Dope from Hope just arrived - Thanks, Art!

markw

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I can't thank you enough, Art. I started a new thread not noticing this one already up and praising you for your determination in getting these audio papers all printed up for everyone! Got your message too (Klipsch on Carver), and will read that portion first after dinner!

Thanks again...yer da man!9.gif

One of the papers included in the package is a review of the Klipschorn from Audio magazine, originally published 11/86, which I read when it came out. I always thought the reviewer, Richard C. Heyser, really nailed what makes the Klipschorn special, and was happy to be able to read the review again after all these years.

Heyser talks about setting up two high quality condenser microphones outside his home, and feeding them into his home, switching from Klipschorns to "a pair of excellent speakers whose bass could shake the house on pipe organ; they made the K-horns sound thin by comparison. Then a funny thing happened. The sound of a slammed car door sounded like a slammed car door on the K-horns, but sounded like muffled 'whumps' on the 'wider range' system. The same with helicopter fly-overs (quite frequent where I used to live) and with the sound of distant traffic. I never forgot that experiment nor its ear-opening ramifications with regard to sonic accuracy versus measurement."

Just checked my mail and found my copy in the mailbox!

Obviously, I haven't been able to read it yet, but just from skimming through some of the papers, I found this quote from PWK that I'm sure most will find interesting:

"...I conclude that 99% of the general public doesn't even know what accuracy of reproduction is. My company is for the one percent composed of perfectionists who buy these expensive speakers."

Here's to Art and the rest of my fellow One Percenters!!

Looks like I have a lot of reading ahead of me. Thanks again Art!!

Glad to see the papers are getting there alright & you guys are already enjoying them!

That Richard Heyser review of the Khorn that Paul mentioned was probably the most thorough technical review ever published on it. I had one of those experiences (like Heyser described) just last week. I was heading back down to the listening room. As I stood at the top of the stairs listening for a moment (FM radio broadcast WFMT), I called out to my wife in the other room & said Nice! This sounds just like when youre at Orchestra Hall (Chicago), out in the lobby. We havent been to Orchestra Hall in a while but used to attend frequently. I go downstairs & continue listening. Low & behold. Guess what! Turns out it actually was the Chicago Symphony Orchestra at Orchestra Hall! It doesnt get any better than that.

Mark, the article Jim referred to (Klipsch vs. Carver) is in the Dope From Hope collection titled The Ultimate LSH (Loudspeaker). I suggested Jim take a peek at that one first. Its a real hoot! As I told Jim, There are not many people who can get away with publishing a derogatory parody about a fellow professional (in this case Bob Carver) in a professional publication like the Journal of the Audio Engineering Society.

Have fun guys!