Help needed with mij CW4 grille

Flevoman

Someone who can help me with my issue. I bought the CW4 over a year ago and immediately removed the grilles, storing them in the attic. Now, as these speakers are going to my brother in two weeks, I retrieve the grilles from the attic and notice very clear markings where the magnets from the other grille were in contact with the front. It seems like the gold wires have reacted somehow with the magnets from the other grille. No idea what to do about it. Using a mild soap doesn't do anything, and I'm hesitant to use chemicals. Any idea how this could happen and what I can do to remove these marks? I have a feeling the gold wires contain a metal that has oxidized. Also, I'm unsure if I can order a replacement grille if the stains are unremovable.

20231203_114700.jpg

20231203_115830.jpg

• This limited warranty does not cover failure of the product arising, in whole or in part, from improper installation, storage, transportation, misuse, abuse, accident, neglect, mishandling, unauthorized repair, modification, or wear from ordinary use or environmental deterioration.

I would call Klipsch and find out the cost of (1) new grill covering, and or frame and fabric.  From your description it sounds as if only one was affected.  I would think that any chemical cleaner would make the stain run down the fabric only making it look worse.   

17 minutes ago, Flevoman said:

But I was hoping someone could give me a tip to remove these stains.

a cleaner that's not approved by klipsch may make things worse ,  contact the dealer , report the issue , , dont do anything until klipsch have responded .with clear instructions .

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, OO1 said:

a cleaner that's not approved by klipsch may make things worse ,  contact the dealer , report the issue , , dont do anything until klipsch have responded .with clear instructions .

What happens if the cleaner that Klipsch approves makes it worse? 

That is a good question. Oxidation was also my thought. Possibly a galvanic interaction between two different metals. Similar to a Landrover Defender, when it swells in the places where the aluminium of the doors, mudguards etc is in contact with the steel ladder frame. Perhaps there is a metal component in the golden threads that came into contact with the magnets. If this is the case, cleaning will hardly help.

• Sad 1

If the mesh cannot be saved anyway, perhaps try using citric acid or baking powder dissolved in water. Old household remedies for rusty aluminium. Of course, I don't know what the covering material is made of, but it could be vapour-deposited metal on the fabric or metal strips like tinsel on a Christmas tree, similar to those used on Fender guitar amps.