Lets see YOUR Home Theater:

Pako

Hello there....

I thought I would continue with the discussion of the 6.1 rear center channel seems that is the theme as of late.

You may have not seen many, if ANY of these, so, I dug up my one and only 6.1 BluRay.

Here you can see the DTS 'ES' spec in discrete audio.... While the Dolby 'EX' is 5.1 with a mix or matrix to the rear center.

All for now..

............g

post-23544-13819663338504_thumb.jpg

Hello there....

I thought I would continue with the discussion of the 6.1 rear center channel seems that is the theme as of late.

You may have not seen many, if ANY of these, so, I dug up my one and only 6.1 BluRay.

Here you can see the DTS 'ES' spec in discrete audio.... While the Dolby 'EX' is 5.1 with a mix or matrix to the rear center.

All for now..

............g

That’s not even HD audio. That’s old

old. When you run dts-hd ma ES and you look at the display on a ps3 its 6.1. The

pic below is the blu ray player display for DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 ES.

post-50231-13819663349968_thumb.jpg

... I know some fellows here are playing with '9.1' and beyond, but in my mind its like adding more stereo speakers to the mix and not really what the sound engineers have worked on in the studios with a discrete multi channel mix.

Its all about separation and truly INDIVIDUAL sounds coming from different places in the room with NO bleed through which is known to happen in matrixing 'blends' , we've all heard this before..

Fwiw, My primary Home Theater experience is converting 5.1 DVD-As and SACDs into "7.1" and on most material it's like having a separate discrete rear channel. {Note: Even 6.1 encoded material sounds better on 2 speakers in the back if it can be set up properly.}

Hello Reference...

Well, I wasn't making a point of the resolution, but just to show it was a discrete 7 channel format and the NEXT expansion if you will over what was the standard DVD audio format of Dolby / DTS 5.1.... fact is, when 6.1 first came out, it was the addition of a center REAR (not higher audio performance per say) of course a DTS decorder had to be present...

Far as I know, 6.1 has been dead for a long time..........Heck, we have ENOUGH trouble trying to find a multitude of 7.1 releases. It seems 5.1 MA and HD are more easily found and still very popular on NEW movie and music releases.

Is it possible 7.1 may eventually go away ? Some say you don't need anything more then 5.1 and perhaps the studios are thinking this way also? Less expensive for everyone too?

Now I noticed that you DO have a 6.1 mode on your display... Should illuminate when correct format called for like any of the newer formats we have today. With a movie like the label I showed, it should fire up the correct decoder and go about its thing.

Again, just some thoughts on the subject. [;)]

...........g

Just looked at your recent photo...............Yes, DTS MA is discrete, but its NOT 6.1 ... Its 5.1 or 7.1 ... I am more curious as to what the NON highlighted 6.1 mode does...........as mentioned, by all correctness, you should never see that 6.1 unless you have a 6.1 format in the player... Also, your comment on 'Old Old' ..... Well, we didn't have BluRay in 2004 which was the orginal release date of the movie, however, HD 1080p are the upgrades to this movie and the audio portion is probably original...

all for the moment...

OH, forgot to mention. When I played that 6.1 movie, I had to use my Onkyo 6.1 receiver.......there was NO HDMI available then..

Likewise, there is no REAR center channel output or decoder present in my newer Onkyo 7.1, so the 6.1 movie may run the back surrounds? Don't know, have not tried it yet...

..........g

Just looked at your recent photo...............Yes, DTS MA is discrete, but its NOT 6.1 ... Its 5.1 or 7.1 ... I am more curious as to what the NON highlighted 6.1 mode does...........as mentioned, by all correctness, you should never see that 6.1 unless you have a 6.1 format in the player... Also, your comment on 'Old Old' ..... Well, we didn't have BluRay in 2004 which was the orginal release date of the movie, however, HD 1080p are the upgrades to this movie and the audio portion is probably original...

all for the moment...

Put in any DTS MA 5.1 ES movie

and the blu ray player will decode it into 6.1 channels. ES is 6.1 audio it’s

not the same as the old EX. Here is a link to a brand new release in 6.1 audio.

The blu ray player has to be able

to decode ES or it won’t be 6.1. If you have an old blu ray player that doesn’t

support ES then you won’t get 6.1.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Star-Wars-Blu-ray/14903/

Interesting...... Yeah, I figured that the back surrounds would take the 'center' rear.... but you would not be listening to a high resolution audio since its not encoded as such correct ?

Great on the bluray 7.1's you have, but how many blurays do you have that are not ?? Out of my very small collection of blurays, only TWO are in 7.1 while the rest are 5.1 ... Also a friend of mine made comment about the DTS vs. the Dolby thing, and it seems that its swung toward more releases in DTS these days. Have you found this to be true in your collection?

...........g

• dtel pinned this topic