Newbie needs help - Hersey HBR

Pak323

On 1/30/2024 at 9:59 PM, Invidiosulus said:

My favorite stand for a pair of Heresy is another pair Heresy.

Probably the ones you gave me... I have new caps on the way.

These sound great up on the Snails.

• Like 1

Thanks again @MC39693 re paint info.  Will look for them from local hardware stores.  Have pretty much finished the outside over the last few days.  Was planning to do the motor boards this weekennd but ended up spending many hours in the ER of RJH today (helping a 86 year old neighbor who has a fall accident this morning : (   Will definitely post some pics soon.  

• Like 2

Sanding was basically done.  This is the extent of sending I felt comfortable before loosing vaneer on the surfaces. Certain areas with old stain etched in the grain so good that cannot not be 100% sended out. 

20240205_143929_resized.jpg

20240205_151719_resized.jpg

20240205_151812_resized.jpg

20240205_151820_resized.jpg

• Like 2

@Pak323 Wow, ok, the last time I saw that was maybe April  1981.  I was working on an assignment in Edmonton when I bought them and took them up to Ft. McMurray when I was finished that work and I think that is when I stained them.  Are you going to stain them or paint them?  What a journey!

• 2 weeks later...

Cabinets refinishing pretty much done. I hope I did not offend any of your faithful Klipsch Hersey fans by picking this color scheme.  The original raw birch plywood, even with pre-stain conditioner, still came up blotchy. However the blotchiness turned out up giving the cabinets some vintage feel.20240222_105441.thumb.jpg.df7e3b996ebae7aa433e142c6e0d0efd.jpg So far I am quite pleased with the results. Soon to reassemble and enjoy music from them 🙂

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pak323 said:

Cabinets refinishing pretty much done. I hope I did not offend any of your faithful Klipsch Hersey fans by picking this color scheme.  The original raw birch plywood, even with pre-stain conditioner, still came up blotchy. However the blotchiness turned out up giving the cabinets some vintage feel.20240222_105441.thumb.jpg.df7e3b996ebae7aa433e142c6e0d0efd.jpg So far I am quite pleased with the results. Soon to reassemble and enjoy music from them 🙂

They look great!  Nice work!

• Like 2

Those look really nice. Not quite a JBL blue, a little more subdued (unless it's the lighting). I think the finish on the birch looks fine.

I have black HIIs, and keep thinking I could have them natural, but it's always a guess what's under the paint. Sometimes it's mismatched veneer. Plus, black cabinets tend to disappear after a while.

52 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Those look really nice. Not quite a JBL blue, a little more subdued (unless it's the lighting). I think the finish on the birch looks fine.

I have black HIIs, and keep thinking I could have them natural, but it's always a guess what's under the paint. Sometimes it's mismatched veneer. Plus, black cabinets tend to disappear after a while.

Thanks Marvel.  Haha just think blue will be cool. Not trying to Mimic JBL blue but I had to go thru three variations of blue paint before I settled on this one.  You are right they definitely looks different under different lighting.  I figured the motor boards can easily be changed back to black if I get bored by it. 

@Pak323, I like it! Don’t loose those grills and badges if you display open to show off that blue!  May you enjoy them for 40+ years as I did. Still listening to my highly changed 1984s in original walnut veneer, grills etc. going to be 40 this year too.

1 hour ago, MC39693 said:

@Pak323, I like it! Don’t loose those grills and badges if you display open to show off that blue!  May you enjoy them for 40+ years as I did. Still listening to my highly changed 1984s in original walnut veneer, grills etc. going to be 40 this year too.

For sure @MC39693. I usually display and listen to my speakers without the grills attached but definitely won't loose them,  Thank you again for keeping them in such good shape.  I sometimes feel speaker grills are something in the past : )

On 2/23/2024 at 1:18 AM, Pak323 said:

For sure @MC39693. I usually display and listen to my speakers without the grills attached but definitely won't loose them,  Thank you again for keeping them in such good shape.  I sometimes feel speaker grills are something in the past : )

you really did a great job on those speakers -- congrats!

@Pak323 I hope they sound as good as they look.  Really well done in keeping vintage speakers going!  We'll get a time together hopefully and have a listen to both sets; the 1980 you've updated and my "changed" 1984 in honour of the women and men who built both sets more than 40 years ago!

Edited by MC39693