Best DVD Concerts

arthurs

Someone mentioned the Doobie Brothers. I own a dvd by them called "Rockin' Down the Highway: The Wildlife Concert. If you are a fan, you will love it. I am a huge Satriani fan. Many of you have mentioned him. All of his "G3" venues are excellent. Steve Vai on all of them. Eric Johnson, John Petrucci and Yngwie Malmsteen are other guests who are great. Satriani does the G3 JAMS on each one. Great. His Live in San Francisco is also great. When I am watching the dvds,of course I like the sound. But the close ups of these performers playing is something else. You all mention excellent dvds. But if I were to listen only for the sound, I would listen to Vinyl. The dvds are the whole package. I have Hendrix,SRV, ZEP, P Floyd, Sade Tony Bennet,etc. I bought these because I want to "see them perform". Most concert halls are terrible sounding(you all know the ones I am speaking of). But I still go when I can. I want to see and hear the performers. The Eagles HF'sO sounds great,as many do. I enjoy my Zep and Hendrix alot. Sound being ok. But watch the talent. If you like the band/performer, buy the dvd. You will not go wrong!

Lascala Dan, what's the best Satriani DVD to buy? (I know, buy them all!)

Seriously, I'm watching my budget.

I'm also going to the Newport Jazz Festival this weekend in Newport RI (where else!?) and spending mega-bucks on B&B expenses and fancy restuarants in the evening.. oh and jazz and blues clubs. So, blowing all my money on live jazz this week but still looking for a Satriani fix.

Steve_L, The 1st one that I bought was, I believe, the 1st G3, when it came out( I actually heard it on cd 1st,through a mutual listener). Titled G3 LIVE in concert. Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson and Steve Vai, recorded 11/2/1996(wow, 10 years ago) at the Northrop Auditorium in Minneapolis,MN. Because it is the 1st G3, I feel it should be your 1st to buy, as it was mine. However, they are all excellent. You will not be dissapointed. You gain a sense of "maturity" of Satriani and Vai, with the later venues. To see Satriani and Vai from "96,as well as Eric Johnson, is an amazing thing to watch, and of course, listen to. So my pick would be this 1st G3, and purchase them in consecutive order, or go for it and buy them all. Enjoy!.Lascaladan

G-3 is good, would have liked more Joe and Steve, and less Eric, but that's just me, it's worth having................Always was curious about Joe in San Francisco, had it in my hand a couple of times and put it back...............Lascaladan; You like the Live in San Francisco, is it worth the price? Joe Satriani is a great Guitarist often over looked, but he can't be ignored, just something about his style, I guess maybe it's because Joe has never been swayed away from what he wants to play, and Gold Records weren't his main goal, kinda refreshing actually..........................Also......Lascaladan...go to Entertainment Section and look at Mike Lindsey's thread about 5.1 concert DVD's..................More Ideas...........

My recommendation of a fine DVD-Concert is:

NEKTAR, LIVE at the Nearfest, Trenton, New Jersey on June 29th 2002.

It is a fine piece of progressive and psychedelic music with a great lightshow and the well known synthesizerplayer Larry Fast.

This band had a great success in the 70's in Germany. In 76 they performed as support act for Frank Zappa in US.

Site: http://www.nektar.us provides more information about this fine musicians.

Have fun

Jack

Oldbuckster, I have some 5.1 dvd's. Being the purist that I am, I question the "reality" of the 5.1. Example:Steely Dan's Two Against Nature. I camera shots put all the band members up front, on the same stage(quite typical, dont you think). But the audible seperation of the horn section happening behind me leaves me to prefer stereo "surround". This is just me. Most 5.1's sound good,but...... . Again, to each his/her own. As long as we all enjoy it "our way".

Lascaladan, can't really comment on Steely Dan, don't own it, never heard it...........but I can comment on 5.1, I like to run it with the center channel off when watching concert dvd's, just sounds better to me, when watching movies, of course I have it on.............Many good choices of dvd's, but some sound better than others, that's the discs not the stereo, not much one can do about that.......................they still beat Pro Logic, anyday.................

