Type E to type AA conversion

7 minutes ago, Mycuff said:

I have an AL and its bad. Looking at options now.  One being an E to AA conversion I saw.  Curious on people’s thoughts on that.  

I assume you have the K55M and K77M?  For my own information, does the K77M mount flush with the back or the front of the motor board?  

• Like 2

great idea ,  buy an AA kit from JEM + the missing parts ,  skip the Zener diodes    , if you dont like the sound of the K-55M with the AA , you can sell these off and buy K-55V drivers , both K-55V and K-55M extend to 6KHz as long as the diaphragms are Original .  

• Sad 1

Bad idea. Wrong network for the drivers he is using. You have been told this at least a half dozen times.

Also, JEM “has no missing parts”, only I do.

I think I am done with this nonsense along with everything else that has come with it. 

@Chief bonehead

Please remove me as a Klipsch Authorized builder.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I may be a party of one, but I find the AA with those drivers unlistenable.  To start with, the K55M's FR extends flat to 6khz compared to the K55V, which starts fluctuating around 4.5khz.  I believe that's a big reason why the AL has the steep 6khz high pass to the K77M.

The AA's tweeter filter is really closer to a 5khz high pass, and somewhat equalized to blend with the K55V.  With the AA, there is an overlap from around 4.5khz to 6khz that I found annoying.  I know this because I built a pair of AA's and tested them on my AK-2 Khorns.

Again, I may be alone on this, but since you asked 😎

Mike

• Thanks 2

the specs of the 70's -80's  K-55V with the original Atlas diaphragm indicated that it extended to 6KHz  whether single or dual phase plug  and so does the K-55M  , but the K-55M was hotter , and we all know that the newer 2001 K-55X , PD5VH  including the newer D-20GB diaphragms only extend to 4100Hz .

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Deang said:

Bad idea. Wrong network for the drivers he is using. You have been told this at least a half dozen times.

Also, JEM “has no missing parts”, only I do.

Yeah, he has edited his post, at least once. 

32 minutes ago, Deang said:

I think I am done with this nonsense along with everything else that has come with it. 

@Chief bonehead

Please remove me as a Klipsch Authorized builder.

You have been on this forum for 24 years. You've been a lot of help to many people who needed it, both in the technical field and a lot of comic relief.
I sure hate that it came to this, especially since it was avoidable.

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, OO1 said:

the specs of the 70's -80's  K-55V with the original Atlas diaphragm indicated that it extended to 6KHz  whether single or dual phase plug  and so does the K-55M  , but the K-55M was hotter , and we all know that the newer 2001 K-55X , PD5VH  including the newer D-20GB diaphragms only extend to 4100Hz .

It may extend to 6khz, but not gracefully.  Or am I missing something???

K-55.thumb.jpg.5273bcbc61ea346d4ee5f211fd776050.jpg.ade0c28e386d0e2ed938cf0795de9bc9.jpg 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mycuff said:

I did not mean to roll a grenade into this forum. Holy cow what just happened?

You did nothing wrong. There has been a troll who has crapped in countless threads and it had been tiresome for WAY too long. There is a little more to the story, but you had nothing to do with any of it. 

I sent you a PM earlier. Did you see it? 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Mycuff said:

I tried finding an existing thread on this topic but was unsuccessful.  Is this a fairly routine XO conversion that really mimics a Type AA when complete?

That is called a Type HIE, sorta.  The Type HIE was used in pro Heresies.  The woofer was different, and the squawker and tweeter were run at 104/105 dB like a Type AA and with the same filters.  The woofer crossover point was changed to account for the K-700 horn.  The woofer was capable of 100+ dB, so they were bright, but worked very well outdoors. 

I modified my center channel Heresy to be as much like a Type AA as possible, but keep the squawker and tweeter levels down to match the woofer.  It does work and improves the timbre match of the center to the La Scala mains.  However, there is no reason to build such a crossover except to match a similar KH/B/LS. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mycuff said:

I did not mean to roll a grenade into this forum. Holy cow what just happened?

After all that drama, I forgot to answer the other part of your question...

1)  Either add a 10uf to 12uf capacitor in parallel with the main high pass capacitor, or replace it with a 12uf to 14uf.

2)  Move the K55V to tap 4 of the T2A.

3)  Move the K77M to tap 5 of the T2A.

4)  Change the K55V and K77M polarities back to normal.

5)  On the tweeter filter, add a parallel 245uf inductor and second 2uf capacitor.

Please excuse my poor illustration 😀

Heresy_Type_E.jpg.5d2e10b6c333384c66ee9a0c29ab6703.jpg.522aedd555f547cc3817d5c47573926c.jpg 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1