Why do some amps go up for sale frequently

----------------

On 7/19/2004 9:02:09 PM Audio Flynn wrote:

All these Wrights, Moondogs and so forth go up for sale so often.

When people dump them, what do they buy?

I know allot of Dynaco PAS preamps go up for sale quite often BUT

1. Many were made over many years

2. Phono section is lifeless

What are the reasons some of these are sold off at an obvious loss of serious cash?

----------------

I think my Moondogs were the best sounding amps that I have had in my system. I used them on both Belles and later with K-horns. When I say the Moondogs were best sounding, I am not claiming they could drive my speakers louder than any of the other amps I tried, but that they sound the best to me in my room (now I think the Horus are better). I have tried quite a few higher and lower powered amps, both tube and SS. There are a few other amps that I had in my system I would still like to own, all higher powered than 2A3s, but I simply can't afford that much gear (especially when it would be laying around unused most of the time).

I sold my Moondogs to upgrade to JF Lessard Horus monoblocks. I wish I could have kept the Moondogs also, but I simply couldn't afford both. I did not lose 'serious cash' when I sold them, in fact I sold them for about what I paid for them (the benefit of buying used).

Actually, I don't agree with the premise of this thread - I don't think that Moondogs and Wrights come up for sale all that frequently. I waited over 6 months for a pair of either to come up for sale before I bought my Moondogs.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 7/21/2004 9:26:13 AM paulparrot wrote:

Just checking to see if you meant to use the word "upgrade" or you had accidentally typed the wrong word? Either way, looking at a picture of an amp is no way to make a good decision.
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/nono.gif">

---------------

Paul, I would have been disappointed if you hadn't jumped in when you did. Your timing is impeccable. You see this battle is raging inside me. I'm being dragged into the Dark Side. I'm kicking and screaming, fighting with all my strength but..... He's calling me..... It's the SET monster! I'm being called by the SET monster! Beckoned into the unknown by an amorphous creature wielding a 3.5 watt light sabre!6.gif

How do you fight such a creature? What do I do?

Paul, help me! I'm losing my..............14.gif

Go for it Edwin. If it doesn't work out, just sell them. You are going to HAVE to give them a whirl, because if you don't -- you'll always be wondering. Just make sure you take the time to audition a quality push-pull as well.

I have to agree with Dean, try out as much gear as you can. Buying used allowed me to sample many different amp topologies and I was always able to resell the amps that didn't float my boat without losing much money (if any). I tried SET last because I just couldn't believe 3.5 watts could be anywhere near enough power.

Also, now that I have my settled on the SET amps I like best, I am back auditioning higher power again too (if 30wpc could be considered high power2.gif) for a second system.

----------------

On 7/22/2004 8:26:53 AM DeanG wrote:

Go for it Edwin. If it doesn't work out, just sell them. You are going to HAVE to give them a whirl, because if you don't -- you'll always be wondering. Just make sure you take the time to audition a quality push-pull as well.

----------------

Hello:

And along with Jazman's offers to disseminate his knowledge of different types of amplifiers, Dean's reply is the best to answer what type of amplifier to own - noting Paul Parrot's caution that a photograph is not the best way to make a decision.

Listen to types yourself, compare them to others and make your own decision. As was mentioned, buying used SET and selling if you don't like them for about the same price you paid is applicable to buying a used good quality PP or SS amplifier. If you don't like them and they are good quality, you will recoup most of the price you paid.

The point is keep an open mind.

dodger

----------------

On 7/22/2004 9:39:49 AM NOSValves wrote:

I think calling SET a monster is out a place ! Its more like a princess
2.gif

----------------

A princess indeed! Just take a moment to reflect on Dr. Bottlehead's line. Paramour, seduction, , etc.10.gif

BTW, My first experience with SET was a pair of Paramours I purchased from a member of this forum. IMO they are a fine introduction to SET in terms of sound quality and especially in bang for the buck. I think they will deliver 85-90% of the Wrights. IMO if you don't like the Paramours, you are just not going to be a fan of SET anyway. They seem to sell on Audiogon for near the kit price, if one is confident of the builder's ability a good choice. If a DIYer, a satisfying project to build the kit, I would think.3.gif

----------------

On 7/21/2004 9:34:25 AM DeanG wrote:

I want everyone to try SET, and the sooner the better.

