Best DVD Concerts

arthurs

A couple more since my last post months back ...

Thumb's Up -- Los Lonely Boys Live in Austin (these guys are much much more than just "How Far is Heaven")

That's Entertainment 4 DVD set (not really a concert, but great fun)

So So -- Yo Yo Ma/Edgar Mayer & Mark O'Conner -- Appalacian Journey (gets a bit tedious, in spite of guest appearances by Alison Krauss and James Taylor)

Disappointing -- Heart "Live in Seattle" and Barbara Streisand "In Concert"

(Thanks for all the recommendations. Here in the sticks, concert DVD's are about the only way to locally get multichannel good sounds)

Crossroads---Eric Clapton---Best I have heard

Premonition---John Fogarty---Second best

Live In Paris---Diana Krall---Third best

I also have the Eagles Hell Freezes Over but I haven't listened to it yet. Had it for about 6 months. Now that I have the sub and the new Dean networks I'll give it a go.

JJK

• Moderators

Gotta throw in my2cents in here....

Out of the ones I own: Roger Waters, Dave Matthews, Queen, Led Zeppelin, Stevie Ray Vaughn, James Taylor, Metallica, G n R, Cold Play, U2, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Train.... my absolute favorite that I never tire of is Red Hot Chili Peppers at Slane Castle. Not a bad tune, and great footage.

I finally played the Eagles today and you guy's were right. I almost didn't get past the little sound jingle at the beginning of the disc. The volume was up real high and I had to crawl on the floor after being bounced on the wall to reach the volume control to turn it down.I recovered nicely and thought for a while that all the narration at the beginning coming out of the center speaker only might cause disappointment but when the concert started new physical laws and constants were created in our Milky Way Galaxy. I'll have to give it a tie with Crossroads.

JJK

----------------

On 3/24/2005 2:29:57 PM Amy Unger wrote:

Gotta throw in my2cents in here....

Out of the ones I own: Roger Waters, Dave Matthews, Queen, Led Zeppelin, Stevie Ray Vaughn, James Taylor, Metallica, G n R, Cold Play, U2, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Train.... my absolute favorite that I never tire of is Red Hot Chili Peppers at Slane Castle. Not a bad tune, and great footage.

----------------

Ohhhhh yeah....you & I Amy would get along just fine.1.gif

Have you seen the Red Hot Chili Peppers "Off The Map" DVD? I wanna see these guys live soooooo bad. The wife told me I'd have to go by myself! Can you believe that? 8.gif

BTW guys....last year I started a M$ Excel spreadsheet listing all of the concert DVD's that folks had recommended. I'm still keeping the list up to date as best I can. The offer to send you the list is still good, so if you want a copy, just email me.

Tom

I almost posted this on a thread I saw yesterday regarding how important a center channel recording was on concerts (at least that was what I thought it was about).

Has anyone noticed that the Roger Waters, "In the Flesh-Live," Doesn't have a center channel? I love this DVD. I must have listened to it 50 times, before I walked in front of the TV and thought my RC-7 wasn't working. I called up a friend who had the DVD and he was surprised as well. His first comment was, "It works on mine," until he actually checked it out. FYI. If any of you have this DVD and there is a Center channel recorded please post.9.gif

• Moderators

----------------

On 3/25/2005 3:28:25 PM Tom Adams wrote:

Ohhhhh yeah....you & I Amy would get along just fine.
1.gif

Have you seen the Red Hot Chili Peppers "Off The Map" DVD? I wanna see these guys live soooooo bad. The wife told me I'd have to go by myself! Can you believe that?
8.gif

Tom

----------------

Yes! I have seen the Off the Map one... Gotta love the punk hairdos, and the ping pong balls/spaghetti prank at the end... I do like the Slane Castle one better. I like their updated look, and the sound was great. Flea is a nut.

I can't believe your wife did that to you!! I would LOVE to see them live also, but they just don't come around this neck of the woods anymore. Still waiting....

Big second, third, or whatever for Eric Claptons Crossroads. This event was filmed in HD so the video is stunning, the sound is awesome, and it was a thrill to see everybody playing together.

I will also give thumbs up for the Blue Man Group - Complex Rock Tour Live

Can anyone suggest a good Kiss or Guns and Roses Concert DVD? I like the bands but not enough to know which DVD's are awesome.

Laters,

Jeff

Crossroads was not HD, it is Digital 16 x 9. You can tell because all of the people in the audiance shots in the background are out of focus. HD you can see their zits. A lot of TV programs are doing this because the ordinary person cannot tell the difference. Remember that it's how the program source starts out, Film, DV 16 x 9, High Definition---You have to understand that HDTV looks at film, Digital widescreen, old pictures, blown up letterbox, etc.and HD and Film look the best and the nod going to HD live for the very best. Plus you are viewing it from a DVD disc which is 480p, not HD by a very wide margin. HD is 1080i and if you are viewing the Crossroads disc on an

HDTV you are only seeing 480p. My assesment of the video quality on the Crossroads disc is just average on my Sony HDTV. The sound and sound mix however are exceptional.

JJK

Here's 2 more for the database:

Thumbs way UP: Los Lobos Live at the Fillmore -- 2004 recording, good sound, ok visuals, great song set.

Small thumb up: Ben Harper & the Blind Boys of alabama -- Live at the Apollo -- 2004 release in support of their grammy award. Very good sound, nice video, but lost points because of the song set -- not enough variety for me, and not enough Revival Meeting Foot Stompin' in the concert.

DJ Shadow - In Tune & On Time

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000294RHG/qid=1112392100/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/104-9420838-5178357?v=glance&s=dvd

You MUST be into this sort of music to appreciate it. If you do, it is FANTASTIC. Comes with a CD and DVD.

The video quality is prosumer (like $1,000 video cameras), but the sound is pretty good (I have yet to really evaluate it). Nothing special compared to the massive supergroups, but in the neglected, small world of electronic music, this is a gem.

----------------

On 3/29/2005 10:40:09 AM eq_shadimar wrote:

Can anyone suggest a good Kiss or Guns and Roses Concert DVD? I like the bands but not enough to know which DVD's are awesome.

Laters,

Jeff

----------------

I would highly recommend KISS unplugged, but unfortunately it's no longer available. Check eBay or something like that for it.. Sound quality is awesome! The only other KISS concert DVD I can think of now would be the Symphony DVD.

Don't know if it's on dvd or not, however...

INXS: Live Baby Live (from Wembly)

Evidently they broadcast and it was recorded on our vcr. I watched it out of curiosity since I do like a couple of their songs.

VERY good concert. If I can find it on a dvd, I'll probably get it.