$1000 amps

Deang

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would see if I could collect parts for the "Horus 2A3 Silver" by Jean-François Lessard. At $1K I might have to make a few part compromises, but could upgrade later. Because I'm sure a 2A3 parafeed SET design by Jean-François Lessard is tops. I wanted to build this amp before I built the Moondogs, but knew I didn't have sufficient experience with designs and components of this quality. Now I'm more confident and would build a pair.

Bottlehead Paramour (or Paraglow if I could find an extra $150) because they are 2A3 SETs.

I am just a few bucks shy of pulling the trigger on buying a used Mac s.s. amp from Audio Classic, one of them with blue meters and auto transformers.

Why? The meters look cool. Also, I'd like something which has great technical merit. And beyond that, I dunno. I just want it. It will make me happy.

On the other hand, you may have seen that Nelson Pass has been supplying a schematic for the penulitmate Zen DIY running Class A. The word shows that there is an ultimate Zen in the works. I expect it will have the super symetry which he recently advocates. So I'll just have to wait and see.

Gil

for $900 . I'd buy the Decware ZenSE84C-Select

http://www.decware.com/zas.gif

only if you have speakers 93db or above.

Why ?

Excellent SET amp

$45 bucks to re-tube

pre-amp not required, can run any 2.83v source direct, and use the gain control

imazing imaging

huge soundstage

1st class customer support

sound better than amps costing many times more

William.......which models are you looking at? Been thinking of going that route to. Been looking at there two-channel ss amps with meters in the 100 watt/channel range. I do know from checking out the prices on some of the late 70's and early 80's amps and wow do they hold there prices nice. The stuff just doesn't go down in prices.

get MORE vintage tubes...get those pilot 232s...a Brook 12a PP 2A3...a Marantz 8b...Dynaco Mk IV monoblocks and upgrade the crap out of them...maybe a hot rod ST-70...how about an MC240?...get the Eico magic EL34 box...oh boy!!! tony

p.s. want more??? how about a scott 299d? the Brook 10a? Leak EL34...

I'm with sunnysal all the way !! Buy vintage and update it !! You can not match the seasoned Iron for the money no way no how !!! Mark III's would come in over your mark having them done , ST-70 could come in nicely under that mark even paying to have it done. EICO also made some sweet power amps but they usually bring some serious cheese. The options are endless !!

Craig

Gil and Chris are reading my mind. I love my SS McIntosh MC250 (all original, not modified or updated). With my CD player directly connected to the Mac's inputs, the sound through my Cornwalls (also original) is quite remarkable, despite what others may think.

For a little over $1000, I did own my dream amplifier, a used McIntosh MC7200. Sure, it was a 53 lbs. SS beast at 200 WPC (overkill for the Cornwalls), big beautiful power meters, and it didn't have Autoformers, but it sounded sweet nonetheless! The difference was quite appearant from the Carver TFM-35x I used previously.

If I could choose any amplifier now in the $1000+ range, I think I'd select a vintage McIntosh MC225 vacuum tube amplifier, which IMHO is a perfect amp to compliment my Klipsch! After having it gone through by a qualified tech, replacing any failed caps or other components, I would keep this classic indefinately...and my Cornwalls would sing ever so gracefully!

I'd do just what I am now. Buying Pat's 330 WE clone SET amp. If not that, I would probably consider one of the Audio Note Kits. No doubt about the quality of the designs and the ability to upgrade the parts used in them to world class, no matter what level parts you put in it initially. Nothing in the SS world could interest me.

Klipsch out.

Gotta look at the Antique Sound Labs 2A3 Tulip. It's built like a tank, looks fantastic, has all potted transformers & sounds good.

For $999 list, you could not buy the parts (heavy chassis, potted transformers & chokes, caps, etc.) to build it yourself (ie - DIY).

I don't know how they do it in China / Hong Kong.... must be cheap labor & all parts are sourced from China.