Oldb,if you are a Satriani fan you'll want to get Live in San Fran.I bought the 2disc set a few years back for $15,great set,show and sound.As to Steely Dan -Two Against Nature dvd,I own about 250 dvd concerts,it's the gold standard for me,few even get close.I go to quite a few smaller venue shows(a few thousand people)I often hear sounds from certain instruments behind me,the same as on my two set ups using stereo only.

Here's a "heads up" for any Delbert McClinton fans out there.

A while back when DeepDiscount DVD had their sale I pre-ordered a Delbert McClinton "Live in Austin" DVD scheduled for release on July 25, 2006. Well, the DVD arrived a couple of days ago and, rather than the new performance I was expecting, it is a DVD of an Austin City Limits performance taped in 1982.

Not a bad show, just not what I was expecting.

James

As to Steely Dan -Two Against Nature dvd,I own about 250 dvd concerts,it's the gold standard for me,few even get close.I go to quite a few smaller venue shows(a few thousand people)I often hear sounds from certain instruments behind me,the same as on my two set ups using stereo only.

I agree.

Oldb,if you are a Satriani fan you'll want to get Live in San Fran.I bought the 2disc set a few years back for $15,great set,show and sound.As to Steely Dan -Two Against Nature dvd,I own about 250 dvd concerts,it's the gold standard for me,few even get close.I go to quite a few smaller venue shows(a few thousand people)I often hear sounds from certain instruments behind me,the same as on my two set ups using stereo only.

I really can't comment about Steely Dan, but I accept your comments on it, but Joe on the other hand...............I am not a BIG fan of Joe's, but cannot deny his Guitar playing skills, a very talented young Man, plays his music, and is not playing what he thinks will sell..........hard to see him bald, after years of his curly locks, but he certainly knows his way around the neck of a Guitar............You always knew he was different..........have had the San Fran in my hand a couple of times and put it back, will have to pick that up............I really liked G-3, Joe is good, Eric Johnson was o.k., Steve Vai, awesome, 3 different styles..................So many choices, so little time................Love DVD concerts...................Fish, what do you think about Pulse? Might have already asked you................

Here's a "heads up" for any Delbert McClinton fans out there.

A while back when DeepDiscount DVD had their sale I pre-ordered a Delbert McClinton "Live in Austin" DVD scheduled for release on July 25, 2006. Well, the DVD arrived a couple of days ago and, rather than the new performance I was expecting, it is a DVD of an Austin City Limits performance taped in 1982.

Not a bad show, just not what I was expecting.

James

You were looking for the show of the Disc I did a write-up on..............Let me tell you something, If they ever release that dvd I WILL have it, that would be a Must have in this house................at any price............I'll bet the Austin City Limits show is real good, but the 2003 show is the one I want................I will get it.............someday.................All I can say is, Delbert's the Man..................what an UNsung talent Mr. Mc Clinton is.............

oldbuckster:

Nah, I wasn't looking for any particular session, I just saw a listing for an "about to be released" DVD and ordered it.

Since it was being released in July of 2006, I assumed it would be something more recent than a 24 year old recording of a TV performance. Being a Delbert fan I would have bought it anyway. It's just not what I was expecting.

James

My 2 cents...

Great recordings

Eagles HFO and Farewell I (enough said)

Alison Krauss and Union Station - Live (you don't even have to like the music but I bet you will when it's over)

Roger Waters - In the Flesh

James Taylor - Live at the Beacon Theater

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense

Boz Skaggs - Greatest Hits Live

Very good recordings

Fleetwood Mac - The Dance

ELO - Zoom

Petre Gabriel - Secret World Live

Peter Frampton - Live in Detroit

Heart - Alive in Seattle

Dave Mason - Live at Sunrise (short, but outstanding!)

The Band - Last Waltz

Santana - Supernatural

Poor recordings

Rush - Live in Rio (huge disappointment to me... can hardly listen to it)

There are others... I just can't think of them right now. Will check when I get home.

Mike

QUEEN--We Will Rock You. I never tire of watching and/or hearing that.

I recently purchased their Making of Night At The Opera DVD. Very enjoyable. Mostly behind the scene stuff, interviews with engineers, producer; and of course, Brian May and Roger Taylor. They talk about doing some weird stuff like playing back a song into some headphones that are in a metal pan, there is also a microphone in the metal pan recording what is coming out of the headphones--that is the sound that went on the album for that particular song (Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon).

• 11 months later...