For Atkins dieters and/or gun owners..

My sister-in-law sent me this in an e-mail:

1. More than 98 percent of convicted felons are bread users.

2. Fully HALF of all children who grow up in bread-consuming

households score below average on standardized tests.

3. In the 18th century, when virtually all bread was baked in the

home, the average life expectancy was less than 50 years; infant mortality

rates were unacceptably high; many women died in childbirth; and diseases

such as typhoid, yellow fever, and influenza ravaged whole nations.

4. More than 90 percent of violent crimes are committed within 24

hours of eating bread.

5. Bread is made from a substance called "dough." It has been proven

that as little as one pound of dough can be used to suffocate a mouse. The

average American eats more bread than that in one month!

6. Primitive tribal societies that have no bread exhibit a low

incidence of cancer, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's disease, and osteoporosis.

7. Bread has been proven to be addictive. Subjects deprived of bread

and given only water to eat begged for bread after as little as two days.

8. Bread is often a "gateway" food item, leading the user to

"harder" items such as butter, jelly, peanut butter, and even cold cuts.

9. Bread has been proven to absorb water. Since the human body is

more than 90 percent water, it follows that eating bread could lead to your

body being taken over by this absorptive food product, turning you into a

soggy, gooey bread-pudding person.

10. Newborn babies can choke on bread.

11. Bread is baked at temperatures as high as 400 degrees Fahrenheit!

That kind of heat can kill an adult in less than one minute.

12. Most American bread eaters are utterly unable to distinguish between

significant scientific fact and meaningless statistical babbling.

In light of these frightening statistics, we propose the following bread

restrictions:

1. No sale of bread to minors.

2. A nationwide "Just Say No To Toast" campaign, with complete

celebrity TV spots and bumper stickers.

3. A 300 percent federal tax on all bread to pay for all the

societal ills we might associate with bread.

4. No animal or human images, nor any primary colors (which may

appeal to children) may be used to promote bread usage.

5. The establishment of "Bread-free" zones around schools.

That was great.

My doctors actually tried taking me off all my medications in place of the Atkins diet. It worked for about 6months and then I had to be put back on. The medicine I took made me gain about 40lbs which stunk because i had lost a good bit while on it. Just FWIW hhaa.

After looking at a lot of pics of us older Klipsch people on here in our late 30's early 40's, I decided to go on Atkins. ( My 9th day actually) I find it easy to do, just a few changes. To be honest, I do not miss the bread thing too much. (Chips n salsa and Pizza later, if I break the rules for one meal every once in a while will be required later though..lol)

It is about time, I did not want my waist and my middle secion get to where they are the same in inches. And to be a "Southern Bubba" with a 36- 38 waist but a belly hanging over IMO is even worse!! LOL.

I did this 5 years ago with fantatic results... If anyone wants to try it ask me any questions you may have on Atkins I can probably answer them. I have read the book like 7-10 times... I can dispel most of the myths... If you follow the book, it will work. When is the last time someone said, Buy this paperback for 5.99 at your grocery store or drug store, follow it, and get fantastic results??

By June 12th, I should be on my way to a new me..LOL.

BBB More like blow up Wonder and other breads..

Last Feb., I wrote Cracker Barrel, and asked them to come up with a Low Carb solution for us low carb dieters saying we can eat a lot of what you have to offer, but can't under the diets conditions have some of the other things on your menue we used to eat too. Simply sending it back or letting it go to waste.

Even in my wildest dreams....

Sasuage gravey with biscuits and hash browns... is not a good diet for those seeking low carbs..LOL.

I got a nice letter saying after long consideration they will have low carb food options on the menu soon. A win for the little guy even if I had nothing to do with it. Maybe I wasn't the only one that felt this way?

Bacon, eggs, sausage, steak, mmm, great breakfast food on or off the Atkins diet!!!

So, it is your fault! Last night I ate at a Cracker Barrel and they really messed up our order. Even charged us for some stuff we did not order and took a very long time to straighten up the bill. Said it was because the menu had just been changed to offer "low carb" stuff and they were having a lot of trouble getting it figured out.

