Troubleshooting La Scala II

OldCrow

Yes for the moment, the extra parts are a distraction. A snap of the rear top, panel removed will help verify crossover connections, speaker connections and speakers in general. The fact that both sound the same, next clue is the top bin for the tweet and mid, x-over inspection.

• Like 1

The evidence points to bad tweeters .See if they’re working , and While  you’re at it , check the midrange . It’s not likely a coincidence that you found a couple of replacement tweeters laying around .The owner seems to have been interested in changing out the original tweeters , so it is possible that various other changes have also been made  to these speakers . I’d offer to buy them and fix them , nice little project , probably  a very simple fix🤓

• Like 2

Listening to a pair of speakers with no tweeters could sound as you described. As mentioned above, you need to get the backs off the LS II and take a look at the xover and possibly put an ohm meter on the tweeters. Process of elimination leads you down the road of a wiring issue  and/or bad xover or bad drivers.

• Like 1

Babadono, I apologize for being MIA. These aren't my speakers and I hadn't heard from the owner until this morning. She talked to Klipsch support and is going to order new tweeters. The mystery components will remain a mystery. They don't match anything in the La Scala according to the owner. My thanks to all of you who assisted with information and advice. I'll post again if I get an update.

• 2 weeks later...

Update! I went to the owner's home armed with a multimeter. I had watched a youtube entitled What's in the Box? about la scala's.

Disconnected tweeter from crossover and measured resistance at 5.9 ohms (2nd tweet is 5.8). Measurement point was the end of the two wires connected to the tweeter that were just removed from the cross over. Tried a test I had read about here using a AA battery. Hold one wire on one end of the battery and quickly brush the other end with the other wire. It should produce a scratchy sound- it did! Same on 2nd tweeter. So far so good.

Now the problem. Disconnected and unscrewed the mid range unit. The meter indicates both are open (OL reading). No noise with battery test (note: the discussion for this test was about tweeters. I don't know if it works for mid range).

Put things back together. Surprise! Both tweeters working now (loose connections?) as well as woofers (which had always been working). And the sound has cleaned up and unified considerably. Much better than when I first heard them. Now it sounds like just the mid range is missing. 

So now both mid-range test as open. I read woofers are 4 ohm, mid-range are 16 ohm and tweeters are 8 ohm, but I think the post was talking about Forte speakers. I measured the mid-range right at the driver connectors. 

Is the OL reading on the mid range a death sentence and the likely cause of the problem? Any other test for them? Am I ready to order new mid range drivers? I read something about replacing just the diaphragm? Thanks to everyone for advice and support.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OldCrow said:

Disconnected and unscrewed the mid range unit. The meter indicates both are open (OL reading). No noise with battery test (note: the discussion for this test was about tweeters. I don't know if it works for mid range).

Put things back together. Surprise! Both tweeters working now (loose connections?) as well as woofers (which had always been working). And the sound has cleaned up and unified considerably. Much better than when I first heard them. Now it sounds like just the mid range is missing. 

So now both mid-range test as open. I read woofers are 4 ohm, mid-range are 16 ohm and tweeters are 8 ohm, but I think the post was talking about Forte speakers. I measured the mid-range right at the driver connectors. 

Is the   on the mid range a death sentence and the likely cause of the problem? Any other test for them? Am I ready to order new mid range drivers? I read something about replacing just the diaphragm? Thanks to everyone for advice and support.

set the dial of the Ohmmeter to Ohms , unscrew  6 screws ,    slowly gently  , separate  the top plate  from the magnet assembly   , place the prongs on the leads of the diaphragm and check   DCR  ,  above 10 Ohms the diaphragms are working ,   no reading  the diaphragms will have to be replaced 

001- Thank you for supplying the final clue! Slowly and gently is an understatement. Snug fit! I measured continuity from each speaker terminal to either side of the diaphragm. However,  I measured open across the diaphram. There's a light film on the diaphragm wires that blocks the probe. I razored off a small point. Same condition on both drivers K55X.

Called Klipsch for replacements, got 3 speaker supply references, only one, Midwest Spkr, carried them and there was a waiting list. The tech Dave was very knowledgeable and helpful and directed me to Bob Crites. Had a very informative discussion with Bob, particularly my testing and diagnosis. While we were talking he went into the back and got a K55X driver. Sent me pictures and walked me through. He agreed that is likely the problem. DISCLAIMER: I do not hold him to that. Phenomenal phone service!

The short version is I can send the old drivers for repair or purchase new drivers. I don't know what forum etiquette is about mentioning prices, but either way it's only a few hundred dollars. Shockingly reasonable!

The owner of these speakers inherited a big stack of great equipment. They're leaning towards keeping the speakers now. I would recommend the new ones especially  since the difference is only $110.

My thanks to all of you who have contributed your knowledge and experience to guide me through this. I was amazed at how many and how fast the responses were.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OldCrow said:

Called Klipsch for replacements, got 3 speaker supply references, only one, Midwest Spkr, carried them and there was a waiting list. The tech Dave was very knowledgeable and helpful and directed me to .........

if you want to buy klipsch parts , call or email @JEM Performance   JEM are a klipsch Heritage Dealer , JEM stocks the K55X drivers and I'm pretty sure JEM can supply the diaphragms including  the services to swap  defective diaphragms with new units 

412-401-6915 or email theaudioroom@verizon.net 

14 hours ago, pnort said:

So are these the speakers that just needed breaking in, or are there two LaScala posts and I'm confused. Nice to see a favorable mention of Crites.

2 different...this and the trouble with LS topic, which likely has resolved by now.

Edited by billybob
  • Like 1