This superbowl *** incident....

maxg

Was it really that shocking? I mean really? It seems to still be headline news on CNN. What is going on?

There are roughly as many breasts in the world as there are people - how shocking can they be? I would have thought that the if you want to object to anything then the lewd show would be a starting point - the breast is incidental.

Every day I understand a little less about the good ole US of A - sorry guys - I am baffled.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I object to the entire show, of which the 'leet teet was merely a fitting (and obviously planned - I mean, the girl looks down, then strikes a pose!) culmination.

But I don't think this discussion belongs here, in the 2 Channel section.

I think it is more a "straw that broke the camels back" kinda thing. Many people are sick of the decline of western civilization, as evidenced by all this "art". I was sickened by the entire half-time show, 100% crotch grabbing, foul language, no talent crap. to top it off (pun intended) **** at the end! well since the super bowl has always been a family event (how many kids were watching?) naturally there was a reaction from the public. Too much ado about nothing? yes when looking at the one event, but I hope it will be looked at as the turning point for no talent, tasteless garbage masquerading as art. Let´s take back art! Tony

Max, it is quite shocking for Americans to see a bared breast. Must be the Puritan streak that is so firmly rooted in our moral upbringing, but we really do have an unhealthy obsession with female chests.

Fifteen years ago, our sub pulled into Toulon for a week of liberty over the long Bastille Day festivities. Everyone enjoyed seeing the French, Swedish, and German breasts in plain view at the topless and bare beaches. Unfortunately, boorish crewmates managed to make exposed breasts into something obscene, ogling them, staring rudely, and shooting roll after roll of film. It became so obvious that anytime the bad Americans were around, blouses or sweattops were rapidly put on when cameras came out. The cameras came out often.

Because I acted like I was Canadian, I got to participate in one of the most enjoyable beach volleyball games ever3.gif

As my diehard archconservative Army bud put it, "Only in America can more people take offense at their President fooling around with a knowing intern and lying, then a different President invading a country and lying about justification."15.gif

----------------

On 2/5/2004 10:17:39 AM maxg wrote:

Was it really that shocking? I mean really? It seems to still be headline news on CNN. What is going on?

There are roughly as many breasts in the world as there are people - how shocking can they be? I would have thought that the if you want to object to anything then the lewd show would be a starting point - the breast is incidental.

Every day I understand a little less about the good ole US of A - sorry guys - I am baffled.
----------------

Max,

Thanks for the post. You have gotten some good responses so far.

I am a little baffled, though at your observation that there are "roughly as many breasts in the world as there are people."

This may reveal my own "American" fascination with breasts. But I think it would be more accurate to estimate that there are "roughly twice" as many breasts in the world as there are people.2.gif

If you count male breasts...yep. Whatever gets you going, Dee.

I agree wholeheartedly with Max here. I just wish we didnt have to see a 3,667 post thread with the Klipsch Forum take on the matter. The entire sorry incident has already been beaten to death by the media who lost the fact that it was an EXCELLENT game.

Who takes the Super Bowl entertainment seriously anyway? Has it ever been anything but overproduced, larger than life, pap? Janet Jackson's BREAST was the LEAST of its problems.

The game was great and almost made up for all that is Super Bowl.

kh

ps - I think we are slowly seeing a bit of a backlash to this fundamentalist shift. I see Mediocrity still reigning supreme however. But the fundamentalist take PLUS mediocrity is a mixture hard to live down.

I'm sure the half time show will make a great recruiting film for potential terrorists.

I'm with Tony on this one 100%.

We have freedom to do right, not freedom to do wrong.

When you're on public display in front of the whole freaking world -- you put your best foot forward -- not your best breast.9.gif

"We have freedom to do right, not freedom to do wrong. "

Wow. IF this statement doesnt accidentally summarize the current plight of the USA, I dont know what does. Actually, I can think of others but this is a lovely start. It points to much of our problem with its bold proclamation, seemingly innocent and well meaning, but frighteningly myopic, something the USA has been battling more and more, as seen by many of the decisions on an international level.

kh

Kelly, "free" speech doesn't give us the "right" to slander or assault someone, right? "Freedom" also doesn't give us the "right" to steal or murder. Do we give blind people the "right" to drive a car. I think you are talking about something different than I am.

Talking about boner pills isn't the same as waving boners.

There wasn't anything "arousing" about the breast flash -- it was just tacky.

Forget the flash of Jackson´s breast, I had a bigger problem with my 5 year old daughter asking why "nelly G", "lil´butt" or "big puff fishy" or WHOEVER that was (not up on current rap names ya know) "daddy why is that guy is holding his wee-wee?" I was tempted to use inappropriate language but instead I told her "well dear, he was raised without any manners"...

I will share with you all one of my greatest fears, that she will come home one day (in ten years or so) with some young man that looks and acts the same way...

our youth is decending quickly into a cultural no-man´s-land from which, I fear, there is no escape.

my one "rap" album, "it takes a nation of millions" just got chucked into a drawer...

regards,

tony

Two quick points. One has to be careful with these "moral stands" as this can get very sketchy and gray. OF course, Dean brought up VERY overt examples such as murder, rape etc to make the statement seem nothing but positive. I thought this arguing to the extreme a bit and no one would disagree here. On the other hand, that statement on its own is a dangerous one as someone's idea of "Wrong" can be wholly different, especially in the hands of the religious right, where the agenda crosses the line. Not say that Dean aligns here' I know he does not. But this is a gray area.