Bob

The first of March i was 255 lbs the little woman put me on a low fat no fat diet. Yesterday 5-20-2004 i was down to 224. When i see someone that i havent seen in awhile they are asking what i have been doing to loose the weight. It is basically Weight Watchers. The wife has been going for years like she needs too she is at 105 lbs

Wow congrats... Most diets...except for slim fast... (I have yet to meet anyone who lost on that one..LOL) Do work, ... if you work them. I just find Atkins easy. We just had a baby born in the house, so it is easier to lose it now, so I will be able to chase the little one around later!!

LOW FAT = DANGER!!!

If you don't eat enough fat you will have problems loosing weight, and you will have gall bladder problems.

FAT CALORIES = PROTEIN CALORIES

Optimum balance. Notice that it is in calories, not grams. You want it in grams it is 4gm fat = 9gm protein.

PIG OUT!!!

One meal a week. If you don't you will have gall bladder problems. Pizza? Go for it!

EAT AS IF YOU ARE AT YOUR OPTIMUM WEIGHT

If you don't, your gall bladder will act up (yeah, I'm gettting tired of typing gall bladder too).

Obviously this takes a while to loose any real weight, you might only loose 3/4lb a week.

But it is safe, and you won't get sick (ibid: gall bladder).

GET INTO THE ZONE

Barry Sears, any of his 'Zone' books will do. Figure out your optimum weight for your height and frame size. Determine your activity level. Eat for this weight.

Eat exactly enough protein to maintain your muscle mass. If you eat less than this amount your body will eat itself up to get what it needs. Fat calories must equal protein calories (I am not going to say gall bladder).

ATKINS WAS WRONG

About how to use Ketostix. They change color when your body is eating itself up. Eat enough protein that they don't (or just barely start) to change color.

SEARS WAS WRONG

He was always blasting Atkins for his 'high protein' diet. If you used the Ketostix like Atkins recommended you weren't getting enough protein.

MODIFIED ATKINS + SEARS

I feel the need, the need for speed.

3/4lb per week?

GMAFB!

From a medical standpoint it is dangerous to loose more than about 1.5Kg per week, about 14lbs per month.

So how do we go from 3lbs/mo (3/4lb a week) to 14lbs/mo?

You cannot eat less protein or fat, so you have one choice. Eat fewer carbs.

What if I raise my activity level?

Aside from the fact that you're lying to yourself, it won't work. As you raise your activity level you raise your requirements for protein and fat in a direct 1:1 ratio. Exercise (if you want) to improve your muscle tone, and use the Ketostix to make sure you're getting enough protein.

Use the value computed in the Zone as a maximum figure for carbs, and the Atkins figure for a minimum.

Every 10 grams per day made a 1lb/mo difference for me. The Zone worked out to 150gm carb for me (I'm a big boy). At this level I was loosing 3lbs/mo. Going down to 40gm per day made an 11lb/mo difference, IOW I lost 14lb/mo (the medical maximum limit).

I like broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, that kind of stuff. Go pile up 40gm worth of that. It is about 3lbs! Could you eat more than that in a day? Don't forget the protein, I need to eat 120gm. That is SIX 1/4lb burgers.

Atkins recommended a minimum of about 25gm carb per day. I think that is mainly for fiber to keep things working.

TRANSITION

As you near your ideal weight you will need to gradually add more carbs and you will transition from the ATKINS into the ZONE.

MAINTENANCE

For most people, the ZONE will be the best maintenance diet.

dddd

All these diets - and dieters - miss the boat. How about a balanced diet combined with eating a reasonable quantity of food? That method works best here......and I've lost 50 lbs in three years.

My diet was already too "meat based". Before I changed my dietary habits, the main item was a meat item...everything else was "on the side". What is interesting is that I ate no more in quantity before the weight loss - it was what I was eating.

And what I was eating was similar to Atkins - I just didn't know it.

I began concentrating on cutting down the meat in my diet. Make meat a "seasoning" - similar to the amount of broccoli in a plate of stir-fry. The human body doesn't need that much meat. If you also consume dairy, this is especially true.

A doctor told me that the human body can only digest a certain amount of meat per day. Often, people who eat too much meat do not "pass everything", that it sticks to the insides of the colon (big contributor to colon cancer). When they talk about a meal that "sticks to your ribs" they were right on.

More fruits and vegetables will solve this problem - and provide "filler" or volume to the meal without weighing you down. It also provides balance in vitamins and minerals.

