loss of space shuttle...

avman

I'm with you there man.

I was on my way to work this morning and heard it on the radio, once i got to work i turned on the sat and checked out the pic's . WOOO what a fire ball.

I may be a canadian but i strongly stand behind the usa and other countrys that reach for the sky's.

brave folks indeed . Sad news sad day

My oldest brother (John) was an engineer for Challenger in 1985-6. He worked for a company called Cincinnati Electronics near Kings Island just North East of the city. John designed and built a rather special radio for the Challenger shuttle. This radio was only controlled by Mission Control on the ground. It was a kind of skuttle button designed to destroy the shuttle if it was no longer under intended controls and was heading for a major city or somehow hi-jacked.

Needless to say John was glued to my television for three days straight in 1986 without sleep.

Sad stuff 15.gif ...

It will be interesting to hear what happened. I can't imagine what it would be like to be involved with NASA right now, especially if you were part of the team that worked on the ship itself.

Then there are the sick b@stards that will be putting up fake eBay auctions for the next few months...

Well, with this and war, we are certainly in some interesting, turbulant times.

Unfortunately even with more money and safety improvements, I don't think we'll ever be able to completely ensure the safety of our astronauts when problems occur at 200,000 feet and mach 18, but I'm definitely for more money to make our space program the safest it possibly can be.

Sad day.

Without the space program, the human race will be f'ed in 500 years. I mean, we need to expand our territory and do more stuff in space.

I will say, except for the Mars probe and the excitement, what has really happened in the last 20 years? I don't think we will ever make it to Mars - unless NASA gets uber money, or it is able to accept private funding.

Well, all I can say is the space program is vital, and it needs to get a major kick to get up and moving again.

Yes, the space program should continue, just as W. indicated earlier today. All the astronauts know the risks involved, and they're still willing to take these risks to further the development of space exploration. Nonetheless, as with the Challenger astronauts, these 7 from Columbia will also be remembered and honored for their bravery!

I can imagine the horror the people of Texas felt as they heard the sonic booms and saw the blumes of smoke come crashing down to earth. Being a Florida resident, I still remember where I was when Challenger exploded, looking up into the clear blue sky and seeing the blume of white smoke all of a sudden branch out into many smaller blumes of smoke, and then the boom! Your heart sinks low and you feel sick to your stomach when you realize that you just witnessed the tragic death of 7 brave astronauts (9/11 made me feel the same way)! I will never forget that moment...

My hearts out to all the families and friends of these fallen victims.

I was listening to NPR this morning when the news came. It brought to mind the Challenger and the Apollo fire.

It also brought to mind that after those disasters, a few people suggested that reconsideration of the value of the program should be entertained. Lynnm, you and I are usually on the same wavelenght. Yet I couldn't disagree more.

Certainly the folks who lost their lives would be the last to suggest that their passing should serve as an opportunity to thwart the projects they held dear.

Gil

Horrible news for sure. And only about 16 minutes away from a safe landing. Is that right?

I just don't see what is being gained from all these shuttle flights. I think they are flying too much, and perhaps a little laxness has crept into the operation. I mean, it wouldn't take much letdown to cause a disaster. And for cryin' out loud, that ship was built in 1979!!! Maybe it should have been retired after ~only~ twenty years.

Perhaps God means for man to stay on the world he gave us. He did put everything here we need.

I pray for the families and other loved ones of the shuttle crew-members...and for the souls of the crew-members, themselves.

If these fine folks didn't see a need for the space program, then they wouldn't have been in the business to begin with! As a matter of fact, many of those who have participated in the program have often given up the possibility of attaining a higher military rank(and with it a higher salary and retirement pay scale) in doing so! They are all heroes to me! They all see that the benefits of this program far exceed the stated goals of each mission, and have the foresight to see what the future will gain from the experiments they carry out while on these missions.

Some of you say you don't see the need...well...if you are ever having heart surgery, you will....if you are one prone towards ever having cancer, you will...etc...etc. There have been more advances made for our everyday lives thanks to the space program than most of you will ever realize. The computer you sit at and use to write your messages is just one example! Take into consideration all of the advances in plastics, medicine, miniaturized electronics, and other things brought about by the space program's needs and it is obvious that the program has paid for itself in benefits to us all a thousand times over!

Yes, it is tragic to lose people, but their loss will NOT be forgotten...and when one considers that we have had just THREE such accidents in the last 40+ years of manned spaceflight programs in this country...the cost in lives lost has actually been minimal for all the benefit we ALL have derived from it!

My hat is off to those who have gone, and will continue to go, into space for us here on earth, and my prayers are for the souls who have never made it home from this effort! They are all heroes to HUMANITY, not just to space flight!