New toys in the house

Guy Landau

I really like the 45 tubes.

I've started listening to the amp with a pair of KR 2A3. The sound was very Hi-Fi like with great extention, very tight base but it lacked that midrange magic. The midrange sounded real small and lacked air. Overall, the amp sounded much cleaner and faster than my previous Air Tight ATM-300 (which was very good but too colored) but was too analytical and dry, to my taste. I am amazed by how quiet this amplifier is.

Next came a pair of globe, 45's. The mids became much more pronounced and the highs were crystal clear. The base wasn't as tight but is still very good. I do prefer the 45 over the KR 2A3 since it is much more musical and it sounds more even, but plan to audition other 2A3's as well. It is hard to believe how 2.5 watts can sound so real and powerful.

Very nice looking amps Guy! What kind of 45 tubes are you using?

To everyone that wants a pair of these and $5K is a little too steep. Try a pair of Welborne Labs DRD45s for around $1500. I have had my 45 amps for about 4 months now and am really enjoying them.

I now see why the 45 tube is highly revered in the audiophile world!

To all of those waiting for a pair of Moondogs to come up on Audiogon. I have not used my Moondogs since building the DRD45s. Just skip the upgrade path!

----------------

On 3/11/2004 7:28:22 AM DeanG wrote:

$5000 for a handful of parts, and four tubes. I can hardly contain myself.

You've got to be kidding.
----------------

Its the romance there is millions to be made with romance ! I am in no way implying that these amps do or do not deliver the goods sonically but surely they are no value !

Craig