Klipschorns ground up rebuild

Shilly

Hello

I have a set of I think 1974 Klipschorns that I finally  got from my uncle after 40 years seeing and hearing  them for the first time.  Sadly he did not keep them in good shape and they were left in a leaky area and they eventually became a rat house.   So far the bass cabinets are scrap along with the woofers. The tops are in decent condition but if I rebuild the bottoms I might as well do tops also.   I have already started the tear down of the bottoms and wondering if there is a cut sheet of all parts in US measurements. I have found some online but nothing complete with all the little supports and baffles.  Does one exist?   The glue is pretty old so once the screws are removed some gentle tapping and the boards seem to pop free.  If there is no cut sheets, looks like I will catalog each part and use them as templates.  The crossover seem easy to rebuild with new caps  should the inductors be replaced also?

I did find inside where the tester signed the front panel

box.jpg

open.jpg

xover.jpg

top.jpg

sign.jpg

serial.jpg

• Like 3

I would personally try to repair the existing cabinets, get some new K-33 woofers if the others are bad, put them back together and see just what they sound like.  Those bass bins aren't an easy build in any respect.  I'd personally replace the entire crossovers versus trying to salvage what's there.  Maybe some newer AA's somewhere.  But put the cabinets back together unless they are warped/swolen.

10 hours ago, Shilly said:

The glue is pretty old so once the screws are removed some gentle tapping and the boards seem to pop free.

I had a La Scala that was like that on a couple of the pieces. I would clean/disinfect as needed and put them back together. How far away from Hope, AR are you?

I have something I will send in a PM (personal message), but I think you need at least five posts before you can send/receive messages.

2 hours ago, Dave MacKay said:

dont you  know anything about  OEM specifications or manufacturing processes  ,  mind you   , it's not a secret that  manufacturers such as klipsch do not use  run of the mill parts ,  but  you seem to think that klipsch go out and buy massively produced parts with general tolerances  , and any part out there can be substituted   for the Factory part with the same results , well , no , sorry , if that was true  , that would be nonsense 

56 minutes ago, OO1 said:

dont you  know anything about  OEM specifications or manufacturing processes  ,  mind you   , it's not a secret that  manufacturers such as klipsch do not use  run of the mill parts ,  but  you seem to think that klipsch go out and buy massively produced parts with general tolerances  , and any part out there can be substituted   for the Factory part with the same results , well , no , sorry , if that was true  , that would be nonsense 

Big claims such as you made require some proof. You haven’t provided any, nor has JEM or Klipsch.

I’m sure JEM’s capacitors are very good. Because they’re endorsed by Klipsch they’re also a safe choice. But nowhere has there been any proof to show that they replicate Klipsch specs. Nor has there been any proof that other capacitors don’t.

I enjoy your posts but this baseless cheerleading is tiresome.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies.   Yes both cabinets have years or rat urine in them   I found one mummified rat stuck in the woofer and a live one ran out when I was removing the bass side opening.   I will do the new JEM caps and reuse the rest for now,  and either find some used Klipsch K33P or new Crites woofers,   I have done some woodworking in the past  so  the cuts and angles don't look to bad to replicate but we will see.

Marvel---I am North of Seattle so a long way from AR  I will try to post a couple more time with my disassembly of the cabinets.

26 minutes ago, Shilly said:

Thanks for the replies.   Yes both cabinets have years or rat urine in them   I found one mummified rat stuck in the woofer and a live one ran out when I was removing the bass side opening.   I will do the new JEM caps and reuse the rest for now,  and either find some used Klipsch K33P or new Crites woofers,   I have done some woodworking in the past  so  the cuts and angles don't look to bad to replicate but we will see.

Marvel---I am North of Seattle so a long way from AR  I will try to post a couple more time with my disassembly of the cabinets.

Put them in a small room and find an ozone generator.  I bought one off of Amazon, about $100 for a decent one, and used it to get a funky smell out of a '12 Nissan Titan I bought and it worked like a champ.  Of course, clean that dead rat stuff and urine, too.  Don't be in the room when it's running and make sure you let it air to the outside world for a good hour or so.  

And I concur with @Dave MacKay  Cheerleading.  lol.  Exactly!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dave MacKay said:

You haven’t provided any, nor has JEM or Klipsch.

that's not true ,    klipsch  Engineering Staff have discussed the subject more than once   , none of the information /proof  was ever deleted   

1 hour ago, OO1 said:

that's not true ,    klipsch  Engineering Staff have discussed the subject more than once   , none of the information /proof  was ever deleted  

How about posting the info?

All I recall was mention of Roy having spent some time having a discussion with JEM. To my knowledge, no specs or special requirements related to how certain caps affect the transfer function were ever disclosed. 

If there is any substance to the claim, why can’t we see data to substantiate it? 

1 hour ago, Bacek said:

If they did those mylar capacitors with all same parameters like old PIO capacitors and then a the same time same as MKP's used around AK3 then that is word class archivment.

AK/AL series didn’t use MKP (polypropylene) capacitors, they used polyester/Mylar.

Mylar specs out only slightly better than PIO.