Tuner poll for vintage

Audio Flynn

----------------

On 10/31/2003 12:58:09 AM Audio Flynn wrote:

Digital need not apply.

What tube or analog tuners are people using?

*H H Scott 350(A)

Why was it selected?

*Bought it locally with a Scott 222-C

Any mods to the tuner?

*Restored/aligned by Ryan Inman

Specialized antenna used?

*No. Finally decided I need an antenna because of surrounding mountains.

Me

Denon digital with Terk indoor antenna; soon to go analog.

----------------

Keith

A Kenwood KT-6007, all stock, no mods. Nothing special about this unit really, other than it sounds great for the money, and came to me fairly cheaply. I have it connected to a Magnum Dynalab outdoor whip antenna. Pulls in stations really well, though adjacent channel rejection is a slight problem.

Prior to that, I had a Yamaha T-85 that I found at a pawn shop for $50. Kept it for a couple years, then sold it recently on Ebay for $310, deciding that I didn't listen to FM that much, and could use the extra cash for other equipment. The T-85 was a great unit, but the Kenwood sounds fine to my years, and I'm $260 ahead!

64_1.JPG

Tuners used to be one of my favorite things to change around. They were cheap and plentiful. The last 2-3 years has seen vintage prices skyrocket on eBay with the more "popular" tuners value increasing by anywhere from 50%-500%. After trying out many different tuners (Mac 74 & 78, MD 101, various Yamaha's and Pioneer's), these are what I have in use.

Accuphase T-101 - slightly modded, aligned and checked out by Mas at Accutech - This is the best tuner I've tried. Great reception and sound, built like a tank.

8502&f=Accuphase_T-101.jpg

Sony 5000FW - I have 2 of them. Both have been aligned and serviced by Mas. - A real sleeper. This unit was built with "spare no cost" from the bottom up. Once again, great reception and sound. Also built like a tank.

Sansui TU-717 - A real popular tuner that supposedly can be modded to "Super Tuner" status. Mine is stock and untouched by a tech yet. Sound and recption are very good, but the above units do have slightly better sound.

As far as antennas are concerned, since I live in a gated community with a very active CC&R police force, outside antennas can't happen very easily. What has worked extremely well is a $9.99 set of rabbit ears from Home Depot. I've tried various signal boosters, a MD Signal Slueth and even bought a $250 APS whip that I would put up and take down after listening. Nothing worked any better the the rabbit ears.

Try going to the Tuner Information Center for further info.

http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/index.html

Chris

Scott 355 pre-amp w/tuner

Vintage Scott tuners seem to be a classic product

cool looks

no mods

I need an antanna but I don't listen to FM radio in the house. I have it tuned to AM for sports and news...don't really use the tuner.

I also have an AVR for the rest of the family...my son listens to the radio on it.

post-10144-1381924994271_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 10/31/2003 9:30:27 AM mdeneen wrote:

...I would suggest you carefully consider your LOCATION above all else. If you are in an easy reception area, even a two gang front end will be fine. If not, you really want a tuner with 4-gang front end and at least 4 IF stages. For great value, look for Kenwood KT-7500, 7300, KT-8005, Pioneer TX-9500, Sansui TU-919 etc,.

mdeneen

----------------

mdeneen has some great advice here, especially about your location. BUT, scratch the Sansui TU-919 off the "great value" list unless you find somebody that isn't aware of the current market. They are now going for over $1,000 on eBay. Check out the following link for a discussion about 919 prices.

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/vintage/messages/56106.html

Chris

Not really vintage, but I have a Magnum Dynalab Etude. It has excellent sensitivity and switches for dealing with multi-path and Mono/Stereo, and a nice digital display for the frequency. I just use a generic RadioShack T-type FM antenna. I really love it since I'm able to "detune" it to get the best signals. I definately wouldn't give it up since I really like it!

-Dave

I'm currently using Kenwood KT-600T. It is very good sounding with excellent reception.

I've owned a Marantz 10B which was also very good but way to overpriced for its performance (great reception, smooth analog sound but lacked bass definition). I sold it and kept the Scott 4310 which my father listens to now, and is much better to our ears. They were used with an AudioPrism 7500 antenna.

I also own a Sansui TU-919.

Right now, just a 25 yr old GE clock radio tuned to the teenybopper station to get me out of bed in the AM. I've got a bone stock Scott 310-D sitting around. I've been listening to a lot of NPR and Canadian radio in the truck lately, and am considering having the 310-D restored. Anybody got an MPX unit sitting around for it? It'd be a 335.

For some reason I let my boss sell a 333-B(IIRC) for $150.8.gif