Dont be missudaztood ...HK430+LaScals=big butt kick'n

ricktate

Just got my second HK430 and look out...can you hear me now..lol..im typing as loud as i can.....Tight,Clean,Loud...hahaha love it...guys grab them up while you can....Jim got 2 now...i got 2 well me and my son.I can imagine what this baby does to K-Horns....well have a good day...Wude Wick9.gif

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I'd sure like to hear how they sound on the LaScalas!

Like I said before, a late 70s H/K 430 and a late 70s pair of Heresys have to be the best bang-for-your-buck AND the best sounding 2 channel setup you can get, in my opinion.

How do your LaScalas sound? I'll bet they sound very bright with deep tight bass, right? That's how my Heresys sound...

Best sounding two channel system you can get??? Very bright is not my cup of tea, per say, although I assume you mean that in a positive way.

Man, these are some strong statements. I dont know if I would really make these claims before hearing more than a smattering of gear. There is a lot of stuff out there. Although I will be the first to admit the little 430 seems to be a hell of a deal and the low cost SS bargain thanks to Andy, I wonder what the equipment exposure is for those throwing accolades to this extreme. I would love for someone to send me one to go up against all the stuff I have auditioning at the moment. If so, it will be the first 70s receiver I have heard to come near to the vintage tube amps, many in the same price range. I think it would be interesting to hear it go up against 2003 Tripath Digital amplification, the new low cost SS.

I havent heard a H/K unit in years but would love to compare.

kh

Just looked on ebay for an HK430 (wanted to see what it looked like) Looks pretty sweet...but the only one that came up was already up to $75 with over 4 days left. I wonder if all the talk about them drove the price up already. Hmmmmm... considering the last 3 sold between $31-$41. I'd pick one up at that price just to audition them on my Khorns.

Kelly,

the one Jim just bought but hasn't gotten in yet is ebay item: 3008495841. It appears that it will be needing a good cleaning when he gets it...at least the outside and the controls.

Johnny,

In the last ten days or so about 6 have sold for anywhere between 36 and 70 bucks...in the last three months they have sold between 30 and 115 bucks...last summer they were regularly going for around 35 bucks average. I must have sent well-over a dozen listings of them in e-mails to Kelly last summer and fall that ended up selling for around 30-45 bucks!

OK i will bite...hey mobile you say equipment exposure, but all you have are Cornwalls,I have three models of Heritage i have heard a lot of speakers over the years,fixed a lot of them for friends,foam surrounds etc.Then you say vintage tube amps in same price range yea right,,,lets see HK gives me amp,pre amp,tuner.....what do i get with a tube amp in same price rang....nothing....get real.You probably spend more on cd cleaner from germany made from the sweat of a frog or something, but you want someone to send you an HK to test, come on by your own man.This is supose to be fun lighten up a little,i see why only a few ever post on this board cause they are afraid of rich guys making fun of thier stuff.MR,Paul had a sense of humor why dont we have one on his board?......Now prodj....the reason i spelled like that i was listening to PINKS cd and thought it would be funny for a fourm thats been so up tight lately....but instead i get ripped...thats fine,i will try to only post about wire that has the atoms straightened out in Germany...shipped in virgin plastic from England...hooked to solid gold connectors from Russia.....no i think i will just listen to my system and enjoy it like Mr.paul intended.......i tried not to be wude...please forgive me Mr.paul11.gif

Well, that was deserved. I just question some of the claims here concerning the 430 as the "Best 2 Channel solution" and contemplate the breadth of equipment in comparison, and am met with this bombast. Hey RickstaZZ, R U trying to equate owning several pairs of Klipsch and re-foaming Cerwin-Vega Mega Wooferz to trying a host of amps of different topologies, then coming to a more educated conclusion? In addition, I was mainly answering another poster's assumption, and was making a valiant, but ultimately futile, attempt to ignore the rapsta-BBS-ese that you refer to as humor.

In all actuality, my post was not offensive nor over-the-top, unlike yours. It was a valid point. Your diatribe was neither called for nor correct, as the assumptions within were painful at best (I am a "rich guy"? Indeed). Perhaps you should read some posts before you jump, as I have probably spent less in here on gear than a majority, especially those wandering down the multi-channel or HT path. My goal has almost always been the most sonic quality without having to spend for a huge markup. I have never paid over $100 for a vintage tube amp until firing a check to ole Pland for $170, which is only $780 less than I paid for my 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks. I have an EICO HF-81 and a Mullard shod EICO HFT-90 all tube FM tuner that both added up to a whopping $125. I will hedge a bet that this combination will make the H/K 430 sound like a sorority house "Hang in there, baby" print... Actually, this is why I want to hear the 430; I want to rid myself of this Willing Suspension of Disbelief, something that is already taxed via today's Hollywood offerings.