You need carbs too - just not too many. This is generally solved in the quantity, too - eating a reasonable amount of food that is balanced will keep you from "overcarbing". Carbs can add to your weight, but it's about the quantity, not that carbs are inherently bad.

Another big help: WATER. Make it your beverage of choice. It allows you to avoid lots of empty calories found in other beverages, and prevents dehydration. I have also found an interesting parallel - that insufficient water consumption affects mood. If I find myself frustrated/irritable, I always ask myself if I have had enough water. If I haven't, I drink a quart. In 30-45 minutes, I feel the effects of that hydration. If you drink lots of other beverages (even the diet stuff), switch!!! The ultimate diet/health beverage is water.

So yes, I generally think that these "diets" are more marketing than anything else. When I see Hardees pushing bunless burgers, or worse yet that "no-carb bowl" (which is just GROSS)15.gif, I wonder what whacko really thinks that is healthy. I know "whacko" is a strong term, but take one look at that "low-carb" bowl, and you will have to agree that no where else but an auto garage has that much grease.

On the weekends i will do some fast food and if we work the weekend we will have a pot luck dinner and the door is open for the good stuff. Today will be cold cuts with all the fixings, last week we had hot links and hot dogs with all the fixings, week before that was ribs that were so big i could only eat 2 of them and of course all the fixings. but toped it off with homemade peach and apple cobbler that still had the butter running running out of it. Bill

Frankly, I am amazed by this thread and its LACK of REAL information. The goal is NOT to LOSE weight...as a matter of fact you might even GAIN some weight if you do things PROPERLY! The goal is actually to REDUCE BODYFAT, which in turn means you end up with less inches WHERE the bodyfat tends to reside on your body! Muscle weighs more than fat does. So, you can convert your weight to muscle from bodyfat, lose inches where that bodyfat normally resides on you, and still not lose a single POUND of weight in many cases!

The key is to become more physically fit, not to just diet to lose weight. A diet is worthless unless it is combined with EXCERCISE in order to gain anything in the physical HEALTH area of things!

The best way to reduce body fat is to make sure your metabolic rate increases through regular aerobic excercise. If your metabolic rate increases, then you burn up more calories (which meanns your body will not store them as bodyfat), process your food better, and FEEL healthier! Everybody is different, but the key to doing things RIGHT is to reduce intake of food, increase intake of WATER, and excercise. As your body's metabolism rate increases it is more important for you to have a higher intake of WATER, because water is the basis of your body's ability to process nutrients and provide electrolytic solutions necessary to brain functions.

Diets can make you smaller and lighter, but they won't necessarily make you any healthier unless they are combined with excercise to build your system up and increase your metabolic functions. By combining excercise into the picture you will simply FEEL healthier because you ARE healthier!

At my healthiest, I was jogging a mile a day at lunch, and doing a good, hard, 3-hour workout in martial arts three days a week...and had not done a thing about my diet at all! As a matter of fact, I was eating three times as much as I eat NOW each day, because my metabolic rate was so high! I was a lean, mean, fighting machine and I felt GREAT!

Diets will NOT make your heart healthier by themselves...they will NOT reduce the cholesterol build-up in your arteries, they will NOT aid you in bettering your brain functions...it takes MORE than just a diet to get healthy!

OK...most of us are old farts now...so we aren't normally gonna do some of the things for excercise we felt comfortable with when younger, simply because parts of our bodies just can;t handle it anymore. So, try this: reduce your intake of food, increase your intake of water, convert to a well-balanced diet, and get a membership in some place that has an Olympic-sized swimming pool that you can use all year round...and USE it! Swimming is low impact and can provide you with all the aerobic excercise you will ever need...if you will just DO it! Swimming is ALSO one of the most COMPLETE full-body forms of excercise available...you will be excercising your entire body when swimming, NOT just one section of muscles or whatever! SO hit the water and start making those laps! Pretty simple!

Besides, How the heck to you think PWK lived to be almost 100 years old and still had great brain functions? It certainly wasn't a genetic thing! He outlived all of his previous family mambers by a large number of years! It certainly wasn't because the removal of part of his lungs in the 1960's made him live a longer life! Pretty simple! HE SWAM LAPS!