----------------

Hello,I am new to this forum and felt compelled to say a few words.I currently own Shanling SP-80 monoblocks.I love the sound of these 50 watt PP amps.They are like magic on my LaScala's.But a few months back I heard a SET setup and cant get the sound out of my mind!I keep telling myself that what I have sounds great but...that sound.I will probably talk myself into the move.That does'nt mean I have a problem with my current amps.The SET sound appeals to me. Greg

----------------

On 7/22/2004 8:08:18 AM edwinr wrote:

Paul, I would have been disappointed if you hadn't jumped in when you did. Your timing is impeccable. You see this battle is raging inside me. I'm being dragged into the Dark Side. I'm kicking and screaming, fighting with all my strength but..... He's calling me..... It's the SET monster! I'm being called by the SET monster! Beckoned into the unknown by an amorphous creature wielding a 3.5 watt light sabre!
6.gif

How do you fight such a creature? What do I do?

Paul, help me! I'm losing my..............
14.gif

----------------

LOL! It's refreshing that you have a sense of humor, a sense of the absurd. If distortion, compression, and clipping don't bother you and you want to rationalize them away, you'll be fine.

"If distortion, compression, and clipping don't bother you and you want to rationalize them away, you'll be fine."

To think that only SETs suffer "distortion, compression and clipping" is an extremely narrowminded thinking.

----------------

On 7/22/2004 12:45:23 PM steamer wrote:

----------------

On 7/21/2004 9:34:25 AM DeanG wrote:

I want everyone to try SET, and the sooner the better.

----------------

Hello,I am new to this forum and felt compelled to say a few words.I currently own Shanling SP-80 monoblocks.I love the sound of these 50 watt PP amps.They are like magic on my LaScala's.But a few months back I heard a SET setup and cant get the sound out of my mind!I keep telling myself that what I have sounds great but...that sound.I will probably talk myself into the move.That does'nt mean I have a problem with my current amps.The SET sound appeals to me. Greg

----------------

Greg,

It's good for members to hear from individuals who have not been fed a diet of fear and ignorance concerning SET amps pedaled by many in this forum, and who has heard and experienced for himself. Whatever your final configuration, or alternate configuration, only you can decide what you prefer. Thanks for the blast of fresh air.

Klipsch out.

----------------

On 7/22/2004 1:20:11 PM neo33 wrote:

To think that only SETs suffer "distortion, compression and clipping" is an extremely narrowminded thinking.

----------------

Rationalizing doesn't change the facts. Yes, other equipment distorts and all amps can clip at some point. But does that absolve an amp that has a whole magnitude of extra distortion? Is it better to have an amp that clips at 1W or 60W?

Hello:

One can find distortion, compression and clipping on the CDs, DVDs.

Depending on desired volume level, a 20 - 40 watt amplifier can provide one or all three "problems" mentioned.

dodger

EDIT:

Power makes no difference if the source material is tainted. You can have all good intentions of doing a great job as a Recording Engineer, but the performers have their say which can overide you. Also if the final mix is not done by you, there can be a completely different sound.

We must keep the limitations of the Recording Equipment in mind also.

Besides, if the owner is happy the point and argument is moot.

dodger

----------------

On 7/22/2004 1:29:51 PM paulparrot wrote:

Rationalizing doesn't change the facts. Yes, other equipment distorts and all amps can clip at some point. But does that absolve an amp that has a whole magnitude of extra distortion? Is it better to have an amp that clips at 1W or 60W?

----------------

It's better to have gear that sounds better to the owner. End of story. And rationalizing that doesn't change that fact, either. I thought sfogg drove that point home quite well.

Looking at the power supplies of an average PP and SET amp there are not significant differences. What this means that although the PP amp's output is "capable" of much more power, with both channels driven the PS will peter out and cause it's own distortion whereas the SET will put out it's "full" 3.5 watts cleanly.

It's a choose your poison type of thing or do like most of us and have multiple amps/systems to satisfy our whims.

Rick

"It's better to have gear that sounds better to the owner. End of story. And rationalizing that doesn't change that fact, either. I thought sfogg drove that point home quite well."

Apparently, Paul hasn't fully absorb it yet. I suppose it's too much for him to comprehend.

"Looking at the power supplies of an average PP and SET amp there are not significant differences. What this means that although the PP amp's output is "capable" of much more power, with both channels driven the PS will peter out and cause it's own distortion whereas the SET will put out it's "full" 3.5 watts cleanly."

Yeah, but to Paul the PS don't matter. 3.5 "clean" watts ain't the same as 200 "distorted" watts!