Will 600 WPC be enough for my Cornwalls?

BigBusa

jay email me the funny monkey ones!

Ray garrison that's what I'm talking about! Yeah baby!

Dbflash the dynaco st400's have "dynaguard" so an inline speaker protecting fuse isn't needed.

Today I swapped out the single st400 playing in stereo with a single st120 (60 wpc) playing in stereo to see what the difference would be.

NOT MUCH!

I still can't get over "3" on the NAD 1020 preamp! God knows I don't need 600 wpc to power a pair of cornwalls ...but it will be interesting to see how it works out.

Question for DJK. The Levinson site claims that when bridged, the amp sees the load as 1/2 of it rated impedence. Thus a 4 ohm nominal will look like a 2 ohm load. I got the impression that bridging amps was only recomended for high nominal impedence speakers.

JIm N

lynn my listening/living room has the entry door in one corner of the wall where the speakers need to be. The Khorns just won't work 15.gif. I have a feeling they'll be sitting in the owners livingroom for years to come. At some point I will own Khorns ...maybe even those ...but right now I'm so damned impressed with my cornwalls that I have a hard time replacing them.

Daddydee I found a pic of that maxell "blown away" poster and couldn't see any amps. Am I looking at the wrong maxell poster?

maxell_blown_away.jpeg

"Dbflash the dynaco st400's have "dynaguard" so an inline speaker protecting fuse isn't needed."

Dynaguard does not stop the amplifier from clipping, it does limit the long term average power.

Any setting higher than the lowest, or 20W, is pointless for hi-fi.

The front panel fuseholders on the ST400 are 'in-line' speaker fuses.

"Question for DJK. The Levinson site claims that when bridged, the amp sees the load as 1/2 of it rated impedence. Thus a 4 ohm nominal will look like a 2 ohm load. I got the impression that bridging amps was only recomended for high nominal impedence speakers."

This is correct. Bridging doubles the voltage swing, this makes the current drain double, looking like half the nominal impedance.

90% of the time bridging just gets you into trouble.

'2 ohm stable' means it will run 4 ohms OK.

If you really need to run 2 ohms, buy a McIntosh. The MC2300 will run 0.25 ohm in mono, most others will do 1 ohm in mono. I've driven eight 15" woofers in a dance club situation with a Mac amp, all night, every night, for years(literally), they don't care.

http://www.roger-russell.com/amplif2.htm

Bunch of long-hair types driving a sh^t-load of EV/Klipsch T35/K77 tweeters with a stack of MC2300s, some JBL stuff too.

http://website.lineone.net/~hintez/sound2.jpg

Longhair types? It's the Grateful Dead and their p.a. system. No mixer, each microphone has its own volume control on stage so they could mix themselves. I'm sure they could do that with the right amount of acid. 9.gif

Marvel

----------------

On 7/15/2003 12:11:52 PM Marvel wrote:

Longhair types? It's the Grateful Dead and their p.a. system. No mixer, each microphone has its own volume control on stage so they could mix themselves. I'm sure they could do that with the right amount of acid.
9.gif

Marvel

----------------

Marvel Marvel Marvel. They haven't done the acid tests in eons. That's a stereotype that's just not the case anymore. They happen to be one of the more clean-cut bands around these days (now that they're Jerryless8.gif ). Not to mention that they're pushing 60! They've all paid in spades for their past lifestyles and are now doing some great stuff on tour (especially Phil and Friends). I encourage everyone to catch a P&F show during the upcoming fall tour. Outstanding performances! Skip "The Dead" though. No comparison. Even those not into the Grateful Dead will be able to apprectiate the quality musicians they bring to the stage.1.gif

Would those crown amps be enough to power my heresy's??

I've been watching movies and with the 75 watts that my yamaha puts out I can only vibrate the floor and send a sort of rumble through my apt complex.

I need something that will actually crack the foundation, I'm not going to be satisfied until I have an eviction notice.

I have though about adding a subwwofer to my setup but I have decided I might as well just put more power into the speakers i've already got.

Peace, Josh

garymd,

The pic is of the Dead in 1974. I would almost guarantee they were still doing acid then. I was, at least I might have been...

It was a joke -- I like the Dead, but they still can't sing.

Marvel

Never really got into the Grateful Dead's music, but I appreciated how the band would allow anyone with a tape recorder and a pair of microphones the opportunity to record any of their live concerts! I can't think of any other band or performer who'd allow anyone (amateur or professional) to record their concerts without permission.

Someone told me this week that the Dead now record their shows direct to CD and send it straight to a mastering/duplicating facility at the end of each show. They take orders at the show and are raising $500k from each even. I'l try to check that out. They have more bootlegs than any band, but providing jacks for people to plug into definitely encourages it.

A friend of mine had a tape made straight off the console from a Van Morrison concert (mid '70s). A line was run to a busines next door to the concert hall. That show was rocking good!

deang,

Missing chromosomes because you think lower power is fine or because of acid? 9.gif

Marvel

Yeah, I figure 3.5 watts compared to 60 watts is about the same as 60 watts to 600. My comments to Busa about his 600 remind me of Kelly's comments to me regarding my desire to run more than 30.

Most of my trips were with Peyote -- chromosomes still looking good.2.gif

Dean having recently spoken with quite a few people who know far more about the dynaco 400 and it's capabilities than you, I'm quite confident I'm doing the right thing.

I'm assuming you've never even heard a dynaco 400 in stereo or mono or know it's specs in stereo or mono. You're simply not qualified to give advice on what we're doing.

When you purchase two, have them bridged and power a pair of cornwalls then report back here with your completely negative findings then and only then will I listen to your prickish nonsense.

PS you don't have the market on a-hole-ism cornered. 2.gif