What to replace La Scalas with?

mgcsah

I have never been disappointed by my LSs purchased in 1985 but my wife doesn't like them and they really are to big for our living room so have been considering replacing them with some RF7s.

Is this a stupid thing to do? I won't be satisfied with anything less than the sound that comes out of them now and will mourn the loss forever if I do this and am not happy.

Welcome to the Forum

If you love and are use to listing to the 3 way classic horn sound of the LAS, I doubt you will be happy with the RF-7.

I would look for a nice used pair of Forte's if you want a small footprint speaker with a full range Heritage sound.

JM

I would keep the La Scala's. The RF-7's are a good sounding efficient speaker but I believe the La Scala's have a fuller more natural sound. I've owned mine about as long as you've had yours. I know the WAF factor on these things is not very good. That having been said I would like to quote Mr. Charleton Heston - "From my cold dead hands" will anyone take my La Scala's. It took some work but I finally got the wife to accept and enjoy them. I actually was tempted, as you are at the moment, to replace them with RF-7s, but after demoing the RF-7s and then coming home to listen to my La Scalas I knew I could not replace that sound. Obviously its your choice but if you want an opinion and mine is likely to replicate what most will offer you, keep the La Scalas.

Yea. I have never heard anything I like better. Have heard RF7s, B&W, etc of that class and afraid I will be disappointed. Even higher end speakers seem to lack something.

Thanks for helping confirm my position, but how did you get over the WAF?

mgcsah,

Welcome!

Talk the wife into compromising on a pair of Klipschorns. Although they are large, they occupy only the corners. Out of the way and can be platforms for display on top. NO PLANTS! There is also no harm placing smaller objects on the floor directly in front of them as long as the sides toward the walls are open for the bass wave. Plus they sound better than the Lascalas.

That way you both can come out winners!3.gif9.gif

Rick

I'd move up to the Khorns but they just would not work in the room and we are not moving any time soon! I showed her the pic of the LSs that come up from the floor but she was not impressed. What to do, what to do...

Maybe I should some of those "pretty" tower speakers they have at BestBuy and make her listen to those for a few days. My luck though she'll like those better regardless of how they sound. If I hook 'em up out of phase though, hmm...

You might talk her into some Belles the sound almost identical. They're much better looking and she may go for that. Or refinish your Las to her liking. Good looking speakers may just be what will change her mind. Or for a last ditch effort you could just divorse her. In the long run that would probsably be your easiest out. Just kidding on the last two sentences. Keep smiling.

hoggy

To stay on the wife`s good side nothing says i love you like Diamonds; some flowers will help and of course a new wardrobe..then you can tell her we cant afford new speakers. Now i have to figure out how i am going to Pay for more Klipsch and get her Diamonds for our 25th anniversary next January. Bill

I'll second the idea for Forte's they have that traditional Klipsch sound and have very smooth bass response and are the size of a taller Heresy. I owned a pair for 12 years and only parted with them a few years ago to trade up to Belle's. When I moved to Khorns they quite honestly took up less floor space than the Belle's since you push them into the corners.

I agree that the Khorns take up less floor space than the Belles if at a 45 degree in the corner (about 2"). If the Belles are parallel to the wall they stick out the least. The Belles however are not as deep as the LaS but are wider. You'll have to figure out which is acceptable to her. Not sure if on the Klipsch site it list the demensions of the Khorn, Belle or LaS but I have posted elseware on this forum spec sheets on the 3 which shows them. Just don't remember where. Perhaps a search will help.

hoggy

yep find a way to keep them...belles would be nice, but yes they are even wider then LS..one reason why I wanted and got Ls's myself...I would love to get khorns oneday, but that would require a false corner and a 180 degree reshuffle of furniture...

maybe try the full cover on the front..that's what I have on mine and they look great!

How do those grills attach on the front? I have seen pictures and they look nice that way. Perhaps you could post a pic of your so the wife could see what they would look like.

Marvel

On 3/5/2004 12:34:27 AM mgcsah wrote:

...... What to do, what to do...

Maybe I should some of those "pretty" tower speakers they have at BestBuy and make her listen to those for a few days. My luck though she'll like those better regardless of how they sound. If I hook 'em up out of phase though, hmm...

mgcsah:

Ultimately, let you own ears be the judge. I sold my Cornwalls after 20+ years of enjoyment and listened extensively to the RF7 and RF5's in several environments, most importantly including my own room BEFORE I sold the Cornwalls. I ended up with the RF5's due to cabinet size and cost but really felt the difference to MY EARS between the two choices revealed the RF5 to be smoother sounding.

The LaScalas are a GREAT sounding speaker and it would be great to keep them. But, if the WAF cannot be changed, do find a dealer that will let you audition some RF7's (or RF5s) in your home for a reasonable amount of time. You may find yourself pleasantly surprised at the Reference series - at least you will confirm what they will sound like in your home and can compare them with the LaScalas - they will be different - whether you accept the difference as better or worse or similar will only be decided by your ears. Good luck2.gif

MarkBK

----------------

On 3/5/2004 2:43:21 PM Marvel wrote:

How do those grills attach on the front? I have seen pictures and they look nice that way. Perhaps you could post a pic of your so the wife could see what they would look like.

Marvel

----------------

send me and email.. spdntrxi@pacbell.net not sure how to post on this forum. The grill is factory..so I'm not exactly sure how it's fastened..have to take a closer look when I get home. I do know its not easily removed..like normal grills.

If I had to give up my Klipschorns tomorrow, and go back to the RF-7s -- I would be completely fine. I love what I'm hearing right now, but I also miss what I gave up. I was over at my son's a couple of weeks ago, listening to the RF-7s I sold him, hooked up the Quicksilver M-60 monoblocks and AE-3 -- and it was awesome. I still say you Heritage bigots have a screw loose.2.gif

My Lascalas had the grill on the mid/tweet section. It was simply a 1/4 round molding fastened around the edge with the round part to the outside and the straight edge to the inside. The grill was a piece of masonite with the cloth glued to it and velcro on the back side to hold it in place. The same technique could be used for a full sized grill. A small strip of wood on the inside of the opening of the lower part could be installed for an attachment spot for the velcro. Even better would be a few small blocks, probably two in each side and one on each side of the dog house at the bottom for attachment spots for the velcro. It wouldn't be pretty with the grill off but it sounds like you wouldn't have permission to remove it very often anyway.13.gif