I'm no audiophile

Wolk1

but I know what I like. I recently replaced a very old Yamaha receiver with a new Onkyo as part of my home theater, with Cornwalls up front. The system sounds great as a theater set up, but sounds very harsh when playing music cds in a two channel mode. The old 30 watt Yamaha sounded a lot better (warmer?). Any thoughts on what might be a good amplifier to match my speakers? Nothing too esoteric. Thanks for any help.

Onkyo built some decent SS stuff, but Yamaha was (and perhaps remains) one of the best for the bucks SS builder.

SS is cheap, and often just fine if it floats your boat. If you have Cornies you you didn't inherit or steal you can afford a decent SS amp it that is what you want. Just shop around.

Dave

Heritage Speakers are unforgiving to low quality components like all in one receivers.

One of the best deals on a quality SS amp is the McIntosh MC-250. It is a sterio 50 watt (more like 75 watt) solid state amp built in the late 60's and 70s. Can be had off Ebay in the $300-400 range, sometimes lower.

JM

I would recommend a nice tube integrated but I dont know if that would float your boat. Persnally, the CW sounds plain amazing with even run of the mill tube gear, doing better than semi-expensive solid state. Having run quite a few samples of both, I would opt the tube route. If going solid state, the Monarchy Audio SM-70 is an ok choice but still doesnt equal a tube amp operating on all cylinders. This is just what I have found although you will have others via SS happy and smiling a'glee. Vintage options from EICO, Scott, Fisher, and Pilot will please. It's money well spent. Regardless, used is the option to take via somewhere like Audiogon and ebay if feeling the force is with you, cliche included. There are some little solid state integrated that arent that bad too, but I prefer the tube route. You wont be sorry and will probably never look at another Japanese receiver again, except in passing.

kh

----------------

On 8/16/2003 8:06:57 PM j-malotky wrote:

"One of the best deals on a quality SS amp is the McIntosh MC-250."

JM

----------------

I'll second that as well...for SS, it (and the MC2100 and other Macs) are hard to beat. But it's also not the only game in town. If you're still considering SS, you may also want to check out the '70s harman/kardon 430 and 730 receivers (also the 930, although you really don't need all its power for your Cornwalls). And if tubes interest you, the above mentioned vintage H.H. Scott, Dynaco, EICO, Pilot, Fisher, Marantz, and also McIntosh, are definately good bets as well.

If you still want to stay in an AV receiver that's good for both movies and music, I hear that the latest Yamaha and Outlaw receivers sound pretty damn good with 2-channel music and Heritage horns...it's worth a check.

I guess I don't really understand why your rig would sound "great" in HT mode, and "harsh" with music in two-channel. Since so many soundtracks are recorded fairly hot, I would expect the opposite to more likely be the case. Does the music sound harsh on movies? If so, maybe your room is a bit too lively, and perhaps just turning the treble down a wee bit on your receiver would help. If the problem is only with CD's, then the cause is more likely a cumulative effect of bright digital, bright ss and hot horns. Again, just back off the treble a couple of db's and see if it helps.

In a attempt to see what my Cornwalls could do,(and because it's been too damn hot to run tubes)I hooked them up to my ol' wore out sloppy NAD 2300 power envelope.

Fixed out from the CDP to the amp. The amp has two volume pots for L/R.

Instant PA speakers.

Throw on the Death Metal and go outside.

Thank God it cooled off....

Thanks for all of the replies. In response to a couple of the questions-

I didn't inherit the cornwalls- but I did get a great deal on them 15 years ago- they came out of Chet Atkins house in Nashville

Pure music off of DVDs sounds harsh as well- no real difference compared to CDs

I am looking for a 2 channel only amp and to seperate it from the home theater set up.

In reading over the numerous posts, I'm leaning towards tubes. I've got my eye on a Dynaco SCA-35- I would like to keep my investment down- any other suggestions on good tube "starter" amps?

Thanks again for the help

Any suggestions on good tube starter amps? Lordy. That's basically what most of this place has been about the past few years...

There are many options and although the Dynaco SCA-35 is a neat little amp, I think better sonics can be obtained from other vintage units. The SCA-35, though nice, it not the best in the bottom end.

My personal #1 choice is the EICO HF-81 but others love the various Scott 299 selections. Pilot made some excellent amps too. I like a few of the Fisher units as well. The HF-81 recently has come way down in price making it one of the top bargains again. Lord, there is a thread about it at the moment that holds the traditional 2 Channel exchange, always an amusing thing with a cup of coffee and pad of chocolate for dessert.

The archives hold so much banter on the various 2 channel tube integrateds, you would get gray before wading through it all...

kh

The last HF-81 on Ebay ended a $257 while this is less then the insane days of last year it is in no way any better bargain then any other integrated. A bargain integrated would be $150 ! All of the better integrated amps go for $200 to $350 depending on cosmetics.

Craig

Definitely looks like you've landed yourself into Scott or Eico territory. You will need to factor in some additional money to have your choice gone over to make sure it is safe to use. Some parts will probably need to be replaced. Figure on $200 to bring it back to spec -- bringing with it an excellent, harmonically rich sound.

----------------

On 8/17/2003 9:06:03 AM Fish wrote:

I think the pre amp of the Onkyo is the problem,I owned 656,777,898 and Carver amps couldn't help em'.

----------------

I have the opposite experience here. My Onkyo 777 works great as a preamp in direct mode feeding my Adcom amp. I know there were two different generations of the 777 released. The first one had a bad hiss problem in the center channel. Maybe that was the difference.

Wolk1: You never say what your CD source is. If you are only having a problem with CD playback, have you tried a different CD player, or at least tried switching from the digital to analog outputs? I know I have the same problem if I use the digital connections from my CD player. The analog out has a much better sound.

----------------

On 8/17/2003 9:49:04 AM DeanG wrote:

Definitely looks like you've landed yourself into Scott or Eico territory. You will need to factor in some additional money to have your choice gone over to make sure it is safe to use. Some parts will probably need to be replaced. Figure on $200 to bring it back to spec -- bringing with it an excellent, harmonically rich sound.

----------------

Wolk1,

I've got a factory built Eico HF-81 that I think I'm ready to let go. Rebuilt by Craig a few months ago. Email if interested.

John