cooling solution

hope you guys can help me with my little problem.

i have all my AV equipment in a bookshelf type of thing with a glass front that opens and closes. the back side is open. i keep the glass front closed most of the time especially when the equipment is in use. it gets pretty ho in there. nothing excessive but enough to worry me. are there like little fans i could buy to put in place just to get the air flowing in there. i was thinking of computer fans but i wouldn't know what kind of a power source i would need to get.

The "Muffin Fans" used in computer equipment would work well.

They run on 12 volts dc full speed, they are a bit noisey at full speed.

If you get a variable dc transformer then you can use a lower voltage to slow down the fan and reduce the noise level. Have done it on a lot of equipment installations. My motto on electronics is "Keep it Cool", Heat kills!

Just remove the glass door, unless you have little hands in the household. I have a custom made wooden rack and had a wooden door on it. I use to leave it open when the system was running but then decided to remove it altogether. I have a 19 mos girl but she really does not mess with the components at all. I tried smalls fans but they are noisy and draw in additional dust and goobies to boot.

If you have a small computer shop near by, you can pick up a small 3 or 4" fan & then find a 12 volt A/C adaptor to go with it. This works great, & most are usually quiet. I have to run one near my Tivo unit. Tivo's are noted for severe overheating.

You can also find the fans and adaptors at any Radio Shack, but you will pay 3x the price.

i don't want to get rid of the door because it also acts as a sound barrier. the little noise that the equipment produces can't be heard with the door closed.

i'm looking into those fans you suugested and power supplies to go with them. are you talking about the same fans that we put in our computers? don't those have special connectors for use with computer power supplies?

where can i go look for stuff like this?

Yes, Computer case fans can be found at any computer shop for about $6, or at Radio Shack for about $18, & the ac adapter can be found at Radio Shack for sure. I used the 12 volt adaptor off an old cordless phone that went bad. Just cut the wires off & connect them together as best you can. I recommend soldering.

These fans are very low current, so don't let the salesman talk you into a oversized adapter. 300 ma is more than enough.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F005%5F007%5F014%5F000&product%5Fid=273%2D243

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F004%5F001%5F001%5F000&product%5Fid=273%2D1662

The second link is for an adjustable adapter ... if its too noisy, you can lower the voltage

"These fans are very low current, so don't let the teen-aged manager talk you into a oversized adapter. 300 ma is more than enough. "

shut your mouth old man. most teenagers aren't stupid imbossils or greasy salesmen like you suggest. this is exactly the reason most teenagers dislike old people so much.

----------------

On 3/26/2003 7:46:03 PM minn_male42 wrote:

i put a quiet fan panel on the back of my rack to cool my system from middle atlantic....

the fans plug right into a 115v outlet so you don't have to mess around with adapters and figuring out how to mount them....

----------------

Russ: You say these are quiet? I need to look into these. They look like the same kind of setup we use on our mainframes, but they are REAL noisy. Maybe I will bring in my spl meter & check them for comparison. That page says they are only 30 db. I have never seen a quiet 120v fan!

I just put my SPL meter right in front of my Tivo... 56db!

prodj101: Point taken... Message edited. Sorry, but I have 3 Radio Shacks near me, & all 3 are the same. BTW... Check your spelling2.gif

• 8 years later...

"These fans are very low current, so don't let the teen-aged manager talk you into a oversized adapter. 300 ma is more than enough. "

shut your mouth old man. most teenagers aren't stupid imbossils or greasy salesmen like you suggest. this is exactly the reason most teenagers dislike old people so much.

Nasty Nasty! Be nice. Get more respect that way. I know it's an old post, but still.

• Moderators

I know it's an old post but your right "most teenagers aren't stupid imbossils or greasy salesmen like you suggest"

They just dislike old people because there old greasy imbeciles, so they give them no respect. [:o]

Sorry if I got the wrong impression and was thinking you were saying imbeciles, wouldn't want to show any disrespect. [;)]

Like the bumper sticker " hire a teenager while they still know everything "

My teacher would dance like this while laughing if she thought I was correcting anyones spelling considering my own ! [:|]

post-11804-13819659640974_thumb.gif

i learned some new things as a result of its resurrection ...so not a total waste of effort.

• Moderators

You know this is an 8 year old question right?

Yep, I have been thinking about an answer for a long time, wanted to get it right. [8-|]

Good thing Beechnut came up with an answer I'm getting old.

• Moderators

But I follow dtel blindly....

[:o]

Were both in trouble then. [A]

Those fans look good, they would be perfect to build onto the back of a cabinet or even to just set on top of different components if you had a heat problem. [Y] The name of the place is a little strange. [:|]

I have my PC in close proximity to my HK receiver.

I have a CPU fsn running off the PCs power supply, and it is externally placed on top of my receiver.

This works really well. The only downside might be dust buildup, but our buildng is 100 years old; so it just means more regular vacuuming of the PC and electronic components.