My point was that this statement can be really abused and can be a dangerous platitude in the wrong hands.

I surely did not like the half-time show on almost ALL accounts. But I thought the showing of breast was the least of the problems. Interesting enough, not many people have brought up what I see to be an even WORSE example, actually FAR WORSE. The little skit depicted a man leaning over and RIPPING THE CLOTHES of a woman, in this case her top to her surprise. In my view, I found this really troubling that we are focusing on ye olde Puritan "Exposure" vs the actual action of tearing one's top off.

Still, I saw the whole show more as poor taste and an overall sorry spectacle, with or without the last incident. Strange, I didn't even notice the crotch grabbing that much... It's funny have you become desensitized to this. But the grabbing and tearing of the clothing seemed more troublesome.

In other irony, I played in several bands that took taste and turned it upside down, albeit years ago. I have thrown my drums into the crowd, broken instruments, pushed our guitar player off a stage, had a band member remove his pants, wrapping the mike cord around his crotch over and over ala Iggy, then pulling his briefs over his shoulder blades for a site that made ME (from behind) almost lose my lunch, dinner, and breakfast (in that order). AT the time, this seemed slightly humorous. It surely didn't seem like the same as what I saw Super Bowl eve. Then again, it's relative I guess. IT surely wasn't A 100% COMMERCIAL MOVE...

kh

So I don't get cast into the unquenchable fires from which there is no return, let me throw a qualifier in the conversation. In America, it doesn't really matter whether the showing of a breast is innocent or brazen; they both are verbotten.

A nursing mother got arrested yesterday in St. Louis for indecent exposure - she tried to nurse a newborn on a bus(the horror, when the tyke is hungry he is hungry!)Salacious exposure, such as Janet's, is both repugnant and unneeded. She chose to make a spectacle of herself. Only in America would it make her the hottest name in internet searches, supplanting Paris Hilton's sexual escapade as the most sought site.

Our morals always have been in the gutter, only now they are exposed to such an audience that spans 30,000 miles in minutes. Congratulations, NFL Enterprises, you managed to make all of America look like dry humpin' hoosiers before an international stage.14.gif

"A nursing mother got arrested yesterday in St. Louis for indecent exposure - she tried to nurse a newborn on a bus(the horror, when the tyke is hungry he is hungry!)"

I'd be more than happy to look the other way out of respect, so the kid can get his lunch, than listen to some baby SCREAMING on a BUS in agony from being hungry.

----------------

On 2/5/2004 10:28:37 AM sunnysal wrote:

I think it is more a "straw that broke the camels back" kinda thing. Many people are sick of the decline of western civilization, as evidenced by all this "art". I was sickened by the entire half-time show, 100% crotch grabbing, foul language, no talent crap. to top it off (pun intended) **** at the end! well since the super bowl has always been a family event (how many kids were watching?) naturally there was a reaction from the public. Too much ado about nothing? yes when looking at the one event, but I hope it will be looked at as the turning point for no talent, tasteless garbage masquerading as art. Let´s take back art! Tony

----------------

The thing is that I agree with the above 100%. I ended up muting the half-time show and using the picture-in-picture capablity of my TV and flip to the Music Choice channels off my satellite reciever. That was probably the worst half-time show that I can remember. It just plained sucked - no if's, and's, or but's about it! Boobs or not.

I agree - lets take back art!

Of course, it will be interesting to see what happens next year for the Super Bowl.

Once again the gang that can't figure out whats the big deal wants to make it a big deal.LET IT GO, the story is dead,The USA is not to blame for what a few idiots do.I don't recall seeing GWB dancing at the game but it still must be his/our fault?What the hell does politics have to do with the super bowl or dancin'?I am amazed that everthing that happens has political overtones to SOME people.The BEST thing about freedom is being able to believe/live the way you/I see fit,not the way a few crackpots would have us live.You liked it,fine,you hated it,fine,I for one could care less.I am much more offended by the blame the USA crowd for all the ills of the world.Yes you have the right to hate,loath,look down on or whatever,just find a political forum instead of an audio forum,geeeez.

----------------

On 2/5/2004 5:09:05 PM Fish wrote:

Once again the gang that can't figure out whats the big deal wants to make it a big deal.LET IT GO, the story is dead,The USA is not to blame for what a few idiots do.I don't recall seeing GWB dancing at the game but it still must be his/our fault?What the hell does politics have to do with the super bowl or dancin'?I am amazed that everthing that happens has political overtones to SOME people.The BEST thing about freedom is being able to believe/live the way you/I see fit,not the way a few crackpots would have us live.You liked it,fine,you hated it,fine,I for one could care less.I am much more offended by the blame the USA crowd for all the ills of the world.Yes you have the right to hate,loath,look down on or whatever,just find a political forum instead of an audio forum,geeeez.

----------------

Fish,

I think you took my comments out of context. The politics I was refering to were the ones involving the FCC making the big deal not the performers. I agree with your view just the same.

Tom