Klipschorn center channel mod finished

Q-Man

A little better picture of the center. I should paint the tweeter

lens with the black lacquer. It now looks dull compared to the rest of the stuff. My black lacquer speaker theme does work on making the parts less obvious or intrusive, but if I ever build new cabinets I think I'll do a natural cherry wood with the black horns.

post-2405-13819253776002_thumb.jpg

I made up my mind, I'm going to buy an AV/processor with bass management and retire the Outlaw ICBM bass manager and the 3000. I'll send the 3000 off to be repaired after I get the new processor. I'm having a hard time picking out what processor to get. I may run the front effect speakers with the second zone output on the processor. I will need to find a reverb or something to put between the zone 2 output and the power amp. When I get the processor I want to turn the front effect LaScalas so they face the corners. I'm curious if this will give them more or enought dispersion and delay. I may not have to do anything more then that to get the effect that I'm after. Wishfull thinking! Everytime I think that I'm done some other hair brain idea pops into my head.

Q-MAN,

Thanks for posting the new pics, I never saw a clear picture of your false cornered K-Horns clearly before, very nice I like the look of the JBL 2404 tweeters mounted below the mid horns. I've said it before and I'll say it again your work is exceptional, your whole rig looks great. I just showed it to my wife and her comment was you should do customized rigs for people.

Yamaha doesn't really feed a true full range signal to the center channel. There is a difference between small and large, but full range doesn't have the impact like the mains. I have the RX-V3000 and a retired RX-V2092. My kids have the RX-V620. We tried them all and they all are limited in producing full range like the main channels.

I went to demo the Anthem AVM 20 A/V processor today and the dealer told me that most receivers don't really treat the center the same as the mains even though they call it full range. Here I kept building a better speaker for the center to adchive an equal match with the mains and a LaScala would have worked fine after all. Well not really since I want to crossover at 40HZ, but you get the idea.

Hook up your center channel to one of your main speakers and set your receiver to 5,6,7,or 8 channel stereo and you will see what I mean. On our receivers 5 and 8 channel stereo sends a full range signal to all channels.

I asked the dealer if the Anthem has a true full range center channel and he said that it did. I told him to make sure, because if I buy one and find out that it doesn't that I'm bringing it back and I won't pay the 15% restocking fee.

No wonder everyone says they like the small setting better. I feel like I've been ripped off.

My NAD T163 A/V Preamp as far as I know sends a full range signal to the center channel. I realize that the La Scala lacks the bass response of the Khorn but it blends well. I have a La Scala center with an additional '86 Pro La Scala Top Section flanked by 15" subwoofers on either side, and Khorns in the corners. The rear is comprised of '62 Vertical Cornwalls and '86 Cornwall II's. The thing I love about the NAD is provisions for two subwoofers and flexible bass management. I have all my speakers set to "Large" crossed over @ 60Hz. The center channel also receives more power then the rest of the system. The center has 400W available to it while the balance of the speakers have 125W.

I kept adding all these speakers after seeing your initial system years ago prior to the center Khorn and Horn & Tweeter upgrades. I also believe in using configurable 2-channel power amplifiers instead of a single 5 or 7 channel amps for better headroom.

To get a time delay affect for your "Front Effect" La Scala's out of the Anthem A/V preamp could be accomplished by "Y"ing out the front outputs, feeding one pair into a Pioneer SR-60 or SR-303 to adjust time delay then fed into the amplifier supplying power to the La Scala's. Just a thought.

What is the Pioneer SR-60 and SR-303? I can use ideas like that.

The Anthem dealer said that I wouldn't need to use a Y spliter. I can use the balanced outputs to the main channel amp and the RCA unbalanced outputs to some type of processor between the pre amp and the power amp for the front effects.

Q-Man

Thanks for the additional pix. Keep 'em coming - I like to show these to my friends at work when they are braggin' about the home theatre ina box that they just bought. They can't believe what you've done. I only wish there was some way to hear it in it's full glory....

Euell

QMan, the Pioneer SR-60 and SR-303 are time delay/reverberation units. However, the more I pondered the notion I think that the ADC DD-4AX would be a much better choice since it is a true time delay and not a "bucket brigade" reverb like the Pioneer units. The time delay on the DD-4AX is continuously adjustable from "0" to a full second delay. It also has other adjustments like "reflection rate" and other controls. In addition, it is a single rack space unit and has built in power of about 25 watts per channel so unless you wanted more power you would not even need an additional amplifier to run it. They can be had for around $50 on eBay.

Damn, now you gave me an idea to use one with my KG-1's as front effects speakers. I am off to find one on eBay.

It's actually 10 channels, but who's counting. The amp with 3 meters is a 6 channel amp. It powers 4 rear surrounds and 2 front effect channels. One 2 channel amp powers the mains and the other 2 channel amp powers the front and rear center.

