Don Garber

Deang

"I thought the Sex Pistols were actually ALL YOU REALLY NEED to be good rock musicians."

"I agree with you--the Sex Pistols were WAAAAAY more interesting than Journey or Starship or even Foghat (arrrrrgh)! At least they had something to say, even if they weren't all that articulate."

I think you are both completely whacked. The Sex Pistols sucked. Of course, I can live without Foghat. What is so interesting about a bunch of crappy musicians who can't play or can't sing?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your love of Journey is documented here. I know we all have different tastes in music. I just dont understand the love of something like Journey. Lord, in my day, any fellow musician would look at bands like Journey and REO Speedwagon as all GLOSS and new real angst. The fact that they took themselves seriouosly as "musicians" added insult to injury. This was the worst of Rock and Roll to me.

I would rather have my EYELIDS glued together than witness a tepid Journey ballad! Yeah, Neil Schon can play his instrument but with what style or soul (at least in Journey)? Journey HAS NO STYLE or SOUL! Compare this schlock to even the most mediocre Zeppelin, stones, who, hendrix, joplin, airplane (early) etc and it sounds like it's paint by numbers. The lyrics are cliche, and the warble of Perry sends me into a state of despair. The vision is even worse. It is like a floating modern ELVIS way after his prime without the humor! Perry in a white jumpsuit reminds me of why I pulled the plug on MTV in that time period. Of course, Journey has been around a long time...but lordy.

Heh... ok. I'll stop. But Journey? DEan...how did this happen?

kh

ps- You dont appreciate Hodges, Coltane, Rollins, Webster, Dolphy et al... but you LOVE Neil Schon and Stevehair Perry? LORDY! heh... Ok, let me have it!

----------------

On 9/6/2003 12:22:51 AM fini wrote:

What/who/where the Hell is VSAC?

fini

----------------

VSAC is "Vacuum State of the Art Conference", October 3-5, Silverdale, Washington. Details can be found at http://www.vsac2003.com. This will be the fourth VSAC; they have been held at 2-year intervals.

Seminars will be led by Allen Wright of Vacuum State Electronics, Bruce Edgar of Edgarhorn, and Charles King.

Exhibitors include all kinds of tube-related companies and high-efficiency speaker makers, such as:

Bottlehead

Welborne Labs

Modwright

Firefly Audio

Progressive Engineeering

MagneQuest

Exemplar Audio

Lowther America

First Impression Music

Wright Sound

DIYcable

Consonance

Adire Audio

Iconic Manufacturing

Cain&Cain

electronluv

Jena Labs

Bent Audio

Hagermann Technology LLC

Teres Audio

The Bolder Cable Company

Galibier Design

K & K Audio

Aliante loudspeakers

Amazon turntables

Audion tube electronics

Audist loudspeakers

Cadence Audio

Edison tube kits

Nightingale tube electronics

Revolver loudspeakers

Royal Device loudspeakers

Experience Music

Edgarhorn

Rethm Loudspeakers

Omega Speaker Systems

Experience Audio

Tubeseller.com

Solar Hifi

GR Research

Sun Audio & Two Bald Guys Audio

Cardas Audio

Hudson Audio

Audio Amateur Corp.

Oris Horn

Diversity Records

Harmonic Design Works

Redpoint Audio Design

Gary Dahl

----------------

On 9/5/2003 9:30:50 PM mobile homeless wrote:

I have some literature on these if you are interested. This includes comments in some reviews etc. If you are curious, email the seller and ask which output transformers are in this model. Some had better MagneQuest trans than others.

I am not sure why this model hasnt sold. It does put out less power than the Moondogs if you notice; not sure if these is a mistake from the seller or not. Also, when a SET can change between the 2A3 and 45 there are some compromises here.

The Fi gets great comments. I dont think a lot of people know what they sound like to be honest. I might cut and paste some comments on them in this thread later. Don Garber is held in high esteem and is an eccentric. The FI was his attempt at getting the most direct signal path in a totally unique chassis that made this possible.

Joe Roberts liked the Fi and if you read the article, "I never met a 2A3 amp I didnt like" you will see them. As a matter of fact, I have that article posted on my server. I'll put a link to it. I really RECOMMEND you read the whole article. It's really intereseting and WELL WORTH the read. I would like you to read it actually. The whole thing has merit.

kh

----------------

Great article! Thanks for posting!

Yeah, I guess singing love songs with a five octave range without going into falsetto is just a bit much for some people. The hair thing is funny, especially since it was the seventies, and everyone had the hair thing going on.

To me, "Journey" is primarily found on the first three albums, those early post Santana records smoked pretty good. In my mind, Journey will always be Schon, Rolle, Valory, and Dunbar. It didn't take me long to warm up to "Infinity" however, and it contains some of their best work. After that...well...I could generally only find a cut or two off of each record that I cared for. As long as they were rock'in I was cool, but when they went full blown Pop Lovin Touchin Squeezin, I moved on. There was a later recording that was pretty good, but I can't remember what it is. My opinion is, and always will be -- that after Rolle left, so did "Journey".

Does Coltrane play a wicked guitar? 9.gif

I certainly recognize, and can appreciate the genius of a John Coltrane, and many other accomplished jazz artists. I typically enjoy the music when I run across it, but for the most part I'm just not largely attracted to the sounds of brass and winds. I do enjoy Fusion, and think Bill Chase is fun to listen too.

