Lascala or Cornwall original ???

tcb

I've owned a pair of '82 La Scala's for 2 months. I was so impressed with them that I sold my other two pairs of speakers within two weeks (GR Research Paradox 3's and Magnepan MG12's). Conflicting opinions on this board regarding your very same dilemna had me curious, so I also searched out and purchased a really fine pair of '72 vertical Cornwalls. I've only had them for a week but in my mind there is no contest. La Scala's win this one big time for me. The sound is huge, open, smooth. The CW's sound smaller, brighter, have a definite sharp edge that I find a bit irritating. There was some magic dust sprinkled in the La Scala's that was left out of my CW's 15.gif

I'm still playing with the CW's (squawker damping, placement, amps), so maybe my opinion will change a bit in time. Doubt it, though 11.gif

I am waiting on 2004 La Scalas so you know my answer!

Xman

2 channel

Luxman C300 Preamp

2 Monarchy Audio SM 70 Pros

NAD C540 CD player

KLF 20's

2004 La Scalas in March

HT system

Denon 4800 AVR

2 Monarchy Audio SM 70 Pros

Denon 2900 DVD player

KLF 20's

C7 center

SB3's

KSW 12 sub

34 Sony wega

2004 La Scalas in March

I would say La Scala's hands down. I've owned mine for 20 years. I demo'd Cornwalls when I bought them and IMHO there was no choice, I believe the La Scala's are more versatile. I listen to a variety of music from jazz to classical to rock and even an occasional C&W and IMO the La Scalas were better suited for people a diverse taste in music. If you listen to mostly rock maybe the Cornwalls would suit you. I love the fully horn loaded sound as a preference to the BASS reflex option. However, if possible demo them both its your ears that have to tell you what to go with. Most opinions here are going to be biased one way or the other based on individual preferences, but demo them both if you can, then buy and then most of all ENJOY!!!!!!