Do you ever get burned out on music?

Audio Flynn

I have listned to allot of Rock and Jazz in the past 24 hours.

I had to get off it.

A mint copy of an 1981 LP; CBS great performances of Bernstein conducting the NY Philharmonic.

Pictures at an Exhibition and A night on Bald Mountain.

Pretty awesome dynamic range for an LP. Tympani and cello make a large statement in this classical work.

I may have to stay in classical for a while before i jump back into rock again. Maybe 4-6 hours of listening.

I sometimes get bored with the same old music over and over but then I just switch to something new (rock to jazz to classical to broadway, etc.). I never get completely burned out. Since I was introduced to tubes however, I can listen to a good recording every day for a week without getting bored with it.

I treat music like every other activity. Whether it be a good meal, getting laid or a day spent fishing. I have to be hungry to enjoy it.

The last thing I want after a great meal is another great meal. Six hours of listening is just way too much for me. But after a 10 day journey into the wilds of Alaska, A couple hours with the stereo is just the ticket.

The key to life is moderation. There is a balance with everything.

Music is my life ! I even leave the radio playing if i'm gone out for a while. I listen to music on the drive to work, 8 hrs a day at work and then again on the drive home. After doing the domestic things like dishes, laundry, cooking listening to music, I put the radio on low when I go to bed at night. I can't imagine going without music for a long period. I would get withdrawl symptoms. However, I do like listening to the radio a little more than cd after cd. I find that the commercials and contests and news break up the monotony.

One must have intelligent conversation every once in awhile, dont you think? And how about the sounds of nature alone? Trees in wind? The ocean? Perhaps even a wild animal or two? I do see the various points here, though. There are times when music sounds alien and corrupting, such as on the beach. There is something about a boom box on the beach that is depressing as a trip to a Wax Museum.

Actually, I cant bear to listen to commercial radio anymore; the ads featuring compressed and screamed promotion are enough to send one into a subhuman funk with less hope for the intelligence of modern man. I hope your stations are better than the commercial radio I have heard recently.

kh

I pretty much agree with Gary And Kelly.

I listen to classical ~70% of the time, but if it's gets too demanding, I'll listen to jazz or maybe some rock.

Kelly makes an interesting point. A lot of the classical composers got their themes after getting out of their music room. Beethoven's 6 "Pastoral", Dvorak's 9 "From the New World". How would have Shostakovich been inspired if it hadn't been for the political turmoil?

I'll never get burned out on music. It helps relax me, helps encourage me, and at times helps me concentrate.

TV, yes. I can't believe the friggin crap they are putting out these days!!!!

Greetings:

I find that when I don't listen to music, I get cranky or moody.

I associate many things in my life with the music of the time.

The music of today is really an attempt to make music, but something that has not been done before. The poor part is in doing so, much of it is very similar.

A few years ago, we had Hootie and the Blowfish. They went over in a big way. They sounded like a lot of the bar bands of the late 60s, early 70s.

It amazes me that a number of the youth of today do not know the names of the groups we listened to - but put a song on and they can sing right along.

I love the oldies. I know my mortality and would relive all of my life over again. I'd make three changes: I would record my Mother and Father playing (independent of each other), I'd use saved up allowance to buy matched pairs of KT-88s at $19.50 a pair, when W. G. called on a valentine's day, I would have asked for a return phone number - in my mind I figured something must be wrong.

One other: I wouldn't get as hooked on equipment as I am. When you're a perfectionist, it gets in the way too much.

Win dodger

Music,gotta have it just about everyday(of course not all day).Even after many years I can still find good old music that I somehow missed.Music is such a huge part of my life if I ever get tired of it I'll know something is way wrong with me.Not to mention that occasional memory of some long gone beatiful day.

----------------

On 8/25/2003 6:15:09 AM ssh wrote:

Music needs rests,or it's noise to me.

SSH

----------------

I agree. There was a time when I listened to music (or some type of sensory input) all the time. But now I need a certain amount of time alone with my thoughts and any kind of music or noise becomes an intrusion. There are other times when only the most soothing, non-vocal material will do. I have this other hobbylong-distance motorcyclingwhere many employ quality, in-helmet audio systems with great satisfaction. I choose to do it with as much silence as possible, wearing ear plugs to minimize ambient noise. I'll go out for a week and not even hear a news report. Then when I do get back into music it seem new and fresh again.

John

Kelly's points are spot on to me. With some exceptions. Oyster Pond in St. Martin has 2 beach bars. One will pump out Soca and Calypso all day. With 75 cent beers from 11 AM - 4 PM!! If you want to get away from it, 50 yards down the beach and all you hear is the surf. Perfect. If all they played was music I already knew, it would be out of place, but as it is it really sets up nicely.

I hardly ever get burned out on music. Like others, I simply shift gears when I'm bored. I do appreciate a quiet moment, though. Every now and then, I'll drive the 25 min to work with the stereo off.

I can relate to all the above statements, but I've never gotten burned out by music. I surround myself with it for most of my waking hours (and have at times fallen asleep with it playing softly in the background). I work in a musical environment (Guitar Center), and I listen alot while I'm home, if not to my own system, then those of my two brothers who live with me. And I don't ever get tired of one style of music...I can be listening to a Bach prelude and fugue one minute, and a hard hitting tune from The Cure the next. From Aaron Copeland to AC/DC, or a week straight of nothing but the complete organ compositions of Cesar Franck! But I've never been bored of a particular genre of music that I've got to keep clear of it for any amount of time. There's even been times when I'd hit the repeat button on my CD player and listen to the very same CD over and over again for several days straight, and then listen to it again a day or two later!

It's crazy how music affects our way of life. If only I was a musician...WOW!

It was definitely a tounge in cheek statement.

I think i just rocked out to much in 3 days straight.

Friday: NOS VALVES visit; roadtrip

Saturday: roadtrip; crank up the improved LK-48

Sunday: maximum LK-48 jammin'

Kind of an end of summer Michigan ritual.

People in the south would have trouble relating to the way it fells like it slipping away.

After i started this thread I listend to 2 sides of 4 of a Gerry Mulligan Anthology on Prestige. Soothed the hard rock "burn out".

I am better now.

i agree there are some places music does not work.

THe beach or a campground are 2 of the ones as they are meant to be experienced.

I sometimes wonder why classical has such legs. Of course it is quality stuff even if I don't "understand" it. Perhaps the slight, and not slight, variations between performances keep it interesting too. Also, some is just so magestic, pretty, and strikes subtile emotional chords.

Very much of what we have on the airwaves of pop and rock is the same very much overplayed recording. Covers are sometimes good, but no always.

The other day I was thinging about DSotM. Certainly one of the most important rock productions of the era even though I like others better. It may well be a classic in 100 years, I'd think. On the other hand, will there be a series of recreations by other groups, as Beethoven, Bach (easier to spell than Mussorski (sp?)) has always been recreated? I dunno.

Gil