Sound quality effect with the grills on/ off?

legend9

I noticed Klipsch's grilles have a lot of plastic moddings , unlike my previous Polk's grilles, where the plastics are only at the corners, instead of in front of the drivers. Does this effect the performance? I agree the gilles feel and look like a higher quality kind, but does this have a drawback ? Anyone did a test w/ and w/out them on the speakers?

Are you referring to the reference series. I have rf-3 II, rc-3 II, rs-3 II, and a rsw-12. The grilles on the rf-3's did have a lot of plastic in them, so I removed them. I enjoy the sound quality much more. Also I like the way they look with the grilles off, just striking. I removed the grilles off the rest of the series, since i think it looks best to have all speaker the same.

• 8 years later...

Hmmm so does anyone really have an exact answer to his question? I have RF-82s and wonder the same thing occasionally. You would think if it affected the sound that Klipsch would not build the grills/covers like that right? Anybody else think they sound better with them off? I just may try it and see. No kids to worry about...for now at least -__-

• Moderators

You would think if it affected the sound that Klipsch would not build the grills/covers like that right?

Well for all we know the design could include the affect of the grill cover in the final tuning ? [:)] [:#]

Hmmm so does anyone really have an exact answer to his question?

Apparently not over the last 8 years anyway. [:P]

Really if you think about it it is such a very small difference if any, compared to other things that make a big difference, like the room, quality of recording and equipment used.

• Moderators

Lol ^^^ good point man. I totally didn't even look at the date of the last post my bad. Haha well I just may take a second listen with all my grills off. Looks like the general consensus is that it does affect the sound quality some.

The age of the question don't really matter, did not look like anyone came up with a good answer over the years did they [:D] It may affect it slightly but probably very little overall ? Probably less than a few beers affects the sound. [:P]

Nice avatar