Epic CF-3 questions

Flevoman

A question for the Epic experts.

Someone is offering his Epic CF-3 for sale for 1000,- euro. 
I'm considering buying it for my brother.
He's currently using my old Chorus speakers, and he enjoys them, but he feels they lack some bass. His music taste is very diverse, but he mainly listens to lively pop, rock, and metal.

Two questions:

What is a reasonable price for the Epic CF-3?
And how will the CF-3 compare to the Chorus speakers?

If he feels the bass from the 15” woofers in a Chorus is lacking, going to a speaker with smaller woofers is not going to solve the issue.

Speaker placement, seating placement, etc will provide better results than different speakers will.

I would look at adding a subwoofer (or two) to the Chorus speakers.  Then you still get the upper range clarity of a three way main speaker and you aren't taxing out the 15" woofer trying to reproduce frequencies below what it can reproduce effectively.

I run subs with just about all of my speaker systems.  It's not that I listen to music loud, it's when I listen, I want it to be a nice full sound.  With subs, even at low volumes, you will be able to achieve this.

• Like 1

Thank you for the input.

I know from my own experience that each speaker can sound different with an equal-sized woofer. I think the assumption that 'the Chorus woofer is bigger, so it should have more bass' is too simplistic. I have no idea how the CF-3 sounds with two woofers, even if they are slightly smaller, having two of them might result in a fuller bass perhaps? . I remember reading that the Epic CF-3 actually produced decent bass, but I'm not sure if I remembered it correctly 😏

• Like 1

2x10" ~= 1x15" for cone area.  The Epic series are tuned via port into the mid ~30Hz area, bass is quite good, but they do like a healthy power amp or some sort of active/digital correction.  The do sound pretty great with whatever amp you have.  They did a great job designing the Epic series, I don't think you can lose either way.

I think the bass via the ST70 is going to be a little softer sounding. I have one of the original ST70s, but it's in the middle of a driver board upgrade. I've only used it on my JBL 4311 studio monitors (similar to the L100 Century). They were designed to be usable with a 10 watt amp, so the 35wpc Dynaco was great with them.

Can he try a more powerful amp? I had a pair of Chorus IIs at the house for about a week (holding them for a friend) and tried them with a 75 wpc solid state amp and found the bass was very good.

My suggestion is buy the CF3's

Then, do a side by side A/B comparison in the actual room in which they will be residing.  Listen to a bunch of songs you know well.  Then, keep the pair you like more and sell the other.  It's not like you're going to lose any money, but you will take all of the guess work out of ending up with the speakers you like more. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Iteachstem said:

My suggestion is buy the CF3's

Then, do a side by side A/B comparison in the actual room in which they will be residing.  Listen to a bunch of songs you know well.  Then, keep the pair you like more and sell the other.  It's not like you're going to lose any money, but you will take all of the guess work out of ending up with the speakers you like more. 

I was thinking about doing this. 

I guess 1000,- euro should not be a problem to get my money back when I want to sell them 

• Like 1

Chorus speakers  need a lot of power..... 150-200wpc 

your crossovers are shot    send them to @Deang  or   buy a   klipsch  genuine capacitors kit  shipped  to the EU 

a CF-4 can  deliver the heavy bass of the Chorus   , but not  the CF-3

• Like 1

3 hours ago, henry4841 said:

150-200wpc?

For a speaker with 100db sensitivity with just one watt?

klipsch use  + 1000 wpc Rotel Michi amps   for the Heritage Jubilee which has  a sensitivity of more than 120 dB with just 1 watt

150- 200 watts in nothing in comparison ,  a 100  wpc amp versus  a 200 wpc amp only adds 3 dB    , but the difference in the quality  of the sound between the 100 and 200 watts amp is gonna yield , cleaner , fuller bass and crystal clear Mids and HF 

Ridiculous Randy, a speaker with 100db sensitivity only needs a watt or two to damage ones hearing. Perfect speakers for Single Ended Triode tube use, period. Hook those speakers up to an amplifier and an oscilloscope set for a 1 watt window in a rather large room and it will prove to you skeptics that you will never exceed the 1 watt level unless you are an idiot. Just pure laws of physics anyone with an audio electronic background will understand that has the means to prove this. Klipsch speakers, or far that matter most all horn speakers, are perfectly happy with just a few watts.  Something a newbie would say with no hands on experience with SET amps. If a 6 watt tube amplifier is not good for 100db speakers just why would many spend $25K for a Japanese SET 300B amp with only 6 watts. What in the h**l would it be good for if a 100db speaker cannot use them. Most speakers cannot even come close to 100db sensitivity. 

I have no problem with anyone wasting their money on watts that will never be used if that is what one wants to do but to say a 100db speaker needs mega watts is just foolish talk. The Decware Zen is perfect for great sound with it's 2 watts. By the way Flevoman has the Zen. 

• Like 1