This journalist calls THESE dream speakers?

lancestorm

I was gonna email him since there is a link to his email and ask him what the hell he is thinking. This is what I was gonna send.

Hello Gary,

With such a poor efficiency I would hardly consider these dream speakers. The Klipsch RF-7 in the same price range would annihilate them, with the sheer dynamics and realism that they can produce. With an efficiency of 102db@1W you could get them loud with a few mere watts.

A concered audiophile,

Charles Borchers

I will try emailing him from home. 88db@1W gimme a break no wonder he needed better gear probably with lots of power.

I agree the speakers described are not what I would call DREAM SPEAKERS but...

Efficiency does not make a speaker(s) sound good.Efficiency is one of the many factors making a speaker great.

There are many efficient speakers taht sound like $hit.

I pit my very inefficient Dynaudio Contour 3.3 against most LOUD and EFFICIENT speakers and I would not even pay half as much for the LOUD and EFFICIENT garbage.

Quality powerful amps are here to compensate,my Krell and Celeste MOON sure do.1.gif

If what you say has any truth my(again)Dynaudio Contour is lousy compared to Klipsch Reference.Well flash news WRONG all the way

Ear, you are correct. I was only stating one small specification out of the many provided. My overall point was that the RF-7 was a better speaker no matter what the specs as compared to the supposed dream speaker.

Yeah, Yeah, Blah, Blah I have heard all the Dynaudio, Morel, Macrom, Vifa, Peerless, Focal, Scan Speak, Eton, MB Quart, A/D/S Braun, etc., etc. based speakers there not bad, but lack the dynamics and lifelike performance of the Klipsch Heritage series sorry. Soft dome tweeters alone won't do it regardless of manufacturer. You pay an afwul lot for a name.

I have used Dynaudio's best woofers in my car system the 30W100's in a custom Isobarik enclosure, and used the Morel MW-166's 6" drivers with 3" Hexatech voice coils coupled with custom crossovers and dynaudio tweeters in my car. I ran it with the best head unit (Alpine 7909) and some of the best amps in the business as well. While it sounded fantastic, the Image Dynamics systems with the horns would annihilate it in the imaging and soundstage department.

Don't get me wrong though, Dynaudio makes a hell of a good speaker, but I honestly don't think they are worth what you pay for them.

"His statement(Devore) on the Web site goes on to decrie audio components that sound impressive at first, yet disappoint the listener in the long run simply because they fail to convey those ephemeral and fragile elements of music through which the artists express their intent."

IMO, these Gibbon 8's would disapoint me for the very same reason.

I like how the Krakow guy conveniently makes a last note that the speakers were used with a $3800 15 watt SE amp.

No wonder they had a nice sound.

A guy could build a pair of Gibbon 8's, for a lot less.

Who Knows....

In a car,you so called anihalated Dyanudios were used in a...car. LOL Stop this is funny with the trash can acoustics and heavy EQ use(abuse)you heard Dynes!? LOL You heard your EQ,EQ all car systems make HEAVY use of EQ.ALL

Side by side Dynaudio Contour 3.3 whip the coloration out of RF7's.I have both and used them both with a Krell FPB600 for A/B tests,so amp quality is not in question here.The FPB600 is in the top ten best SS amps at ANY price(makes H/K and the likes sound thin and challenged).

Dynamics are poor...LOL what did you power your Dynaudio with? A cheap stake receiver with so called "high current" with a 100VA transformer?Try a FPB600( a real amp) and see if Dyanudio lacks dynamics

I use Klipsch for HT and heavy metal/rock/electronica where coloration is less obvious(movies and movie special effects are all colorations and special effects).For finer music like Jazz,Classical or anything where voivce is center stage Dynaudio is in a league of its owm(ith a select few).

