Security

Recommend looking at the seller's feedback rating. If it's good, you are probably safe. A convenient option is to use BidPay whereby you pay Bidpay with your credit card on-line and they send a money order directly to the seller. Many money order/cashiers check folks will accept this alternative. Convienent for you and they still get a money order. Many sellers like dealing in cash to avoid tax implications.

Personnally I only buy from sellers who accept Paypal or Bidpay. That is partly because of the remote location where I live. Driving to a bank/post office here in North Dakota and waiting in line is not an option I am willing to do in the internet age. I have forgone a number of auctions where I would have coughed up A LOT more than the winning bidder paid but seller was inflexible with payment options. But, that's their choice, the seller is always in the drivers seat.

Good luck!

MM

Mail the payment by Certified Mail. Costs $2.76. The sellers signature is available from the Post Office or online for 2 years, for a small cost. You'll know if they received your payment.

Keith

You can elect to use the "Ask Seller A Question" link. Then ask if the seller is willing to accept other forms of payment.

I've had sellers agree to electronic and other payment methods providing I was the high bidder. Just remember, they're only obligated to meet the Payment Instructions in their listing.

Be sure to save their email response if they agree to another form of payment. It doesn't hurt to ask...do verify the feedback as stated earlier!!

Having a conversation with the seller and getting a good feeling is the best method. I have used MO/Cashier check before and as yet have a problem. As well as the cash situation, PayPal adds a fee that many sellers object to (I think the gaurantee is worth it).

I still use MO/Cashier Check with my Canadian friends. All works well, just adds about a week to delivery.

Another reason seller don't use PAYPAL is a 3% fee ebay charges the seller! Just make sure the seller does not have any feedback where he/she stiffed someone money but no product........ Good luck.

I use/take M/o it is just eaiser, than waiting the 4/5 days for someones money to clear their bank if they don't use a credit card!

Ask the seller if they are willing to use an escrow service like escrow.com. If they only accept CC & MO they probably won't (usually its so they can avoid any tax consequences). I tell them I will pay the fee (its minimal) & setup the transaction if they want.

I've gotten to the point that if they don't use something like PayPal, or escrow, I don't even bother. Too much trouble & additional cost for MO's. Plus, you are the one at additional risk, not the seller. Screw that "ebay is community based on trust" crap.

Using an escrow service is actually the safest way.

DeanG is not kidding. If you're concerned about security buy a USPS MO and send it to a street address, (no PO box or Mailboxes Etc. boxes) using USPS certified mail that they have to sign for to get the check. If they fail to send the item this is a felony as in Federal Offense investigated by the postal inspectors office. This is similar to having the FBI looking into things for you. Not many people want the Feds sniffing around.

A member here was recently stiffed for $1800 on a pair of KHorns, no recourse at all.

Tom

I agree about using US postal money orders...it is the absolute SAFEST route to take...and if ripped-off it AUTOMATICALLY becomes a FEDERAL(NOT a STATE) felony offense...no matter what the amount of the money order was for!! The last thing most folks want is to become a beech for a bubba in a federal pen!!

I agre with the postal money order for big items.

Althouhg an E BAY newbie of only 20 transactions; I also only buy fromn people with 95% plus positive feedback.

Never had a probelm.

Bought turntables, french horn, video games and other items over the past 5 months.

For over $ 500 I wuld be xtremeley cautious.

When i bought the french horn, I e mailed the person about 6 times before i even placed a bid so i felt they were concientious.

----------------

On 4/13/2003 8:30:37 AM HDBRbuilder wrote:

I agree about using US postal money orders...it is the absolute SAFEST route to take...and if ripped-off it AUTOMATICALLY becomes a FEDERAL(NOT a STATE) felony offense...no matter what the amount of the money order was for!! The last thing most folks want is to become a beech for a bubba in a federal pen!!

----------------

Well I want to thank everyone for their help. I`m definitely going the postal money order route. Dean pointed me that way and you all seem to agree. But that last line really puts the exclamation point on it. Who wants to be Bubba`s Beech. Wow!

Dean mentioned the same thing I was going to say ! I once bought a Intel CPU on ebay that I never received for $200 I used a postal money order and was able to file Postal fraud with a USPS. I also received $175 from ebay fraud insurance. About 4 months later the FBI sent me a letter with forms to file a deposition. I never did hear what happened with the case but the letter said there were numerous complaints on the guy and they were going to prosecute.

Craig

Boy, I'am sure glad you all told me about useing USPS money orders over the bank money order, I have made about 80 buys of E-bay and I don't sweat the small stuff but when you send a guy $700 for a Mcintosh tube amp you kind of worry ( I'am I going to be the first guy he rips off) even when he has 100% great feedback. I will use postal money orders for sure now, just some added insurance, I like it when I learn something new. Thanks all!

----------------

On 4/13/2003 12:54:30 PM Randy Taylor wrote:

Boy, I'am sure glad you all told me about useing USPS money orders over the bank money order, I have made about 80 buys of E-bay and I don't sweat the small stuff but when you send a guy $700 for a Mcintosh tube amp you kind of worry.

----------------

LOL. $700. Try sending $2,500 for a McIntosh tube amp. I don't know why people worry so much about sending tellers/cashiers checks. They can be tracked just as well as personal checks or money orders into the account they were deposited in. I never waste time with services like Escrow or Paypal. Why would I want to pay someone else an extra $50-100 on a transaction that I can handle myself?