Anyone else besides me get theater burnout?

m00n

Moon

Just wait till you cross the little woman - THEN you'll be only too happy to have a place out of the way, where you can go lick your wounds, crank some tunes and let the storm blow over.

I don't have the HT burnout problem as of yet. Mine is in a dedicated room in our basement. It is mainly used for music, and I develop a nervous tic if I am without a good music listening session at least every 2-3 days.1.gif

I use my system as part of my living room... so we watch regular movies/TV/music without a special occasion. Only problem we have is a different "volume" tolerance... or basically my girlfriend just thinks I'm deaf. Truth is I actually like to experience the music or movie. All I can say, when the cat goes out, the mice play and rock the house.

I've been wanting a dedicated room with a projector and the like... but given all your comments, I can see the drawbacks.

Ironically, it's my car hobby which has been taking the back seat for the moment... but I know it'll come back, as soon as I stretch my day to 32hrs... 3.gif

Rob

I went through home theatre burnout, and never recovered, thank goodness. It came to a head nearly two years when I had everything home theatre that could open or shut. I had so much money tied up in a dedicated home theatre room for so little result.

Why did I pay thousands of dollars just so so I could hear a few sound effects behind me when I watched movies and listened to my very few multi channel music discs?

I kept my KLF10's as a stereo pair and sold all my receiver and other Klipsch surround speakers and sub. I bought my tube integrated, kept my Toshiba 900E plus my projector and wide screen - and now I have my Klipschorns.

So now I have a great 2 channel music system. I watch probably 2 to 3 movies a week and movies sound great in Klipschorn 2 channel.

So I guess it's only a matter of time. This thread probably carries the home theatre burnout virus - so Klipsch better gear up the Heritage production line so home theatre burnout victims can be treated to a 2 channel cure!11.gif

Moon-

I see your point. Leaving the house to watch a movie in your home theater isnt probably the most convenient thing in the world, especially since I imagine that your wife/kiddie(s) opt to remain in the big house. Just the same, Id hang onto your gear if I were you, otherwise you might be selling off your jeep accessories to repurchase your audio gear when bad weather sets in and the movie bug starts to bite.

6.gif

P.S.

Have you outfitted the jeep with a audio system yet?

Clu, you're on the right track, but thank goodness ol' fini is stepping in with the ultimate answer. m00n, it's remodel time again. I can't remember what your seating situation is in your HT, but you'll have to yank it out; chairs, risers, etc. Next, you'll be putting in a garage door at the rear of the room, so you can park your new seats (the Jeep) in the HT room. Best of both worlds! The ultimate drive-in, you can even make out with your lovely wife.

P.S. Make sure you have clearance to the projector. You may have to remount it on the roof of the Jeep.

I also go through stretches like that so you are not alone. Part of it is burnout, and the other part is simply logistics. As others have said, when your dedicated room is in another part of the house, it is sometimes difficult to sneak away, especially when you have young ones (ummm, excuse me dear, going to venture away for a while). That always wins you points and gets you that expression. 7.gif

As a result, I have started pouring more money into our secondary system(located in our main family room). As Fish said, sometimes its just easier to listen/watch stuff in the room where you normally spend more of your time.

I will not get rid of any stuff from my main system, however. Its still nice to have it when you want it.

Carl.

m00n: All kidding asside, our dedicated theater is in our basement, adjacent our home office. My wife and I spend an enormous amount of time in our office as we each have our own workstations, one in each of the two corners (as seen here in a very poor panaramic composite lifted from video stills):

view1.jpg

It's an old picture but you get the idea. And to think we have all of this usable space in a room that is only 10' X 10' !!!!

But, in order to get to our office, we must walk through our theater. So, we have spent a lot of time just watching TV and sporting events in our theater. And, I cannot stress to you how much more fun it is to watch regular TV shows such as 'Las Vegas' when it comes in on Hi-Def!

Sure! It's summertime and we wanna be outside doing stuff more than watch movies in the basement for now. I think that's normal, especially if you have a shiny, new Jeep in the driveway like you do! But, come Fall, we'll be running the microwave that sits on the bar full-tilt to pop the popcorn for our movies with our friends! Oh yeah.. and then, HOCKEY SEASON BEGINS!!!! 3.gif

post-10177-13819257023732_thumb.jpg

There are so many movies I want to see and a few good new ones coming out every now and then, I can't imagine having enough time to even get caught up let alone get burnt out. I have so little time for my hobbies that they are always new and fun when I do finally get to come back to them.

----------------

On 7/5/2004 10:57:14 AM m00n wrote:

I just realized today that I can't remember the last time I was out in my theater and actually watched a movie. I'm guessing it's been at least 3 months since I have turned my gear on. And considering how much money I have invested in that room, it sure seems like such a waste.

I'm guessing this would not happen to the folks who have their gear in thier living room where you watch TV every day, but what about the people who have a dedicated room just for their theater? Do you go through spells where you don't go in for long periods of time?

I've even considered downsizing a bit. I could use the money for my Jeep.

----------------

i get like that sometimes too, get burned out on the system. It used to mean for me that it was time to buy something new, but these days i don't have the money to buy something new, so i just constantly rearange, or change something small and cheap, then go throuhg the media all over again to see the diiffrence.

Sometimes I don't want to turn on my system just because it generates too much heat and we have no air conditioning! Usualy I'll play something in the morning before I leave for work just loud enough to hear throuout the house (that's when the cats hide).

Kind of a bummer about the heat. I have to open the windows only to let the constant droaning white-noise from the highway envelope the room. The if it were cooler the ol' horns would most certainly take care of that.

But yea, taking care of the lil' hot rod and waiting for my Walther PPK/S to come back from Cylinder & Slide is also on the list.