All I know is my affordable $899 pr. Magnepans would probably blow the Gibbons away in an A/B comparision. Hell, even my brother's Acoustic Energy Aegis Two (from the UK) 2-way floorstanding loudspeakers would beat the Gibbons (120 watts max, 88.5 dB sens, 35Hz-22kHz, and $179 pr. on AudiogoN.com)...these towers are connected via silver 18 AWG Stout-Interconnects A-2 Extreme Speaker Cables to two McIntosh MC250 power amps bridged mono (100 watts each), and they sound sweet!

Of course the Gibbons can't compare to Klipsch RF-7's (or Cornwalls)!

Nothing and I mean nothing beats the up front sound of Klipsch. Klipsch puts the artist in the same room with you, I mean this is the whole purpose of music right. Anyways compare the klispch sound to a B@W, Paradigm and Dynaudio which are all laid back, they all sound pale in comparison to the klipsch. The awesome aggresive powerful beast sound of klipsch will always stay with me.

----------------

On 7/29/2003 6:52:25 PM TheEAR wrote:

In a car,you so called anihalated Dyanudios were used in a...car. LOL Stop this is funny with the trash can acoustics and heavy EQ use(abuse)you heard Dynes!? LOL You heard your EQ,EQ all car systems make HEAVY use of EQ.ALL

Side by side Dynaudio Contour 3.3 whip the coloration out of RF7's.I have both and used them both with a Krell FPB600 for A/B tests,so amp quality is not in question here.The FPB600 is in the top ten best SS amps at ANY price(makes H/K and the likes sound thin and challenged).

Dynamics are poor...LOL what did you power your Dynaudio with? A cheap stake receiver with so called "high current" with a 100VA transformer?Try a FPB600( a real amp) and see if Dyanudio lacks dynamics

I use Klipsch for HT and heavy metal/rock/electronica where coloration is less obvious(movies and movie special effects are all colorations and special effects).For finer music like Jazz,Classical or anything where voivce is center stage Dynaudio is in a league of its owm(ith a select few).

----------------

hmm, speaker colorations. who cares, you're only reproducing a recorded, cleaned up version of the orignal thing, so what does it really matter if the klipsch color it? you're already so far from the real thing, at this point it doesn't really matter. sure, dynaudio's may have a flat response, but all they can reproduce is what's fed to them, and unless you have magic components, it is the same heavily altered source material being fed through all of our systems. with that in mind, I just get what sounds good to me. after doing many performances, I can tell you no speaker ever created comes close to a live performance, not dynaudio contuour 3.3's are no closer than anything else.

colorations aside, notice how much resources you have to invest to get dynamic performance out of the dynaudio's. Klipsch can sound incredible with less than 5 watts, with dynaudio you wouldn't be unwise to be running 300 watts per channel, which is exactly what you're doing with that krell 3.gif . so anyway, look at the prices. say you buy Klipsch RF-7's from a retail dealer, $2200. the quick silver horn monoblock tube amps will get you a VERY dynamic sound, at only about 1,600 a pair. so, there you have it, a dynamic system for 3,800 RETAIL.

now, for the less efficient, dynaudios...15.gif you claim to get the most out of the dynaudio's, you need a VERY high end amplifier. take your krell for example. the list on these babies is 12,500. the dynaudio contours will run you close to 7 grand for the pair RETAIL 6.gif .

so there it is, 2 nice, very dynamic systems. one costs 3,800, the other 19,500. In reality, the colorations the klipsch bring forth don't really matter when you look at all the coloring the recording equipment does, and the mastering the studio engineers do, and lastly the sound quality degradation as it finally makes it's way to CD format. dynaudio's are realistically portraying the music as it was originally RECORDED and ALTERED, not as it was originally PLAYED. klipsch do the same. so, if you prefer the sound of klipsch, they truely are the superior speaker from both a price and sound quality standpoint. it comes down to personal preference. you say you listen to your klipsch for rock music and things that it doesn't make a difference if it's colored or not. I listen to my RF-5 Mcintosh combo for almost strictly jazz music, and it sounds excellent to me. as good as any Dynaudio speaker, but thats just my opinion. to you, the less bright/colored sound is the way to go. to each his own.