Don't worry, I have sung the praise of the H/K 430 as a valid SS alternative. Indeed, Andy and I have been talking about them for the better part of six months. So YO, Ricksta-X.... Dalm Dog! U need 2 B jammin' with yo 430 to Busta....

kh

"I will hedge a bet that this combination will make the H/K 430 sound like a sorority house "Hang in there, baby" print.."

Pronto T2000 Remote: Free

AudioQuest Copperhead Interconnects: $20

Yamaha DSP-1000: $40

Kelly's Wry Wit Over A Fine Cup of Java: Priceless

(Nothing against Mr. Tate - Just couldn't help laughing!)

Mr. Tate - this board is nothing like some of the others. If you want to get your chops busted try some of the high efficiency, DIY and full range speaker forums.

As to snobbish - Yeah, I am probably guilty. But I try very hard to only be condescending, not hostile 2.gif

As to fighting back - ever notice that in Basketball, football and Hockey that the one who throws the first punch is rarely punished as hard as the one that retaliates (is there a point here? Not sure..a toxic youth makes consistent thoughts hard to maintain past two paragraphs)

I already own the HK unit in the basement and it is a very nice SS amp. As to a shoot out with the tubes (doesn't a tube make a delightful sound when shot?) I would like to be in the room. Competition between two 'goods' is always entertaining.

I think Rick's point is that one with limited funds can regularly aquire an H/K 430 in great condition for under $100(shipping included)total investment. And, in doing so, that individual will have a nice amp section, a nice tuner section, and a nice and relatively simple pre-amp section. Not only that, but this UNDER $100 investment, will be a very good match for Heritage speakers.

When going the tube route, using recent and current ebay prices as the guideline, one cannot do nearly as well on a limited budget and end up with a GOOD receiver, OR a combination of GOOD tube separates...that already have good tubes in them and require no repairs and/or modifications other than a good cleaning to ready them for use with the same speakers, where they will provide good performance!

I agree on this point! Just go to ebay and look around! Some of you MAY have gotten good deals on some of your tube equipment from ebay in the past...but that is no longer the case, generally speaking. With the H/K 430, that is STILL the case, generally speaking! I am not talking about items that are gotten from a seller's listing mistakes or through being found in some obscure eBay corner...anybody can OCCASSIONALLY find a great deal that way!

Nobody I know of who has had a decent amount of listening experiences with GOOD tube equipment and properly set-up Klipsch Heritage speakers would argue that the H/K 430 is the better sounding of the two. BUT...I also challenge anybody on this forum to go on eBay today or anytime in the near future, with just $100 maximum to spend, and be able to purchase a tube receiver, or combination of separates that includes an amp, pre-amp, and tuner...and that needs no new tubes or replacement tubes or any modifications or adjustments other than a good cleaning and/or replacement fuses in order to be ready to OUTPERFORM a good condition H/K 430 that can be had for UNDER $100 (including its shipping costs)...and needs no more than a good cleaning and/or a few fuses replaced in order to be operating properly! Remember...your tube equipment purchase has to be REGULARLY found going on eBay for UNDER $100 TOTAL investment(including shipping!!) and be ready to power your heritage speakers with nothing more than a good cleaning and a few fuses being replaced!!....while still completely out-performing the H/K 430! The gauntlet is down! LOL!

Let me say this ONE MORE TIME: The whole reason I have espoused the H/K 430 to begin with centers around its high-quality (both of performance AND build), longetivity, and its great value as is regularly AND easily found on eBay in the recent past and at this time! I have only said what others have found out...for under 100 bucks total cash outlay, it is one helluva deal, provided it is in good condition! And for a solid state unit, it is a great match to Klipsch Heritage speakers! In other words, if all you have is $100 to spend...and you want something that will do the job well with Heritage speakers, then the H/K 430 is hard to beat! Pretty simple!

I dunno, taking a chance with 30 year old solid state receivers.

It's just like tubes.

Capacitors dry out, Transformers rust, PCB's detoriate, dirty pots, and bad radio reception.

Losta worn out parts.

And then, can a guy even possibly find a replacement Transistor in the event that one decides to give up after 30 years?

At least with a vintage tube Integrated/Power amp, if the Transformers are still good, you can replace everything else.

I would rap with the sellers big time before a particular auction ends for these Harmon Kardon receivers.

It's good practice anyways, and this way you will know that exact condition of the unit and if it actually works.

I myself wouldn't go for a unit that sells for 30 bucks on Ebay, unless you rapped with the seller and know what's up.

I would pay a little more for a better pristine unit.

I don't plan on looking for a HK 430 or 730 on Ebay, but you can bet I'll be looking around for one locally for cheap. A lot of posters here do seem to like them.

Aren't the old Harmon Kardon's from that era manufactured in Washington state?

I have a old Montgomery Ward "Airline" single-ended 6BQ5 AM/FM phono receiver with one tape input.

Bone stock, and works and sounds great. I bought the old console it came with for 10 bucks.

Does this count, Andy?