Best DVD Concerts

arthurs

Rush In Rio:

We have rattled on about this title a time or two.

I am a Rush fan and was very disappointed in the audio mix on this one.

One of the worst sounding dvd's I own (to my ears and they were just cleaned). This really chapped my hide!14.gif

Hope they put another one out and get the sound right on it PRONTO...........

Take care

Mike

Come on, the Rush in Rio dvd wasn't really that bad. It's most certainly not the best sounding concert dvd I have but it's not horribly bad either. Turn down your surrounds quite a bit and I think you'll enjoy it a lot more. Even though the crowd is mixed really loud as I'm sure that's how it was at the concert, on this dvd they're just too overpowering without turning down the surrounds. I saw them on that tour 3 times and I think the dvd captured it pretty well imho.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Yes Symphonic- During Starship Trooper Chris Squire reaches for the bass pedals and all hell breaks loose on my THX subs- I can feel the BREEZE from 10 feet away- literally blew my hair back like the Maxell ad. First vid of Gates of Delerium I've ever seen.

Yes House of Blues is an excellent performance also, and contains some tracks off the Ladder and newer albums. Has some snippets of Topographic Oceans also.

And could I mention my all time new favorite- Roxy Music Live in Paris- incredible showmanship, song list and recording!

Colter,

Are you still coming to Boomac/John's get-together this weekend? I don't know what all we'll have time for, but maybe we could sample your House of Blues and Starship?

For classical, I'm bringing the two DVDs I mentioned in Midwest Klipsch Forum Get Together Announced which I think some will like.

Larry

I never was planning on it. Too far to drive and now I'm helping a buddy with a wedding. Got to make up for the time I took off for the Hope trip.

M

Sorry, I misremembered, look forward to seeing you next time -- thanks.

L

Larry,

Let's call it SOME time, not NEXT time. I'm pretty sure this will be the last live Klipsch plant tour. But we should get together sometime.

Indy, Who and I are thinking of an Indy get together later this year.

Michael

Some of the most recent that I have written up as "must owns" in the DVDs, Music and Movies are:

Lucinda Williams Live at Austin City Limits (Excellent!! *****)

Stevie Ray Vaughn Live at Montreaux (historic, very good sound and very dramatic)

Eagles - Farewell Tour I (excellent even if you do own HFO)

Richard Thompson Live at Austin City Limits (excellent sound to show off your system, Thompson is a fabulous guitarists)

Four Flicks ; the Rolling Stones, great video from "the Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World"

AC/DC Live at Donnington.........great show....Angus Rules

the Last Waltz ; the Band.....this maybe the BEST concert ever......great line-up.....this is Rock History........a must have

Rattle and Hum ; U2.....a good look at a band on the rise.......searching for their roots

So many good ones........So little time......So much money......

Here is a couple more not mentioned;

Eric Burdon and the new Animals; Live at the Coach House; what a great set from the original screamer Eric Burdon, captured live in 1998. The original animals had alot of hits, but the second line-up of that band was my favorite, and this set does alot of those songs. Great band, a very nice set, that excuse my french,kicks ***. If you Didn't like Eric, save your money, but if you are a fan, and I know there is some out there, this is the disc for you, Classic songs done Eric's way, and a 5.1 mix, We gotta get out of this..........

Mountain ; Sea of Fire, Leslie West, and Corky Laing, the only thing missing is FELIX, Rest in Peace Bro., in a live set from the Mystic theatre. If Mountain was your cup of tea, take a taste of this Power trio doing some old and a few new songs. Not the Mountain of old, but good enough for this old dawg. Like the Eric Burdon disc, the crowd is older, grey hair and such, but they can play. If you weren't a West fan, this disc won't change your mind, but if you are, get this disc, Crossroads is worth the price, the rest is gravy........Mississippi Queen, you know what I mean...............

Lastly; Eric Clapton; Crossroads Guitar Festival, Like the Guitar? you'll love this disc. Some great performances here Rock, country, Jazz, Blues, some old, some new, some you might never have heard of. Opens with EC, and closes with ZZ Top, and a whole bunch of great music in between. I am NOT a big country fan, but, Vince Gill, yes Vince Gill, that lad can play a fender, another surprise to me James Taylor, I'm not a fan, but he is good, and Joe Walsh......enough, buy it and discover for yourself. Isn't this the 60th anniversary of Fender, how fitting to get this to celebrate the Electric Guitar......

I've wasted enough of your time.................[;)]

• 2 months later...

After seeing Sarah Brightmans name mentioned in the Best Female Vocalist threads, I got her Live from Vegas Harem World Tour DVD from library. http://www.sarah-brightman.com/

While the girlfriend did not appreciate her Vegas style over-the-top stage hi jinx, there was no denying her incredible voice. I thought the stage theatrics added something to the view it made listening more fun to watch. Even though I dont appreciate opera, which she sings a lot of, this DVD is incredible evidence not only of her awesome talent, but also of our big ole horns. Strongly recommended rental.

Someone mentioned the Doobie Brothers. I own a dvd by them called "Rockin' Down the Highway: The Wildlife Concert. If you are a fan, you will love it. I am a huge Satriani fan. Many of you have mentioned him. All of his "G3" venues are excellent. Steve Vai on all of them. Eric Johnson, John Petrucci and Yngwie Malmsteen are other guests who are great. Satriani does the G3 JAMS on each one. Great. His Live in San Francisco is also great. When I am watching the dvds,of course I like the sound. But the close ups of these performers playing is something else. You all mention excellent dvds. But if I were to listen only for the sound, I would listen to Vinyl. The dvds are the whole package. I have Hendrix,SRV, ZEP, P Floyd, Sade Tony Bennet,etc. I bought these because I want to "see them perform". Most concert halls are terrible sounding(you all know the ones I am speaking of). But I still go when I can. I want to see and hear the performers. The Eagles HF'sO sounds great,as many do. I enjoy my Zep and Hendrix alot. Sound being ok. But watch the talent. If you like the band/performer, buy the dvd. You will not go wrong!