Don Garber

Deang

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to one former fi owner, he preferred the Wright Sound Company 2A3s.  Below are his words verbatim.

"I've had the fi "X" and ASL Tulip.  The Wrights sound more balanced and extended at both ends with that reach out and touch effect you can only get from SET amps."

He might of made that statement only to sell the Wrights. Take it with a grain of salt.

- tb

P.S. They certainly look nice. No one here has commented on their sonics. I'd buy them, but I'm already SET. Ha!

I have some literature on these if you are interested. This includes comments in some reviews etc. If you are curious, email the seller and ask which output transformers are in this model. Some had better MagneQuest trans than others.

I am not sure why this model hasnt sold. It does put out less power than the Moondogs if you notice; not sure if these is a mistake from the seller or not. Also, when a SET can change between the 2A3 and 45 there are some compromises here.

The Fi gets great comments. I dont think a lot of people know what they sound like to be honest. I might cut and paste some comments on them in this thread later. Don Garber is held in high esteem and is an eccentric. The FI was his attempt at getting the most direct signal path in a totally unique chassis that made this possible.

Joe Roberts liked the Fi and if you read the article, "I never met a 2A3 amp I didnt like" you will see them. As a matter of fact, I have that article posted on my server. I'll put a link to it. I really RECOMMEND you read the whole article. It's really intereseting and WELL WORTH the read. I would like you to read it actually. The whole thing has merit.

I never met a 2A3 Amp I Didnt Like By Joe Roberts

kh

Jeff, Are you going by looking at that picture? OR by the amp? You know that he put several different outputs in these. I think the DS-025 was the upgraded one if I remember from Mike talking about them. It does look a little bit LIKE the DS-025.

By the way, one OTHER reason this amp is so much cheaper is that it is a STEREO SET amp. This saves A LOT of money in that you dont have a seperate PS for each amp (the X shares ONE output trans/ PS /Rect for both channels). A stereo amp DOES save a lot of money in the extra chassis too. I personally have always sort of opted for the monoblocks with the SET approach as this gives a dedicated PS to each amp with its own rectifier, trans, cord etc. I know Jeff has made some stereo SET amps too. Actually, thinking back on it, I have never heard a stereo SET amp of any kind. They have all been monoblocks.

kh

----------------

On 9/5/2003 10:10:04 PM mobile homeless wrote:

Jeff, Are you going by looking at that picture? OR by the amp? You know that he put several different outputs in these. I think the DS-025 was the upgraded one if I remember from Mike talking about them. It does look a little bit LIKE the DS-025.

----------------

Christ I hate the software they use for this BB. 1/2 an hour of typing just disapeared into thin air...

My telling of the DS-025 is based on the picture. If not a DS-025, it might be a ES-025 but i would be surprised since Mike wind very few of those each year.

Stereo amps can be made to be nearly as good as monoblocks for much cheaper.

Heh... Cant wait to get back to NYC. It's my favorite city and it's been too long.

By the way, I was making a page for Guy Landau's system as I think he has:

1. A neat as hell apartment in NYC

2. Some great gear

Here is a preview (he just moved into his place so not setup yet). It's been changed around some since... Some of the gear includes: the Airtight ATM-300 amp and ATE-2 phono equalizer (with 1 line input). "They sound great and I didn't had a chance to listen to them before I bought them and had to count on my gut feeling that proved itself once again. It is my first SET amp and I absolutely love it."

"The speakers are Altec Lansing "Big Red" monitors that were sold to recording studios in the 70's and are quite rare (only 1000 pairs had been sold) and are equiped with 604E2, 15 inch coaxial driver and Doug Sax's "Mastering Lab" crossovers (modified with Hovlan caps and Van Den Hul SCS-16 wires), on custom made 21" Sound anchors stands." Other comments coming later.

guy_system_650.jpg

guy_horns_650.jpg

kh

----------------

On 9/5/2003 10:53:58 PM mobile homeless wrote:

Jeff, you dont think a totally separate power supply makes any difference? The extrea PS transformer/rectifier etc? and totally separate circuitry? I would think this would make a difference altough I have liked stereo amps (not saying ole Guy's AirTight isnt a beast...either).

kh

----------------

I'd put my money elsewhere than on a totaly separate PSU. I'd do this for a preamp (and actually did for my preamp) but for an amp, I think it is stretching it. It won't really reduce the noise level you did a really sloppy job.

When mentionning an extra PS/tube rectifier are you refering to dual mono? if so, dual mono will be exactly the same as two monoblocks in one single chassis. So you save on one chassis... not worthed in my view. Plus it may make for one heavy beast of an amp.

A good way to do it is to do a stereo (the best in my view) is done by Wavelength audio with the Duetto. He is running two PSU rail after the rectifier.

The second best way to do it (still in my view and it is what I have already done for my stereo amps) is two have dual PSU rail for the driver stage, right after the B+. You might take a look at the 2A3 PP circuit I posted a couple of months ago here.

Of course we can go crazy with PSU and the best way is to have totally separate supply for the output stage and the driver stage (either for monoblock or stereo amps). But cost is rising pretty fast so does weight. I still have to see an amp with separate driver supply under the five digit mark.

Still this is my own views and many will disagree with this.

Kelly,

I did make a mistake in my description. I've lived with my father's Unison Research Smart 845 SET monoblocks for a few months before we moved. I did prefer the Marantz model 2's over them and the Scott 265A's as well.

I liked the Airtight's sound so much that I nearly forgot all about the Unisons.

Guy

What do you mean you wont make it to NYC in your lifetime? Hell, you HAVE TO GO AT LEAST ONCE! It's by far the best city in the United States, bar none. Others cities have great aspects. I love Boston, DC, Portland, Seattle, San Francisco, New Orleans (used to), Charleston, Chicago, etc. But NYC is like no other and you HAVE to go. Lordy. It's one of a kind with 1000 different personalities in the diff areas. Hell, just the musical options alone on a given weekend are mindboggling. The Village is such a great place. Great Food. Great Art. IF anyone hasnt been, they need to go.

Let's all meet at Guy's place! heh.... His wife would change the locks, locking GUY out first!

kh

----------------

On 9/5/2003 11:20:56 PM mike stehr wrote:

The amp I'll eventually finish is stereo with one power supply.

These were a deal, but I dunno anymore....

----------------

Those DS-050 must be dating a bit since Mike haven't used these "MQ" endbell since aeons.

The design haven't changed since the early days though.

Think twice before jumping the 45 route. I personally can live easily with a 2A3 SET amp to play MC5 but anything else that chamber music and tiny littl' girl playing a tiny littl'guitar may be a tall order for a 45 SET amps.

Buy me a ticket, Kelly.

I'll go!

I made back as far as North Carolina. A good friend of mine visited NYC, he said the same thing.

I need to at least muster enough cash to make it to Silverdale for the VSAC here in about a month.

For the experience, if anything.

EDIT: Christ, I'm a slow poster.

It's a 300B amp,Jeff.

I do like the 45, though. I heard a old Marconi once, and a Cunningham.

Well since I'm editing:

Jeff,

Have you tried any 45 circuits with the FR speakers you have?(AER?)

And if you had, you still had problems with the amps/amps pinching and running out of steam?

What speakers are friendly with the little 1.5 watt tube?

Lowther?

I thought those Magnaquest OPT's looked different.