How much YouTube do you watch?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. How much YouTube do you watch?

• None
    • Less than 6 hours a week.
    • Between 6 and 12 hours a week.
    • Over 12 hours weekly.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/01/23 at 05:01 AM

6 hours ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

I'm only worried about "official" state censorship. A good example would be this: An important medication is discovered to treat a dangerous medical condition, but when the doctor attempts to publish these findings, the state mechanisms - regulatory bodies, bureaucrats, intelligence agents - demand through backdoor channels that private companies block the publication or discussion of this information in order to achieve an agenda hidden from the public's scrutiny.

Medication.Ukraine  .puck your disinformation Topic. ,😀

Ah yes!  Alternative facts.  I have heard that somewhere, I believe it was coined by an inveterate liar.  Because, right wait, I remember another saying that the truth isn't the truth.  Relativism at its logical extreme leads the ignorant down the path of total confusion resulting in the complete maleability of their minds.  Critical thinking is the first casualty, and studies have shown that one cannot change others opinions through the exposition of facts.  

We are living Orwell's nightmare of mind control through the bastardization of language.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

studies have shown that one cannot change others opinions through the exposition of facts.  

What we also learned in the Social Media Age that is that it takes alot more effort to debate against a lie (or false meme) than it does to post it. 

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Critical thinking is the first casualty

Yep. Unfortunately, in public discourse it is the lowest common denominator that drives the discussion.

7 hours ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

Well, yes. I'm naturally biased in the direction that I believe is most beneficial to society while recognizing that others will believe in other positions. 

Me too! 🙈 I want bipartisan agreement to where Government should go insofar as censorship in these publicly owned companies with so much influence by a single person or small group. Fwiw, I thought Facebook and Twitter went in the right direction to curb Government involvement in how their platforms were run and marketed. 

Since 2016 government and social media companies have worked together seemlessly to censor content deemed troublesome to their agenda. Short of a complete legal overhaul of the 1996 Communications Act and establishment of authentic free speech protections focused on citizens in place of political whims, I'm not optimistic for the future benefits of the Internet.

If the Internet turns into just another government bullhorn, like the NYT, WaPo, NPR, and network TV, it's value will drift to zero and all promise will have been lost. In fact, maybe (probably) it has already happened. 

I think there was a psyop waged in which the populace was taught that information was itself "dangerous"--like bombs-- and that they should rely on government to protect them from that danger. Hence, all that ballyhoo about "disinformation" and "misinformation" and "fact checking Authority." 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

If the Internet turns into just another government bullhorn, like the NYT, WaPo, NPR, and network TV, it's value will drift to zero and all promise will have been lost. In fact, maybe (probably) it has already happened. 

Fwiw, I don't feel you are correct in this assumption but it's beyond the scope of the YouTube discussion.

54 minutes ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

Short of a complete legal overhaul of the 1996 Communications Act

I agree this needs to happen.

55 minutes ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

Hence, all that ballyhoo about "disinformation" and "misinformation" and "fact checking Authority." 

This is the tricky area but what I'm more disturbed by is that so many people think they know something that obviously isn't true when fact-checking is involved....Like I said, it takes ALOT less effort to post something that isn't true than it does to debunk conspiracy theories. 

57 minutes ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

I think there was a psyop waged in which the populace was taught that information was itself "dangerous"

Fwiw, this came at the time when misinformation was dressed up like "News" and being specifically targeted on Social Media and folks assumed what they were circulating was real. This was a wake up call for social media if they didn't want Government involved and so far they really aren't except for giving warning shots. That's my take.

3 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

This was a wake up call for social media if they didn't want Government involved and so far they really aren't except for giving warning shots. That's my take.

The government was heavily involved and that's my complaint. See this ruling from Louisiana.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/documents/75e9f7a3-da4e-45af-8430-6eeba37eaf9f.pdf

The government interference was abominable and pernicious as well documented in those 155 pages. It was a dystopian nightmare come true.
Doctors posting useful, lifesaving info on you tube were throttled, de-platformed by bureaucrats.

1 hour ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

The government interference was abominable and pernicious as well documented in those 155 pages. It was a dystopian nightmare come true.

I read the first 50 pages and skimmed through the rest because it was too painful to read, remembering that time...Suffice it to say, Covid discussion was curbed here because of misinformation and the crazy stuff I had to debate others on Facebook was bewildering. Fwiw, I'm glad they attempted to work together to get us through the pandemic even though they lost this lawsuit.  

On 9/15/2023 at 12:15 PM, Zen Traveler said:
On 9/11/2023 at 1:56 PM, tube fanatic said:

For me it is the best source of free religious and gospel music videos around.  

Maynard

I'm curious, if you predominantly watch that do you also get other things along the same line that interest you? 🤔 Btw, this question is for everyone who enjoys YouTube. 😊

Fwiw, with my Bible interests I get caught up with really good content directed at a specific interests. So much so that I gotta step back realizing their algorithms have me pegged! On the flipside, how is it shaping my thought process (in both positive and negative ways)?

