Best DVD Concerts

arthurs

I just purchased the Eagles Hell Freezes Over. I must say excellent quality. You guys dont laugh at this one but another excellent video and sound quality dvd concert (dts also) The Bee Gees One Night Only. Like I said dont laugh.

David Gilmour Live is an excellent DVD.

My wife and I just got done watching Sheryl Crow C'mon America 2003 concert on HDNet, it was really pretty good. It doesn't hurt that she's so easy on the eyes either. My wife wants me to pick up the DVD of the concert now.

The Cure - Trilogy

Recorded in High Definition and awesome 5.1 surround...

Rush - Rush in Rio

Blast 'O Baterista' at any party!

U2 - Live at Slane Castle

This is a sentimental fave...

The Pixies - The Pixies Concert

Good sound and footage considering this was recorded in the 80's...

My Yamaha receiver has a 'Rock Concert' surround setting which really makes you feel like you are there...the Neo:6 Music setting is pretty good too!

----------------

On 3/29/2005 12:39:42 PM JJKIZAK wrote:

Crossroads was not HD, it is Digital 16 x 9. You can tell because all of the people in the audiance shots in the background are out of focus. HD you can see their zits. A lot of TV programs are doing this because the ordinary person cannot tell the difference. Remember that it's how the program source starts out, Film, DV 16 x 9, High Definition---You have to understand that HDTV looks at film, Digital widescreen, old pictures, blown up letterbox, etc.and HD and Film look the best and the nod going to HD live for the very best. Plus you are viewing it from a DVD disc which is 480p, not HD by a very wide margin. HD is 1080i and if you are viewing the Crossroads disc on an

HDTV you are only seeing 480p. My assesment of the video quality on the Crossroads disc is just average on my Sony HDTV. The sound and sound mix however are exceptional.

JJK
----------------

Perhaps I should have been more specific in my statement saying that the Festival was recorded live in HD by the PBS station WNET for broadcast on PBS-HD as a "pledge event". It was HD when I saw it on PBS and I am assuming that DVD is just a down-rezzed "copy" of the HD source.

Laters,

Jeff

I also saw it on PBS on my HDTV. In my opinion the video was digital 16 x 9 as way too many things were out of focus. If that's their idea of High Def they have a real problem. They are cheating just like the golf tournaments and other shows claiming to be high def when in fact they are digital 16 x 9. My Sony HDV camcorder totally blows away the Crossroads video. The only thing in common with Crossroads and high def is the picture aspect---16 x 9. When you see an audiance shot with the audiance "blurred" it is not High Def. The NCAA basketball High Def had people in the far away seats in total sharp focus and in this respect I am not talking about close ups of people with the background out of focus. So I really don't care what PBS says, Crossroads was not High Definition. They might have transmitted a 16 x 9 program in high definition which they do all the time. But the source was not high definition. It's what you start with, and in the case of high definition concerts you must have hi def cameras, not 16 x 9 digital cameras. You can broadcast anything in hi def but it will look like crap if it did not start out with a hi def camera. For instance: I use a VHS camcorder to take a video of my family and then it is broadcast on PBS in hi def, it is not hi def but VHS broadcast in a hi def system and it still looks like VHS crap.

JJK

----------------

On 4/5/2005 7:37:02 AM JJKIZAK wrote:

I also saw it on PBS on my HDTV. In my opinion the video was digital 16 x 9 as way too many things were out of focus. If that's their idea of High Def they have a real problem. They are cheating just like the golf tournaments and other shows claiming to be high def when in fact they are digital 16 x 9. My Sony HDV camcorder totally blows away the Crossroads video. The only thing in common with Crossroads and high def is the picture aspect---16 x 9. When you see an audiance shot with the audiance "blurred" it is not High Def. The NCAA basketball High Def had people in the far away seats in total sharp focus and in this respect I am not talking about close ups of people with the background out of focus. So I really don't care what PBS says, Crossroads was not High Definition. They might have transmitted a 16 x 9 program in high definition which they do all the time. But the source was not high definition. It's what you start with, and in the case of high definition concerts you must have hi def cameras, not 16 x 9 digital cameras. You can broadcast anything in hi def but it will look like crap if it did not start out with a hi def camera. For instance: I use a VHS camcorder to take a video of my family and then it is broadcast on PBS in hi def, it is not hi def but VHS broadcast in a hi def system and it still looks like VHS crap.

JJK
----------------

Sigh..ok whatever I am done with this we have already trashed a useful thread enough.

Laters,

Jeff

----------------

On 4/2/2005 7:11:43 PM tkdamerica wrote:

I also have the Kiss Symphony DVD and IMHO it was less than stellar.

----------------

I agree somewhat... it was so so , nothing to brag about. I just listed it because I couldn't think of any other good KISS DVD's. Unplugged however is really good if you can find it.

I saw Kiss live in Little Rock Arkansas when I was in high school. It was a great concert. The moment I remember most from that event was my friends and I couldn't wait for the boys to get on stage. Then along came a major babe from our school--with great excitement in her voice she said "can you believe we are going to see bob seager (opening act)! It still brings a chuckle to me today--Thanks for the recommendation on "unplugged," I will have to check it out.

Right now I am watching Eric Clapton, "One more car -- One more Rider." An excellent concert whose Dolby Digital sound track sounds better than the DTS version, IMO. "Cocaine," will thump that subwoofer like it's supposed to be thumped; Billy Preston playing keyboards does a mean rendition of "Will it go round in circles?" Highly recommended for fans of Slow Hand.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to apologize to everyone reading this thread about the definition of what HD is or is not. My HDTV tuner crapped out and I purchased a new LG-3510 over the air tuner. Now there are 18 possible "zoom" variations with this tuner.I have been assimilated into the "PR zoom world of HD" and so now in my world everything on the tube is now "High Definition" regardless if it is or not.

JJK

Amazing I'd to scroll through 6 pages....no mension of these fantastic DVD's:

Phil Collins, Live in Paris. Finally.....the first farewell tour. Great concert / sound / video

Joe Cocker, Live in Berlin

Furthermore I agree with the Eagles' HFO. As I can't play DTS decoded material, I've to listen in PCM mode which I prefer by the way when listening to music.

• 1 month later...

all great concerst but maybe i missed one that might have been posted is Genesis live at wimbley?? this is a great concert and the mix is very good. the video is good and i say ole man this should not be missed.16.gif

• 3 weeks later...