I'll need to take a picture of the rear of the room.

• 19 years later...

I'm not sure if this will work, so please bare with me. 

I had trouble logging in so I found one of my old post to reply to. 

Life got busy with opening up a cabinet business and I didn't make too many changes to my system. I also haven't been in contact with the good friends and people on this Forum that helped me out with my modifications. I may mention names later.

I'm finally going to get into Dolby Atmos and purchased a different processor to do so. Also getting ready to buy some  different equipment. Next purchase will be the Magnetar UPD-800 Blu-ray player. 

I have been trying to purchase some Klipsch Cinema Surround speakers, but I'm having trouble finding a dealer.  I have to search a little harder.  I'm thinking of the KPT-12-VB, KPT-8-VB, Kpt-1200-VBM . I need 2 surrounds, and I might use them for 4 ceiling mounted Atmos speakers. Have to see what kind of frequency response is actually sent to the those Atmos channels.

With these changes I'm going to sell 2 pairs of LaScalas , 1 pair of Klipschorns. The Klipschorns are stock, they used to be my benchmark speaker that I used when modifying other speakers. I havent listened to them in years. The LaScalas are my front and rear height speakers which I can't use as surrounds and ceiling speakers. I'll probably list these in the Garage sale section one of these days before going to eBay. 

That's all I'm going to say for now. I want to see if this reply post. Then I'll try starting a new one. 

I have to search the members list to see if some of the old timers like me are still active here.

May have to change my old pass word, and email address. 

Q-Man

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Q-Man said:

I have been trying to purchase some Klipsch Cinema Surround speakers, but I'm having trouble finding a dealer

First, welcome back, I believe I have read this thread many moons ago.

As for the cinema speakers,  @Paducah Home Theater may know how to help.  Good luck with the search, looking forward to your post on this new adventure.  If your looking some old timers, try the @ before like @Q-Man and tag them. If they are around they'll see it. Unfortunately we have a long and growing list of fallen forum members over in the lounge.  Again, welcome back.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Q-Man said:

I have been trying to purchase some Klipsch Cinema Surround speakers, but I'm having trouble finding a dealer.  I have to search a little harder.  I'm thinking of the KPT-12-VB, KPT-8-VB, Kpt-1200-VBM . I need 2 surrounds, and I might use them for 4 ceiling mounted Atmos speakers. Have to see what kind of frequency response is actually sent to the those Atmos channels.

I was just looking at this centre channel post and losing my mind - what an epic build.

Paducah HT are great for all the pro/cinema stuff as mentioned by @The Dude - I personally LOVE the KPT-250 and the KPT8001 for home theatre installs. Pricey, but great for atmos (in my opinion). Unfortunately the VBT stuff hasn't come down here yet, but that seems like it's designed -really- for bigger rooms.

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

. Unfortunately we have a long and growing list of fallen forum members over in the lounge.

And blokes that are still alive and kicking...but not here.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Q-Man said:

I'm not sure if this will work, so please bare with me. 

I had trouble logging in so I found one of my old post to reply to. 

Life got busy with opening up a cabinet business and I didn't make too many changes to my system. I also haven't been in contact with the good friends and people on this Forum that helped me out with my modifications. I may mention names later.

I'm finally going to get into Dolby Atmos and purchased a different processor to do so. Also getting ready to buy some  different equipment. Next purchase will be the Magnetar UPD-800 Blu-ray player. 

With these changes I'm going to sell 2 pairs of LaScalas , 1 pair of Klipschorns. The Klipschorns are stock, they used to be my benchmark speaker that I used when modifying other speakers. I havent listened to them in years. The LaScalas are my front and rear height speakers which I can't use as surrounds and ceiling speakers. I'll probably list these in the Garage sale section one of these days before going to eBay. 

That's all I'm going to say for now. I want to see if this reply post. Then I'll try starting a new one. 

I have to search the members list to see if some of the old timers like me are still active here.

May have to change my old pass word, and email address. 

Q-Man

Welcome back @Q-Man

There are some who come around, old accounts. Meanwhile, enjoy! Nice quiet place anymore. New members coming in from all over, 24/7.

18 hours ago, Q-Man said:

Welcome back Q-Man.  I went Atmos 7.2.4 myself in the basement HT mancave.  My budget is pretty sensitive so I got a lot of bang-for-the-buck from used Klipsch Pro speakers,  2 KPT-110s for side surrounds, 2 KP-102s for back surrounds, and 4 KI-102s for ceiling Atmos.  I mounted the ceiling speakers to an "X" made of 2x4s bolted to the joists in 2 places along which they can slide for experimentation with placement angles.  Just getting it running this week.

New processor is a used Anthem AVM60 (my 2nd one- also have one in the living room) bought through a local dealer who gave a 1 year warranty.Gadget Television set Television Display device Electronic device

• Like 1