds better, right?

In the end, everyone is free to do whatever the hell they think makes sense.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

Room - What are you going to do, buy a new house?

I've only had a mancave since I built my house 11 years ago. And I only started doing room treatments in the last 6 months. I'm kicking myself for not doing them before. YMMV.

• Like 1

Speakers matched to a given Room

Source (which means recording plus DAC or turntable)

the synergy of pre/power components again including the right fitting speaker.
So, the speakers are critical in two ways.