Help deciding: Heresy IV ($1800) or Chorus II ($1500)

I have an opportunity to purchase a Hereitage Heresy IV for about $1800 or Chorus II for $1500. (MAJOR EDIT: actually it’s a Chorus I 1989). 

Wondering how you would go about deciding between these two options. My feeling is the Heresy IV will have better long term value given its age (a few years old vs 34 years old) and may even sound “better” except in the lowest end. I do have a couple nice subs that I’d be happy to connect if needed but I would prefer to just have 2 speakers rather than managing a sub as well.  Amp is Marantz PM8006. 

Edited by Benbanksy
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Benbanksy said:

I have an opportunity to purchase a Hereitage Heresy IV for about $1800 or Chorus II for $1500. 

2 very good deals  , you cant go wrong with the Heresy IV , 

57 minutes ago, Benbanksy said:

I have an opportunity to purchase a Hereitage Heresy IV for about $1800 or Chorus II for $1500. 

Wondering how you would go about deciding between these two options. My feeling is the Heresy IV will have better long term value given its age (a few years old vs 34 years old) and may even sound “better” except in the lowest end. I do have a couple nice subs that I’d be happy to connect if needed but I would prefer to just have 2 speakers rather than managing a sub as well.  Amp is Marantz PM8006. 

Have you listened to both of them side by side? 
I don’t necessarily think the Hersey will have better long term value either. 
The PM8006 will suit the Hersey much better than the Chorus. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, nickyboy6100 said:

Have you listened to both of them side by side? 
I don’t necessarily think the Hersey will have better long term value either. 
The PM8006 will suit the Hersey much better than the Chorus. 

I have not listened to either. 

I heard an older Klipsch at a noisy holiday party a few years ago and couldn’t believe how good they sounded. I think it was a Heresy model. 

I then connected my phone to a pair of Fortes II at an AirBnB this summer and was floored at the vividness and depth. It sounded like Raffi was right there playing for the kids. 

In short, I think I caught the Klipsch bug I’m trying to itch it with the best that I can find right now. 

I’m wondering which would be more versatile or shine better in a 400-600 sq ft space as well as a 200 sq ft space?  It’s likely that over the years I’ll be moving it around as we renovate. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Benbanksy said:

I have not listened to either. 

I heard an older Klipsch at a noisy holiday party a few years ago and couldn’t believe how good they sounded. I think it was a Heresy model. 

I then connected my phone to a pair of Fortes II at an AirBnB this summer and was floored at the vividness and depth. It sounded like Raffi was right there playing for the kids. 

In short, I think I caught the Klipsch bug I’m trying to itch it with the best that I can find right now. 

I’m wondering which would be more versatile or shine better in a 400-600 sq ft space as well as a 200 sq ft space?  It’s likely that over the years I’ll be moving it around as we renovate. 

You can’t really compare the Heresy to the Chorus. I would pick the Chorus II over the Heresy IV in any situation. That is just my opinion. The only downfall to the Chorus II is they need space behind them to sound their best so they end up taking quite a bit of space. Minimum of 1ft. between them and a wall or corner. They also need more power than the PM8006 that you have. I am speaking from experience. 

43 minutes ago, nickyboy6100 said:

They also need more power than the PM8006 that you have. I am speaking from experience. 

Could you elaborate? I thought they don’t need a ton a power to drive these because they are so efficient. 

What would be an appropriate  power output? 

Just now, Benbanksy said:

Could you elaborate? I thought they don’t need a ton a power to drive these because they are so efficient. 

They don’t need a ton of power and will sound ok with the PM8006. Chorus speakers sound good at low listening volumes, but don’t really start to shine until you give them some power. I could never get them to “open up” with the PM8006. They seemed lifeless with that amp. I don’t really know how else to explain it. Other’s here can probably explain it better. An amp with higher current and higher wattage just sounds better with the Chorus line. It doesn’t have to be expensive, one of the best amps I ran with them was the B&K ST-140. You can pick them up pretty cheap. If you end up with the Chorus, message me and I can give you a lot more suggestions on amps and placement. They are a really good speaker that don’t get the praise they deserve. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Benbanksy said:

I agree with what Nickyboy is saying: The Chorus will sound better at any level over the Heresy, AND that the Chorus (when given the proper wattagessses) will come alive in a manner that the Heresy just can't, or Forte, or Cornwall or...... and I really do like the Heresy. 

Also, I liked my PM8006, BUT it just didn't do it for me. I bought the Yamaha A-S1000 and the PM8006 at the same time to AB them against each other. To be honest, the Yamaha didn't do it either. Other things out there make me say WOW. It's not the destination, it's the journey that brings us WOWs.

Also, welcome to the madhouse.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Benbanksy said:

Major edit: this is actually a late model Chorus I (1989). 

does that change folks opinion of this Heresy vs Chorus decision?

Definitely yes, maybe. What's better about the Chorus 1 is that they don't have the passive radiator in the back. The tradeoff is the mid-horn. Still, the Chorus all day long over the Heresy.  

<edit> $1,500 for stock Chorus 1 is a bit high, IMHO. 

How large is your listening area? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Benbanksy said:

I’d say it might be better. Chorus 1 can be pushed against the wall. I think the mid horn is better on the 2, but I’d still go Chorus over Hersey IV. I’d go Chorus over any other Klipsch home speaker that isn’t horn loaded. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Benbanksy said:

stick with the Heresy IV , you're better off buying the newer product vs tinkering with older speakers 

If I did get the Chorus I, I also have a Sony home theatre receiver (4400es) that outputs 125wpc at 8ohms. Would that be better than the Marantz for showcasing them? To be honest, I don’t love the sound that comes out of it, but it does have more power.