Audios,

Pete 4.gif

I left the original circuits all in place, just put in new caps and resistors, nothing exotic, sprague orange drops for example, selenium diode replaced, triode mod put in with a switch, new RCA plugs, new five way posts. it turned out nice and reliable. stopped short of replacing the input section since it sounded so nice, I have some decent NOS RCA 7199s in there...regards, tony

There must be 50 ways to leave your SS amplifier. I left mine and bought the Bottlehead 2A3 Paramours, a few years ago, for a bushel of reasons:

1. The big old horns were not going, at any price

2. Old style, low Class A, SS power was harsh, steely, metallic and wearing

3. Oodles of Carver power was impressive, but ultimately wearing

4. $1K in a new receiver buys chintzy black boxes of tin

5. Six channel sound is still not here yet

6. HORNS LOVE TUBES

7. Tubes provide plentiful even-order distortion

8. Specs didnt matter, quality of sound did

9. The 2A3 tube is the tone king of tubes

10. Only a few ultra-high sensivity 100dB/w/m loudspeakers are capable of using such refined low power

11. I dont often crank bass-heavy techno to absurd levels small jazz groups, slightly above normal conversation levels is the norm

12. The room was large, but the seating was close

13. Two Klipsch subs fill in the lower and mid (but too often upper) bass

14. Tube pre-amplifier warmed the CD sound wonderfully

15. I was not going back to the black 12 vinyl discs

16. Many owners report that their tube amplifier is their last amplifier

17. Unknown used models needing unknown and unavailable repairs, upgrades or modification were scary

18. Tube amplifiers dont fail outright, they just sound worse and worse (also scary in a old model)

19. Disinterested local retailers only had far more expensive tube models

20. The manufacturer had two new assembled models available

21. Monoblocks provide better separation

22. They were customized and upgraded

23. They were brand new with something of a warranty

24. The Bottlehead forum supports upgrades

25. They are single ended triode, not push-pull

26. Parafeed circuitry allows lower cost and smaller transformers

27. Very simple circuit design

28. Auto-biasing of the tubes - no bias adjustment screws

29. New tubes, with good reviews

30. The tubes are NOT run hot, so they dont burn up quickly

31. Standard or unique output and driver tubes used

32. Plenty of tubes at popular tube warehouses

33. Tube still in production = new tubes to choose from

34. Low replacement cost of tubes

35. You can see when the tubes need replacing (lots of carbon build-up and a cherry glow)

36. Point to point wiring

37. Class A topology

38. Upgrades available, such as the ones for the Dynaco ST70s

39. Taps for 4-ohm output

40. Large binding posts handle spade loudspeaker wires

41. No old or possibly scratchy knobs

42. I can sell it for what I paid for it

43. Looks didnt matter, sound did

44. Their DIY looks save money

45. Custom paint job

46. Medium size bottle is pretty to look at

47. No children to touch the tubes

48. Already had separate components

49. If I didnt like them, I could use them with my old Stax headphones (sounds wonderful!)

50. Wife loves their sound

The other models Id consider now are Fisher, Scott, Eico (with NOS440 to rebuild the things), but especially even better 2A3 models from ASL Tulip, Welbourne, and Wright Sound.

2.gif

Colin,

Spend a little time on that one ?? Nice job !!

Sunnysal,

Did you do the triode mode switch yourself ?? I would love to see how you/they accomplished this with a switch ? Is it a single switch to control it ? Very interested in this if you haven't noticed 2.gif

Craig

----------------

On 2/7/2003 4:50:51 AM jazman wrote:

I'd do just what I am now. Buying Pat's 330 WE clone SET amp. If not that, I would probably consider one of the Audio Note Kits. No doubt about the quality of the designs and the ability to upgrade the parts used in them to world class, no matter what level parts you put in it initially. Nothing in the SS world could interest me.

Klipsch out.

----------------

Where can I get info on Pat's WE clone SET. Thanks in advance for your help.