Thank you, Gary!! Have you gone in the past? Sounds like a good place to get an education. I plan on tasting Sonoma County's finest at the Harvest Fair, happening that same weekend. Anyone need corks for their Cornwalls? I can already taste that Dry Creek Zin...

fini

BTW, I've always had a soft spot for The Tubes, speaking of SF Bay Area rock bands...

Fair enough. I just have to hand it to you for not flying off the playing board. That was quite the measured response. The ole Dean is back!

I understand the lack of gut reaction to classical jazz. I grew up with it all my life, playing every day and although I appreciated it, I wouldnt be honest if I didnt say it lacked the ability to really go into my being like the best rock with edge. This carried on probably until I was a sophomore in college. I was reading something about Johnny Hodges and the way he could bend notes on the sax, much like a guitar player. I remember the comparison struck me. I also remembered that Johnny Hodges was one of my Dad's favorite sax players and I probably heard his stuff with Ellington about a million times. The next time I went home on a break, I pulled out a bunch of Hodges and just COULD NOT BELIEVE HOW GREAT IT WAS! Lord, it was like hearing it for the first time again. I then started to read up on some of the other sax greats and asked my Dad some things. WE talked till 3am about some of the greats, as he pulled album after album out. Man, this stuff was amazing and held just as much as anything I had heard rock-wise. The idea of improvisation started to appeal more and more and the more I heard, the more I appreciated the substance. I now have just as many jazz albumbs from the 50s-60s as anything else besides my monster indie collection.

There is a lot of crap out there in the jazz world, as the soft jazz you hear now seems more vapid and lacks the burning nature of the earlier stuff. People like Kenny G have done more to harm Jazz than anyone else. But there is SO much great jazz out there.

I wish you would open up to this stuff as it contains some amazing material. I would love to make you a CD of some great examples that might get you interested. If you promise to give it a listen, I'll do it.

kh

ps- Thanks. That Roberts article is a must read for anyone into tubes. I REALLY recommend it - filled with info and circuits and comments on various SET and PP amps, including the famous Brooks PP 2A3 that Paul loved. SEE THIS: Joe Roberts article on many things TUBE

Hey, I heard the first album in gawd-knows-how-long to make my toes go a-tapping, a 1964 Louis Armstrong "Best of Louis Armstrong".

Can't get that thing off the TT since I cleaned it.

Oh, and I made Alan's cleaning ritual seem a bit half-hearted once I was done.

Two good scrubs with the Disk Doctor brushes, vac off with the NG each time.

Distilled water wash, another vac.

NG cleaning fluid wash, vac off.

distilled water rinse, vac off.

Dry in rack, zap with the old Milty, and voila!

The records that still are noisy after this must simply be damaged beyond repair.

What's so "ridiculous" and "offensive" about the statemtent? Since I've never heard anything you listen too, the only thing I have to go on is vague descriptions of it in posts. Now, I could understand if I had said, "not even remotely interesting".

Yeesh, you had just got done saying the Sex Pistols were more interesting and had better things to say than Starship. Give me a break!

----------------

On 9/6/2003 3:24:11 PM DeanG wrote:

Yeesh, you had just got done saying the Sex Pistols were more interesting and had better things to say than Starship. Give me a break!

----------------

Well... that is stating a fact Dean!

PP better than SET is a matter of taste but the Sex Pistols being better that Starship is just a fact nothing more!

----------------

On 9/6/2003 2:07:58 PM mobile homeless wrote:

The next time I went home on a break, I pulled out a bunch of Hodges and just COULD NOT BELIEVE HOW GREAT IT WAS! Lord, it was like hearing it for the first time again. I then started to read up on some of the other sax greats and asked my Dad some things. WE talked till 3am about some of the greats, as he pulled album after album out. Man, this stuff was amazing and held just as much as anything I had heard rock-wise.

----------------

Those are the times that I really miss ... those "binary" moments of revelation where your life makes a left or right turn.

Cool that you did it with your dad. I never got to do that.

----------------

On 9/6/2003 4:01:03 PM Chris Robinson wrote:

This thread is one of my favorite of all time.

Jeff, really nice to see you posting now that the PhD is a slam dunk. You have so much to add to this place, and the chemistry you have with you know who just makes these threads rock.

1 + 1 = 3

----------------

PhD ain't really slam and dunk yet but getting close to...

1 + 1 = 3.2125325 to be more precise (from the results of my distinct elements numerical modelling).

I wish I would have turned left or right at these crucial moments you refered earlier. Sadly I kind of went straigth ahead in each of these moments.

----------------

On 9/6/2003 12:04:42 PM mobile homeless wrote:

I would rather have my EYELIDS glued together than witness a tepid Journey ballad!

----------------

I was just enjoying a cup of coffee while watching a rerun of "Animal House" ... Kelly's line here connects very well with Belushi's response to the guitar-toting kid on the staircase singing,

"I gave my love a cherry ...."

----------------

On 9/7/2003 8:09:39 AM Randy Bey wrote:

Hey, wait a minute. The first (and only, IMHO) Jefferson Starship album, "Blows against the Empire" was probably the best darn album ever made, bar none.

----------------

What?

Christ, everybody knows the best album ever is Pomp and Pipes!

I've look for a shirt of the marvelous album but could never find one. I had to settle for Never Mind the Bollock.