Ha! I posed this question to @tube fanatic and others because it is what truly interests me. Although I'm not as concerned about "censorship" as much as others, I'm still wondering how much MISINFORMATION and indoctrination into other endeavors that could be dangerous and not beneficial to society...On that note, this came up on my feed last night and it was contemporary to several discussions I've been having with fellow Klipschsters.

@oldtimer Josephus is one of one of the main/few sources mentioning the historical figure we were talking about. @henry4841 Given your interests stated in our PM you may find it beneficial learning about this time period as well. @RealMarkDeneen I'm not discounting some of the ramifications of Government getting involved--it's come full circle contemplating what Josephus ACTUALLY wrote with his own hand (no printing presses, gang) compared to the editorial process of his Works coming down since then influencing "scholarship" today. Iow, how historically accurate are his writings it? {Warning: This video will bore most people to tears, but I thought it very informative although disagreed with some of the premise} 

1 hour ago, Zen Traveler said:

I'm curious, if you predominantly watch that do you also get other things along the same line that interest you? 🤔 Btw, this question is for everyone who enjoys YouTube. 😊

Fwiw, with my Bible interests I get caught up with really good content directed at a specific interest.

Again, exploring the different kind of user-specific algorithms that YouTube uses I am amazed when interests merge such as my following both Biblical archeology/history and Travel. Long time BSers may remember my fascination with the Dead Sea Scrolls and today one of the guys I follow traveling the globe drops this video: 

For the record, I discovered this guy during Covid and he really does nice "Being There" travel videos and the value here is how cool it is traveling near where the Dead Sea Scrolls were actually discovered (I've only started watching this video) with excellent 4K video quality. He really has an amazing/extensive travel library for those interested. :) 

7 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

I'm still wondering how much MISINFORMATION and indoctrination into other endeavors that could be dangerous and not beneficial to society

I'm a lot more worried about humans than I am about societies. Crucial to human potential is the free pursuit of a meaningful life, which happens during the open discovery process, which is the antithesis of society. Society seeks the opposite of open discovery (aka freedom) by expressly imposing limits on the free distribution of **cough, cough** "information."

The exciting possibilities of YouTube in the early days was that it had no editor, publisher, fact-checker, or censor beyond certain prudish limits on, say, nudity or gore. It was chock full of ALL the logical vectors of information from which the user could review, accept, or reject at his/her own will. It was full of imagination. STOP THE PRESSES! That is "too dangerous" for our social construct of carefully groomed "citizens."  And so the heavy hand comes down harder and harder with each passing year and with each and every "scare complaint" delivered by politicians, spies, generals, bureaucrats, and overseers of the society.

When YT went live in 2005, one of the liveliest arenas was the 3-ring circus around 9/11. The richness of the discourse grew rapidly, and soon, the 2008 FinCrisis joined the party and once more the depth and breadth of information available to armchair analysts was 10,000X greater than the pre-packaged, heavily redacted, heavily edited content in the NYT or on CNBC. But the hammer started coming down hard at that point. Humans were acquiring far too much knowledge about activities behind the curtains. And by today, anything even remotely dangerous to the workings of the system are just disappeared into the bit bucket with no explanation. What remains is called "entertainment" which we are always encouraged to indulge in to great excess.

Interesting conversation.  The 2 points that jump out at me regarding censorship involved (1) trying to shut down claims made that injecting or drinking some kind of bleach (or pool cleanser, or something  - I forget) protected people from Coronavirus, and (2) trying to hush critics of the vaccine because the vaccine program was too important to allow anyone to create skepticism and fear.

This thread might not last long, but IMO, our comments aren't really all that controversial.  These points are long outdated, and I don't think people really care that much anymore.

• Like 2

Google Fi sent me an e last month stating they were not going to renew anyone's pixel pass. That's a deal where we got extra storage YouTube without commercials if we signed in and insurance for our phones included in one fee and then they're funny $5 rebate a month included in that. So I guess they lost money on that venture the last 2 years so a lot less YouTube for me in the near future. That other stuff seems to have already come to pass with the master of puppets in charge of things nowadays.

21 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

These points are long outdated, and I don't think people really care that much anymore.

Are they? Only two weeks ago, the Fifth Circuit just unanimously affirmed (Louisiana) Judge Doughty’s injunction against the White House, CDC, FBI, and others. Just ten days ago, the FDA issued yet another EUA for yet another jab when there was no "declared emergency."  

There's still a lot more to lose on the table.

8 minutes ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

Are they? Only two weeks ago, the Fifth Circuit just unanimously affirmed (Louisiana) Judge Doughty’s injunction against the White House, CDC, FBI, and others. Just ten days ago, the FDA issued yet another EUA for yet another jab when there was no "declared emergency."  

There's still a lot more to lose on the table.

I am not aware of any further coercive action to require additional shots.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

no offense to anyone here but......what exactly is MISINFORMATION? There is correct information, there is incorrect information. I mean who are the brain police? Are you thinking wrongly? Soon you will be charged with THOUGHT CRIME. What utter NONSENSE..use your intelligence while it is still allowed....

• Like 1