Why Not A "Windows" For Old People?

JJkizak

I've no idea how WIndows became the dominant OS. This is typed on a 15 year old iMac with a 7 year old OS that is reliable as a rock. I've never owned anything but Apple since the '80s. OS9 was...uhm....errr...challenging. Yeah that's it challenging.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've never had any problems with windows stability, especially over the last ten years.  Why it became dominant is a marketing question, and easily answered.  (Hint:  apple prefers to keep their product away from whomever they can't control).  My limited experience with apple "phones" is that constant updates seem to be the norm.  Its work provided, and don't ever expect me to pay for their product.  There are no heroes in this business, just pick your poison...

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I've never had any problems with windows stability, especially over the last ten years.  Why it became dominant is a marketing question, and easily answered.  (Hint:  apple prefers to keep their product away from whomever they can't control).  My limited experience with apple "phones" is that constant updates seem to be the norm.  Its work provided, and don't ever expect me to pay for their product.  There are no heroes in this business, just pick your poison...

The only stable Windows I have had is Windows 3.1. All the rest have had multiple flaws. Including updates that made the system unusable.

JJK

1 minute ago, JJkizak said:

The only stable Windows I have had is Windows 3.1. All the rest have had multiple flaws. Including updates that made the system unusable.

JJK

I went for 3.11. I had a small network in the house and my shop. 

We are about 2/3 Linux and the rest windows 11 where I work. For us, the Linux was easier to install and deploy, mos updays can be done with no reboots. If you don't need perfect compatibility with MS Office, Libre Office is also free and works quite well (also a windows and Mac version available).

If you don't specifically need a Windows app, Linux is pretty easy to setup. Twenty minutes and you are done. While there are ones that look like other OS's, ours look pretty similar to Win 7, so it's easy from the get go.

Windows does have some advantages from a management point of view. MS is a huge supporter of the Linux community, and when Apple came up their OS after OS9, they used BSD Unix with their own widow manager. The physics teachers at the college I. Worked at didn't necessarily like Apple, but they loved being able to compile and run Unix app on their Macs.

Crazy world. I have both a Windows and Linusystem at my job.

Windows 7 was an excellent operating system. Like when they actually charged you for it and didn't make you "The Product". I hated subsequent versions enough I went to Apple. Kept it until it was unsupported.

When it became "free" it went to bleep. I guess since I don't use this for a job and I just need to be able to buy overinflated concert tickets on Ticketmaster and parts from Sonic Craft I guess this will be good enough. LOL.

I bought a used Windows laptop (from a member here in fact) to get into the "back door" finer-points controls of my Mac home theater preamp but never did hook that in (I'm a network moron), suppose I will once I get around to that project as opposed to other more pressing matters.

• Like 1

You still have the Apple product? You could install Linux on it. I'm not on a crusade. But there are versions foe most hardware out there (unless it's a pre Intel Mac)

You  can try it out by booting off a USB thumb drive, to get a feel for it.

xpx64

Eset Nod32/64 2.xxx

Kerio Personal Firewall

Hosts MVPS

That was the height of what I've though of as the best. It was a machine that I could control!