F$%KING Snipers!!

gullahisland

I was hoping to be the pround new owner of the '74 K-horns that were on Ebay. They are only a few miles from my house and exactly what I wanted. I thought that I was safe with my $2126 bid only to be sniped LITERALLY in the last 1 second of the auction by (appropriately) "McDeath".

After negotiations with my wife over the holiday weekend, we have decided that K-horns are the ultimate "final" destination on this audio roller-coaster. I like 'em. She likes 'em. And after additional measurments, my corners are actually appropriate for their use.

I don't want to deal with the risk, hassle and expense of shipping. I don't want some beat up POS K-horns that I'll have to refurbish.

So...Any of you fellow forum members (anywhere in California) wanna' part with your K's??

I know in a previous thread, I was looking for a pair of Belles or LaScalas, but as I said, after talking over with my wife and re-measuring the corners, K-horns are the ticket.

I'm willing to spend up to $2,000-2,250. I have a Suburban and will make the drive to pick them up. I'll give you a fist full of cash. ANY TAKERS??

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan,

Man, I am sorry to hear that, wish you had snagged 'em. Khorns fit perfectly in our 2003 Tahoe so I know they will fit in your Burban. Where were the Khorns from by the way, right in our backyard I guess? Do you know if Jim and Ed ever hooked up on Jim's Khorns? Do you still have Eds Belles? Could you work a deal with Jim for his Khorns? Just a thought.

Take care my friend and good luck!

Whats the old sayin'"one mans loss is another mans gain".Kind of a bummer but that is the way that game is played.And the other one"if at first you don't succeed,keep on succin' till you do succeed.

Sorry gullahisland but sniping is fair and quite frankly, the best way to buy on eBay. Why show your hand until the last second? I always wait and put in the maxium amout I am willing to pay. If I get the item, great. If not, I don't feel bad because it went for more than I was willing to pay. I bet that's what mcdeath1 did. Next time you can as well. Hey, I had to learn the hard way too. There will be more. Maybe even nicer! Good luck in your quest.

Hey Mcdeath...Unless you plan to contribute to this forum, why don't you go crawl back under your rock.

I know that I'm a poor-sport, but that's pretty bad form to jump in here just to stir up s%*t. I hope that they were grossly mis-represented with huge gouges, missing chunks of veneer and all drivers blown!6.gif

Okay. I guess I should just be happy for you. Congratulations.

Now, watch how my fellow forum bretheren come through with an even nicer pair with a KNOWN history!12.gif

Oh! Hey Jordan. If you wouldn't mind, please send me an email with your contact information. My computer crashed and burned last week and I lost EVERYTHING...Including your email address and phone number.

Yeah. The K's were in Stockton (Rough and Ready Island). Literally a 20 minute drive from my house.

Oh well.8.gif

Gullah, there are Khorns all over San Fransisco and Oakland area. Try running an ad in yyour favorite paper, and I bet you get four or five offers in a month. The is a pair of MWMs in the Frisco area for sale right now, over on Audiogon. Don't hang your head too much, and you will be rewarded with a set you can love and cherish before you know it for $500 to $700 less than this pair. Just be sure to wear flowers in your hair2.gif9.gif9.gif

Gullah,

As you know a snipe will never beat out an = or higher Ebay proxy bid already placed. You just didn't go high enough.

But, and this is just my opinion, you did just fine. I think those were a tad high. I've seen nicer pairs go for less (and more).

I know they were local. That's the worst part. Hang in there, you'll get 'em.

Gullah, the MWMs and another similar named are the serious, fall off the truck professional Khorns, with one small wrinkle. With these monsters you don't need a corner, because they are already built in. They are big, BIG, BBBIIIGGG speakers, and you can palpitate peoples' hearts in an open field at 100 yards with bass from your amp9.gif Thes are the speakers Smilin needs to complete his 7.1 home theatre6.gif6.gif6.gif

Dan,

What a bummer! I always snipe, too. It really is the way to go. If you bid early, it tells others that you're interested, and gets them more inclined to bid higher (their snipe bid) than they might otherwise. It's hard to hear, but if you would have paid more, you should have bid more.

That being said, you are on the top of my "lookout list" for bay area Khorns! Good luck!!

Thanks fini. You're a true gentleman.

It's true, I could have bid higher, but I guess there's a point where you're better to just wait for the next one. It could very easily have turned into a pissing match.

I really don't want to spend more than $2K, but would go up another $500 for the RIGHT pair.

It sure looks like you picked up a nice pair. Jordan's looked very nice too. HornEd recently got ANOTHER set. Dammit...I want a pair too!7.gif

I also got sniped in the last seconds on a pair of LaScalas about four months ago, didn't set well at first, but I blew it off. A couple of months ago a forum member offered me his, and I picked them up about 12 hours later, and got a hell of a better deal.

I predict you'll hit paydirt soon.

Hmmm, I'm not quite a "sniper", but here is how I handled my Academy transaction about a year ago... and I'm sure I made some folks as unhappy as you:

After losing out too many times (including one in which I actually won an Academy, but the guy backed out when he found out how much they were worth; he put it back up within a few days with a starting bid of 150% more than my winning bid), I called a guy with one up for auction, explained to him that I did not like the whole bidding process, but would be willing to pay $300 + shipping if he would end it early...

Now, I can say that he probably did not know that this speaker had commanded $400+ (one went for over $800 just recently, if memory serves); I offered what I was willing to pay, and he said it sounded like a fair price (which, compared to the roughly 50% of original retail other Klipsch speakers command, could be considered fair)...

I established a good dialogue with the seller, and paid him very promptly, and both he and I ended up happy with our transaction: the transaction took place sooner, neither he nor I had to deal with the tension of the final bidding process, and I finally was able to run a timbre-matched system.

Nowhere in this process was I dishonest; I admit that I had information that could have turned into a more financially lucrative auction for him, and some might fault me for withholding said information, but as long as both he and I felt that we made out well, I do not feel guilty.

So-called snipers are admittedly a pain, and I have attempted (but always failed) similar late-auction tactics; that is why, in this instance, I chose not to play the game... I like more certainty and control over my transactions, especially when they involve hundreds of dollars.

... I did not try to rub anyone's noses in it, I might add...