Who all here listens primarily to Rock and Alternative?

Deang

Well, that would me, although I do throw on some jazz from time to time. I think rock is what stresses amps the most, not from the standpoint of high volumes but also in terms of clarity and soundstage. It is the primary reason I plan on giving tubes a try. If I listened to only my jazz collection I would stay with my Harman/Kardon SS amp--it sounds great.

Mike

I listen to most forms of ROCK from artists from the 70's & 80's.

Classic Rock

New Wave

Punk

Hardcore Punk

Alternative

Jangle pop

Post punk

country rock

cow punk

sophisticated pop

etc.

appreciation of HiFi and middle age have generated an interest in CLASSICAL favorites.

I'm open to many other sounds but my software is 95% ROCK and 5% CLASSICAL.

"Mesopotamia...that's where I wanna go--oh."

-B52's "Mesopotamia"

I primlarily listen to, and enjoy most, the music I grew up listening to in the 60's-70's. Last night for a quick fix I thru on the Frampton DTS DVD and went straight to 'Penny for your Thoughts'. Love the following kick off of 'Money' at about 105db on the muti-channel. To hell with 'imaging'!

Keith

Me being a bit of the religious type, I've become engrossed and fascinated by the lyrics of new genre of alternative. In spite of the dark edge to most of it, it is clear that most of these guys are searching. There is a general lashing out at God for seemingly letting things get out of control, anger at religion for polluting minds with concepts that clash against the pure truth, and words that express the battle that rages in our hearts.

I spent a good hour last night trying to decipher the meaning of the lyrics of the new 'Disturbed' CD 'Believe'. Deep and cryptic stuff. At the end of the liner notes is: "I'd like to thank God for the gift of this music."

Young, angry people.

It's always interested me how differently people approach their search, and how God can move anyone into His circle of influence using any means. Whether it be through anger or compassion -- the search takes one to the same place.

I watched this happen in the 80's with Kansas, Foreigner, Yes, and a slew of others.

This is also true of a lot of artists in the R and B realm. If you listen to R Kelly even with all of his issues, he still sings about God's love and the essence of who he is. Go back and listen to some of Marvin Gaye's older music, a definite spiritual influence in some of the music. A great deal of musical artists started in church choirs and have been around God's word for years even though they might not actively live for Him.

I was reading a magazine not too long ago about how young people who are reaching out to God in many different ways, ie goths, new age, wicca etc. Society as a whole will classify them as cast aways but there is something about God's love, it's unconditional; above all He doesn't want anyone to perish. I listen to gospel/christian music only and I think that gospel music in it's true essence is a very powerful tool to reach today's youth. The older crowd has a problem with this but the youth of today really get into Kirk Franklin, POD, Toby MacK, Mary Mary, Gospel Gangstas, POD and the list goes on and on.

DeanG,

Have you listened to any of Johnny Cash's American Recordings? His latest (American IV) has some really edgy material; specifically, his cover of NIN's "Hurt". It's one of the most disturbing songs I've heard him perform (right up there with "I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die..."). The video is amazing.

chuckears,

I have heard a few of Johnny Cash's new songs, including "Hurt" on FM radio. I have to tell you, I do not remember the last time I was so emotionally moved by a song. I'll have to pick up that album. It's part of a series? Can you tell me a bit about it? Is the video on air (I'd hate to have to trudge through MTV), or did you see a dvd? Thanks!

fini

EDIT:

An Amazon search reveals one version of his album comes with a bonus DVD.

I used to listen almost exclusively to classic rock. Since I got back into the 2 channel scene I now listen to a much wider variety of music.

I like having folks come over to listen to my system and bring their favorite music with them...I get to hear some music I am not as familiar with and I can make more informed purchasing decisions.

I'd say I fall into this group, but of late (now that I have a tube amp) I'm actively seeking more jazz and classical (I was in Stage band, symphonic band and orchestra in college so that might have some influence)

Chuckears - I have to agree American IV is incredible (my only complaint is "Personal Jesus")

I'd also highly recommend Kindred Spirits a tribute album.

My favorite listens are:

The Stone Roses

Life's Rich Pageant REM

Nevermind Nirvana

The best of Elvis Costello vol 1 and 2

Now, looking at the list I see I'm a little dated, so I have to add now I like

The Strokes

The White Stripes

Abandoned Pools

I'm sure there are others, but that's what comes to mind right now.

Rock, rock, and more rock.

Not real big on the pop heavy sounds as of late...seem kinda shallow to me.

Love Tool.

Love Radiohead.

Love King Crimson.

Have started listening to a lot of percussive world music, jazz, brazilian pop-jazz-electronica.