Lascala cabinet resonance

Flevoman

I'm currently pondering the best approach to address my issue. It could be through a lengthy detailed text or perhaps a shortcut. I'll opt for the shortcut.

The LaScala 1 was known for its cabinet resonance. I believe this was addressed by placing a wedge in the bass cabinet to reduce the resonance. The LaScala II and the AL-5 have thicker walls. Is the general assumption that this completely eliminates the resonance? Or is there still some resonance present, and could, for example, a wedge in the bass cabinet still provide improvement?

I can measure a narrow peak at about 160 hz , but is it objectionable? , or is it simply bothersome to be aware of a narrow blip on a frequency response chart? Relax and enjoy the music. These  speakers have been overly scrutinized for years by those that cannot comprehend their extraordinary performance. These speakers are  in a class of their own , not to be confused with ordinary cone speakers. Lascala is an exceptional speaker , but if your looking for a speaker with ruler flat frequency response  , look elsewhere 🤓

• Like 7

Thanks for the replys

When I switched from the CW4 to the AL-5, there were a few points that bothered me. Now, after trying various amps, adjusting placement, and making other tweaks, most of the issues have disappeared—enough for me to enjoy these speakers. However, there's one point of annoyance I would really like to eliminate or at least reduce significantly. It's a kind of resonance that I can hear in the mid-bass with certain tracks. It sounds like cabinet resonance, but honestly, I have no idea where it might be coming from. Midhorn? Bass cabinet? Or something else? Due to some factors (which would make this a longer story if I were to mention them all), I suspect it might be a form of cabinet resonance. Hence, my question. But from what I gather, the AL-5 should be free from this, according to feedback.

I have found that some amplifiers can induce a resonance in the upper bass. I had a Sonic Frontiers Power 2 tube amp years ago that did just that. As soon as I got rid of that amp, the problem disappeared entirely.

Not saying that this is your issue, but have you heard it on more than one amp?

• Like 2

If you  think resonance is a  problem , try clamping on a stiffener to the suspected area , like the outside horn edge for example ,  then  compare results , test tones will be helpful . This way you can see for yourself any positive change ,Good luck 🤓

• Like 1

On 12/16/2023 at 6:46 AM, Flevoman said:

I'm currently pondering the best approach to address my issue. It could be through a lengthy detailed text or perhaps a shortcut. I'll opt for the shortcut.

The LaScala 1 was known for its cabinet resonance. I believe this was addressed by placing a wedge in the bass cabinet to reduce the resonance. The LaScala II and the AL-5 have thicker walls. Is the general assumption that this completely eliminates the resonance? Or is there still some resonance present, and could, for example, a wedge in the bass cabinet still provide improvement?

You can see the measurements made by Stereophile here and as can be seen there are some mechanical(sidewall) and acoustical resonances of it’s woofer horn in the 100Hz - 200Hz region that we need to be aware of.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/klipsch-la-scala-al5-loudspeaker-measurements

They show using a plastic-tape accelerometer attached to the center of the woofer horn’s sidewall (3) High Q resonances at (~125Hz, ~250Hz, ~500Hz). What signal type and level was used to produce the results aren’t mentioned in the article so how this relates to reproducing music isn’t fully clear for me. How audible and frequent this is in normal use while listening to music is questionable because any potential resonance becoming audible will depend on the exciting frequencies being present in the music and at what amplitude level and length of time applied to the resonance for it to develop it’s maximum audible effect.

Regardless of all the causes there is an apparent peak of up to +7db in the frequency response of the La Scala woofer-horn in the region between (100Hz - 200Hz) of it’s spectrum that we should be aware of.

IMHO based on experiences having owned both the original La Scala model as well a the La Scala AL5 is that it is very important to pay attention to how we position the speaker relative to (SBIR) Speaker Boundary Interference Response and Room Modes. What we must avoid is any additional SPL increase in this region of (100Hz - 200Hz) due to reinforcement from the Speaker-Boundary distance and Room Mode Coupling. IMHO if proper attention is given to the speaker’s location by again avoiding any additional reinforcement in the (100Hz - 200Hz region) then the La Scala Sidewall resonance potential hasn’t been an audible issue for me when listening to music.

miketn

• Like 6

• Klipsch Employees
12 hours ago, Flevoman said:

Known for its resonance?  Really?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/16/2023 at 6:31 PM, OO1 said:

I fail to see what AK has to do with LS1 resonance  ,   and the question was not in any way restrictive , 

A couple observations...

There are some really,really smart people there, including a lot of Klipscheads.

IIRC, the resonance in the LS is partly to do with the parallel doghouse and cabinet side walls. The Peavey FH-1 doesn't have that issue. Probably something they learned in designing them after the La Scala came out.

--

Now, I've been here 10 years longer than you... doesn't mean I know more, doesn't mean I know less. I'm here for all the friends I've met, and to pass on what real knowledge I've gained, hopefully to counter what is sometimes wrong information.

It looks like the majority of posts are in the lounge section, which is mostly us being friends, not helping out with Klipsch questions. Those posts have really tapered off in the past few months.

• Like 3