Wow! Ebony Belles on EBay

A beautiful set of ebony belles in Phoenix. This pair will skyrocket, but one is somewhat color faded.

Two other auctions of note - there is a bidder on the set of EV 15 wk woofers that owns a Brook 12a, (I believe the Brook with the Klipsch bass mod)...

and a EV Georgian bass bin in great shape in Fini's neck of the woods.

It does look like the fading is a tungsten blue from a flash, Hoggy, but three of the four Heritage I thought were faded in photos actually were faded. For this reason I tip my hat to Soundbug, and a few other good sellers on EBay who always attempt to take photos of veneered speakers outside in natural light. A good set of photos removes almost all question as to their condition...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=61378&item=3096470216&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

That isn't ebony, I've seen the Macasar ebony that Klipsch used from that time period, that doen't look like it.

The lacquer looks fogged on one of them.

They do look like Bolivian Rosewood. For a time, Brazilian Rosewood was not available for export. When asked directly, Klipsch called theirs 'Bovillian'.

http://www.righteouswoods.net/honduran_rosewood_pics.html

http://www.righteouswoods.net/Bolivian_Rosewood_pics.html

Mexican Rosewood (cocobolo)

http://www.righteouswoods.net/cocobolo_rosewood_pics.html

Compare with this:

http://www.getnet.net/~mattman/bellefront.jpg

Now for some REAL Macasar ebony:

http://www.righteouswoods.net/ebony_macassar_pics.html

Note how the un-dried blocks look pink? As they dry they turn yellow/grey/brown.

Ebony? Probably some species of Rosewood. The serial number/finish tags have been removed, for a reason?

We did a plane last year for one of the owner's of an NFL team and the wood work in it was Ebony ( one of the most beautiful i have seen ) I will have to see if i can find out what ebony it was but the Belle's dont look like the same kind of wood. I think there is a sample in the finish room i will check tonight at work. Bill

----------------

On 5/15/2004 7:54:28 AM djk wrote:

That isn't ebony, I've seen the Macasar ebony that Klipsch used from that time period, that doen't look like it.

The lacquer looks fogged on one of them.

They do look like Bolivian Rosewood. For a time, Brazilian Rosewood was not available for export. When asked directly, Klipsch called theirs 'Bovillian'.

Mexican Rosewood (cocobolo)

Compare with this:

Now for some REAL Macasar ebony:

Note how the un-dried blocks look pink? As they dry they turn yellow/grey/brown.

Ebony? Probably some species of Rosewood. The serial number/finish tags have been removed, for a reason?
----------------

djk - Are you sure about your comment regarding the use of "Bolivian" rosewood during that time period? I've heard others say that when the Brazilian rosewood was becoming more scarce that Klipsch used Honduran rosewood and began to designate the model numbers with a BR for Brazilian rosewood and R for the regualr (Honduran) rosewood.

Does anyone know the definitive answer?

I agree that the grain PATTERN looks similar to rosewood, but the pair of rosewood K's that I just bought look NOTHING like that in terms of COLOR.

"djk - Are you sure about your comment regarding the use of "Bolivian" rosewood during that time period?"

I had two different Klipsch reps during that period, John Fricks and Bob Bailey. Pretty sure it was Fricks, I can hear his drawl in my head.

We kept a pair of Heresy in Rosewood lacquer on the floor. Our pair had a very open grain with a lot of blond sap wood, very pretty. More orange than red would be my term for the color. These were not a Brazilian species.

We had Sonab and some B&0, as well as the Klipsch samples, to show for the Brazilian species.

I had one customer take a trip to Hope and they let him pick out his fronts for his Klipschorn/Belle set. He picked the wildest grain I have ever seen in Rosewood. The reds were deep, oxblood red, the streaks jet black.

Alas, I had no personal funds for exotic woods. My purchases ran to 'D' style and raw or black.

Last year some time a gentleman posted pics of his Ebony Forte's that were signed by PWK and you guys are right the grain was much different than the finish that is on these Belle's. While they are really pretty it would be nice to know the actual finish on them. Shame the labels are both gone on these.

I emailed the guy again, pointed to the pics of Gregs Rosewood Khorns, etc., he has now emailed me back mentioning that he has discovered a "BR" stamped in the back with the serial number. Not real hard to figure out what that means, and it's not Ebony. So, I'm convinced that what we have here is a set of Rosewood Belle's. Cool. Now all I need is money.

Well i got some pictures of the samples of the Ebony veneer but they wont up load. Anybody got any ideas why? It is going to be interesting to see how much these go for. They are too far away for me to go and pick them up but i would love to have them. Bill

Jazzman,

I don't think they are Walnut. The grain does look like rosewood to me.

They are not stained red like you usually see with Rosewood, but the grain is much more like Rosewood than Walnut. I think if you stained rosewood with a brown stain, you might end up with this.

----------------

On 5/16/2004 3:50:49 PM Tom Mobley wrote:

I emailed the guy again, pointed to the pics of Gregs Rosewood Khorns, etc., he has now emailed me back mentioning that he has discovered a "BR" stamped in the back with the serial number. Not real hard to figure out what that means, and it's not Ebony. So, I'm convinced that what we have here is a set of Rosewood Belle's. Cool. Now all I need is money.
----------------

Tom,

Good luck with these. They look really nice.