Help deciding: Heresy IV ($1800) or Chorus II ($1500)

24 minutes ago, Benbanksy said:

If I did get the Chorus I, I also have a Sony home theatre receiver (4400es) that outputs 125wpc at 8ohms. Would that be better than the Marantz for showcasing them? To be honest, I don’t love the sound that comes out of it, but it does have more power. 

I would say no. You’d be better off with the PM8006 between those 2. 

2 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

How large is your listening area? 

Listening area could range from 200 sqft (if kept in a room)  to about 500 sq ft. (If I keep in the main living space, which is more likely). I don’t listen super loud, though.  

1 hour ago, Benbanksy said:

If I did get the Chorus I, I also have a Sony home theatre receiver (4400es) that outputs 125wpc at 8ohms. Would that be better than the Marantz for showcasing them? To be honest, I don’t love the sound that comes out of it, but it does have more power. 

You never know what it will sound like with that speaker until you try. I have a feeling that Heresy price might be more firm, negotiate on the Chorus.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Benbanksy said:

does that change folks opinion of this Heresy vs Chorus decision?

You are new here, which makes it difficult to know who to listen to. Chorus 1 and CHII have never been a problem. As Nick said, he would pick the Chorus over any other home speaker offering that is not horn-loaded. The Chorus are great speakers.

As I said, I like the Heresy. The fact is that when the Heresy is shouting as loud as they can, the Chorus will deliver the same loudness of sound at a higher quality while only idling. They are real chest thumpers.   

I’ve had my original pair of chorus I since college.  Hauled them to dorm and home for 4 years, and every other place I lived since. I started with a 27 watt Denon.  In the square footage you are talking, 27 watts is plenty and will clear the room.  I like them so much I bought a vintage pair in good shape a couple years ago, fixed a tweeter, and all is good.  More watts can do some interesting things with the bass as it can handle 1000 watt peaks but for everyday listening you don’t need or quite frankly want the sound of a big amp at low volume due to noise floor and other issues I have discovered over the years unless you have good loudness controls…the old Denon had variable loudness.  As I stepped up to Sony AVR it had more power, a little more shimmer on highs but was kind of a dolt on the midrange.  I got used to it.  More recently I upgraded to Yamaha AVR and two channel gear and have exercised the Chorus quite a bit with high power and artists like Yello in Atmos.  Quite a treat.  

One of my best old friends used to help me carry those Chorus in the box in college.  We still chat to this day.  Maybe it was the experience of needing two people to haul those things upstairs and get them carefully unboxed and reboxed that helped cement the friendship.  

The point is that you can move a Heresy by yourself in the box.  You won’t be able to haul a Chorus by yourself up stairs unless you’re a dolly professional and even then it’s a risk doing it alone.  The trade off however is potential friendship, sharing a beer for the help and some good tunes when it’s hooked up. 

I use my Chorus as surrounds now because thankfully they are tall enough to fire over the couch.  Once your Heresy’s play second fiddle you’ll need stands or brackets.

Both are fantastic for what they are.  My first Klipsch experience was at a friend’s house who put Heresy’s way up in a bookshelf in a sunken den with bumper pool, pinball and popcorn machine, wired to some pioneer elite gear playing 

I will never forget the sound.  I still get the chills. 

• Like 2

Oh, and I paid $1600 for my originals new and gladly paid $3200 for the mint condition ones a couple years ago.  I considered storage fees and inflation.  As much as I have hauled my originals and laid on sides before abused with candle wax and who knows what else, the wood, glue and veneers are intact and the woofers are as tight as ever, crossover caps look clean no leakage.  Glad my hearing survived.  At some point mine need a little finish cleanup but I have other priorities. 

If you’re familiar with live piano, the Chorus nails piano.  I mean nails it.  

Listen before you buy.  Pay close attention to the drivers, ensure originals.  Any mods besides a simple replaceable Crites diaphragm will lower the value in my opinion.  Use klipsch or klipsch certified repair. 

But don’t buy for future investment value.  Buy because you can’t live without the sound.  

Yep, here it is from the manual:

PLACEMENT
Your Klipsch Heresy loudspeakers will perform well in a variety of
locations but best results will be achieved using the following general
guidelines:
• Place on a common wall 6 to 15 feet apart.
• Position them equidistant from the wall behind the speakers.
• Leave at least 12” between the wall and the back of the speaker.

4 hours ago, billybob said:

How about you @Benbanksy

Got those Chorus? Thanks

I am picking up on Friday! Hopefully I can dolly them up stairs... 90 lbs cabinets solo is tough to wrangle. I may need (will likely need) to ask a neighbor for help. I'm going to clear out a bunch of audio stuff I don't use anymore to justify these. Can't wait. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Benbanksy said:

I am picking up on Friday! Hopefully I can dolly them up stairs... 90 lbs cabinets solo is tough to wrangle. I may need (will likely need) to ask a neighbor for help. I'm going to clear out a bunch of audio stuff I don't use anymore to justify these. Can't wait. 

Woohoo!  It’s not the weigth per se it’s the width.  Even out of the box it’s still hard to move alone esp on wood floor.  We do a 2-hand press and lift method on both sides.  You can certainly lift and flip up stairs in box if desperate just watch the shifting. Also if in original box open top, leave styrofoam in, flip then lift.  

You’re gonna love them.  Hope they’re in good shape and working order. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stephen Buck said:

Woohoo!  It’s not the weigth per se it’s the width.  Even out of the box it’s still hard to move alone esp on wood floor.  We do a 2-hand press and lift method on both sides.  You can certainly lift and flip up stairs in box if desperate just watch the shifting. Also if in original box open top, leave styrofoam in, flip then lift.  

You’re gonna love them.  Hope they’re in good shape and working order. 

Yes, it seems like they are. Fingers crossed. I will be moving with help from dolly, so I hope I can get them 98% into position and then just shimmy as needed. I'll probably put them on a towel or something. 

• Like 1

I moved my C2's from the back of our minivan. S L O L W L Y slid them on to a 2 wheel cart with a bungie cord, one at a time. Up the front steps, turned boxes upside down and lifted off like @Stephen Buck and slid them on our wood floors with reversible furniture sliders:

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/furniture-sliders,/k,/results.html?cid=327759&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=pkwcpc&track=psmsn&msclkid=9862a15a42a21507130fc4c55db7122b&utm_campaign=B_PKW_S_Headterms_[Home_Improvement]|327759&utm_term=furniture sliders&utm_content=Furniture Sliders

• Like 1