Yeah! What Prod said! He is right. Gimme a cheap HK 430 and pair of Klipschorn's and say goodnight to the Dyn's

By the way I ran the best car amps money could buy at the time the Hifonics Platinum Series "Isis" and "Ulysses" high current competition amplifiers and uh, I did not need to use an Equalizer thank you. Tone controls on the 7909 were set "flat" as I said they sounded damn good you must not have been listening. I won a number of competitions, my point is like what Prod said price vs. performance.

I think you need to clean the wax out of your good Ear.

I own 90Khorns and multiple klipsch surrounds. I love my khorns to death, but I have to side with THE EAR on RF7's not being in the same class as Dyn's 3.3's. Not even close. I've auditioned the 3.4's and 5.4's, and its a world of difference. As for price point advantage, Klipsch is the bang for the buck hands down winner. Quality price, quality product. Klipsch Heritage, well.. nuff said.

Cultrain88

Aragon Stage One

Bat VK-200

Aragon 3005

Music Fidelity A3

Denon 2900

Mitsubishi 73909

Klipschorns 90 Ak-3

RC-7, RS-7's

(2)SVS 20-39 PC+

Tranparent and Straightwire Interconnects & Speaker wire

PS Audio and Transparent Line Conditioners

----------------

On 7/30/2003 8:39:12 AM cultrain88 wrote:

I own 90Khorns and multiple klipsch surrounds. I love my khorns to death, but I have to side with THE EAR on RF7's not being in the same class as Dyn's 3.3's. Not even close. I've auditioned the 3.4's and 5.4's, and its a world of difference. As for price point advantage, Klipsch is the bang for the buck hands down winner. Quality price, quality product. Klipsch Heritage, well.. nuff said.

Cultrain88

Aragon Stage One

Bat VK-200

Aragon 3005

Music Fidelity A3

Denon 2900

Mitsubishi 73909

Klipschorns 90 Ak-3

RC-7, RS-7's

(2)SVS 20-39 PC+

Tranparent and Straightwire Interconnects & Speaker wire

PS Audio and Transparent Line Conditioners

----------------

better if you prefer that sound...many klipsch owners hate the sound of "flat response" speakers. I myself do aswell. they just sound boring. however, if you and ears find these speakers good sounding, suit yourself. I have used the confidence C4's, B&W nautilus 800's, and many others and I've never been very impressed.

Frantznitwit,

My wax is worth more then two pairs of scratched and discolored Cornbreadwallz,maybe a few cannot enjoy finesse and refined sound.I can understand as those with damaged hearing lose upper frequency sensitivity and to them AGRESSIVE,BLEEDY,RAW,BRUTAL and OBNOXIUS(as sweet as pepper spray) sound sounds...better and not boring flat.

Tubes are popular with BIG horns because they attenuate and tame the PIT BULL like sound.Tubes can almost bring musicality to Saddam's speech!

Now before a fanatic,lunatic and zealot calls me anti Klipsch let me remind you people I own lotsa lotsa Klipsch and enjoy the BRUTAL qualities just as much as Frantznitwit and ProVeJay and the next Loud O Phile !!!

Excuse me while I enjpoy more Dynaudio/Krell/Audio Research goodness,flat...nah only to the hearing challenged.

1.gif

"Hello Gary,

With such a poor efficiency I would hardly consider these dream speakers. The Klipsch RF-7 in the same price range would annihilate them, with the sheer dynamics and realism that they can produce. With an efficiency of 102db@1W you could get them loud with a few mere watts.

A concered audiophile,

Charles Borchers"

Ok I understand you may not agree,neither do I.This so called self proclaimed audio "journalist" probably does not know better.Even here your point is weak,very weak and insensitive.SENSITIVITY DOES NOT MAKE A SPEAKER

HELLO HELLO

Did you at least hear the speakers in question? Very probaly NO

So your OPINION is no better then the journalist you point.Or do you have a magic wand and/or heard all speakers?

If you do have magical power then write to Santa Claus and mention TheEAR you will get a free admission to the Royal School of Elfish intuition!