HornED says "Hi"

justin_tx_16

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, Justin... just a note to say that I have yet to pop a kernel since I have not been back to pick up my favorite popper... but I have redesigned my 8 Legend Twin Ultra Home Theater to play in a 30' Mongolian-style Yurt.

Trying to corner a 7' sub-woofer tower in a yurt is a challenge. So, taking a clue from Mr. Paul's false corners, I build an 8' false corner with a sloped ceiling to reflect those big base waves.

As you may recall, I modified a KLF-30 to be horizontal as the front center with the two woofers as close to the center as possible. To accommodate more folks in the stand alone movie yurt, I modified the KLF-30 right and left surrounds and rear center to be horizontal tool... but put the woofers as far as part as the enclosure would allow. The result is an idealized monopole surround sound with timbre matching and appropriate directionality. The rear array speakers are mounted on special shelves six feet from the floor.

The six KLF-30's (6.1 comfit.) are cut off at 85Hz which allows them to do an incredible mid-range. The twin SVS Ultras pump out all the directionless subwoofer fare... but the sounds appear to come from whichever main speaker that is playing the associated sounds above 85Hz.

It is an unusual layout and has attracted standing room only crowds. =HornED

PS: I took a break to thank all who have cheered me on this past year... and to let you know that today, May 3, 2003 I made it to 65 years of age... which also means it is about 50 years since I bought my first previously owned Klipschorn...

Cool !! Made it through another one !

When I was a kid we had a quiet old fellow who lived on our street.Nobody saw him with any regulatity except at the New Year. Every New Year at the stroke of 12:00 that old fart would step out on to his porch raise a glass of what was presumably slough water and shout - I made it through another one you B*ggers !

Here's hoping that you continue making your neighbours scratch their heads for many years to come.

Wow, now that's an incentive to live another year. As many of you know, I have been doing mostly philanthropic things for the past dozen or so years. I have recently taken over as general manager of a project I deem worthwhile. The 30' "home movie yurt" has become a temporary home for my #2 home theater... but it is the one that has the most audio innovation to it.

Josh, a modern version of the traditional Mongolian yurt is sold by a company called Pacific Yurts (yurt.com) and the one that has been "Klipsched" is their largest model. So, the yurt particulars are there for all to see. In the near future, I expect to design and build an acoustically correct free-standing building to be a multi-media center.

And, frankly friends, part of the reason I took on this charitable enterprise is to see if I can live through some harness time. As a certifiable workaholic that would fail a 12-step process... the joys of doing even a little worthwhile helps relieve the anxiety between the rock of an alert mind and the hard place of a dying body. Cheers like I see here have helped me make the prognostications of my cardiologists a decade out of date... so far... and I am up for getting as much Klipsch time out of another decade as I can.

It's been a cold winter... but an afghan, white birch popcorn, Garden State Almond Roca, countless emails, and the welcoming posts warm even the most peripatetic of hearts. Thanks for being there... and I will try to be there too. =HornED

Ye Garrards and little Fischers... now the "cluless yurt beast" has me not so hip hopping with triple-postitis! Now this carbon unit seems to be afflicgted by greenhouse gaseous attacks... perhaps there is a "methane" to my madness...6.gif =HornED