anyone here into bicycling (distance and speed)?

tpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never done long distance, but in college I started to get into mountain biking, occassionally taking road trips with my frat bros to Tahoe or Whistler with our mountain bikes. The current bike I have now (which is sitting outsite safely chained to my monster mudding tires) is the GT XCR-i5000.

About 15 years ago, I was into it pretty seriously; not competitively (except for with himself), I was riding about 20 miles\day on the weekdays and 40 miles\day on the weekends. We have a lot of nice hills here in Missouri, so all of my riding started at my home (and ended there), and included some mildly strenuous climbs.

I was really into the diet (remember when carbs were good?), and was about to pass the phase where I would start needing the food that I was eating during my rides just to finish, when I injured my knee. I was taking over-the-counter Advil for tooth pain one weekend (3 or 4 at a time, until I could get to the dentist on Monday); on one of my long weekend rides, I was surprised at how easy it was late in the ride to keep up the pace... I wasn't feeling much fatigue after about 35 miles, and was still pushing myself pretty well.

After I stopped taking the Advil a couple of days later, I noticed an achy feeling in my left knee, and it would pop every time I bent it. After about a week of this, I went to my doctor, who told me I had roughened the cartilage under my kneecap ("chondromalacia"), and that after rest and a slow start back on the bike, it should go away.

But it never did. No matter how long I would take it easy, or how slowly I would start back up, the aching and popping would return. Now, even if I do a lot of stair- or rock-climbing, the irrritation returns. I guess if I could take the time off work, I would look into surgical repair for it, but who has the time?

I have tried to get back into the bicycling, even at a more casual level, but when the symptoms return, it takes all of the joy out of the experience. There is definitely an endorphine thing going on when your are working your body on that level. That, along with the satisfaction of accomplishment and the corresponding physical enhancement, was the impetus for riding. I still miss it, but I am probably better off not being out on the streets in my city; it is not bike-friendly at all, and I would have most likely been run over by now. That's called rationalization, and it helps me...

I work part time at Leawood Bikes in KC,MO and i would stick with the Trek but it is more up to taste. But make sure you go to a shop where they know how to size the bike to you,,,,my boss use to ride pro and was a trainer but alot of big shops have kids working there...the average age of workers at Leawood Bikes is about 45 if thats a clue and we all ride.Rick

I used to live about 4 miles from the Trek HQ and factory in Wisconsin. A LOT of the employees were bike ridin' fools!!!

They rode a lot in the summer since it gets substantially below zero in the winter there, when they couldn't ride.

Marvel

Trek bikes are popular because of Lance Armstrong, not because they are great bike. The fact they are very good bikes is just coincidental.

You say you want to go high-end right away, no BS. Good, I like this attitude.

Firstly, I would recommend lurking over the bike forums (www.bikeforums.net). There are many discussions about this subject there. Also, there are a number of posts on Trek bikes, frames.

Personally, I would consider two materials, titanium or steel. Also, I would go custom. Depending on who yuo use to build your bike the total expense won't be that much more than a tricked out trek or other mass manufacturer.

The choice will be dependent on how much riding you plan to do, how much you weigh, how flexible and in shape you are. If, let's say you are over 200lbs, choose steel. If, you are under 150lbs I would choose titanium.

Carbon Fiber is not a bad material. Many cyclist like myself use mixed frame materials: my bike is a custom titanium frame with carbon fiber fork and integrated seatstays.

The great thing about steel is they are making frame tubing much lighter these days than in years past. And by comparison its still affordable.

Titanium and steel will out live you.

Bike fit is important. Bike shops use various methods to arrive at two basic recommendations: either a frame that is too big or a frame that is too small. It is up to you decide what you prefer. I would always choose a frame that is one size smaller than my proper fit, for better control, less weight. Other people have different views.

Recommendations:

Dean Bikes

Anvil Bikes

Independent Fabrications

There are others, some real custom and $$$$$$, others less so.

No offense to bike shop salespeople, but they are there to sell you a bike; they could care less whether you actually are riding the bike a year from now or not.

There are of course a few great bike shops across the country...you just have to be lucky to be near one.

More specific info on what your size, weight and goals are would be helpful.

tpg,

I am by no means an expert on this subject; I only know about my own experience... what my doctor told me, what I've read, and the results of my efforts to get back into bicycling.

I don't know that knee popping in and of itself is unusual or cause for concern. You definitely want to make sure that your seating position is at the same time comfortable and conducive to good application of force on the pedals. I tended to keep raising my saddle and moving it back farther the more I got into it. I am wondering now if I over-did it, and was over-extending my legs. I have read from a few sources that cycling is good for this condition, provided that you do not stretch your legs to a near-straight position, or do not climb a lot of hills. This last item is unfortunate, given the terrain where I live, and the enjoyment I used to get out of standing up on the pedals to climb a steep incline. Heck, I live on a hill, and can't get back home without some moderate climbing.

I would say that you should not be too concerned, provided your seating position is good, and provided that the simple popping doesn't become a constant , or an ache. My knee would ache, with a slightly wet burning sensation, then it would pop two or three times when I bent it.

I usually try to ride again about once a year (usually when the weather turns really nice), for a few days, and the aching, popping annoyance has always come back. I just don't enjoy the results when forced to deal with the consequences. I would say you should be alright.

Enjoy!

(BTW, I was very close to plunking down over $1,000 14 years ago for a better bike; I'm glad this didn't happen after I made the purchase. I was looking at Trek, among others, but most likely would have gone with a custom-built road bike, preferably between 22 and 25 pounds total weight.... I lusted after Kestrel, but couldn't justify the 3-grand I seem to remember them at).

I've done a bit with my sister and brother in law. They are into it.

I note that bike clubs are a large part of the issue. Some are very mixed in age and ability. This is to say, everyone of differing ability can find a nich. There are weekday evening and weekend rides of differing distances and speeds in most metro areas. There are a lot of friends to be made.

You should definitely check this out.

- - - -

The mechanics of the bike has some allure to me. I don't quite get the difference in frame material as being much of an issue unless you really need to knock of 5 pounds at tremendous expense. I'd be better served taking the same (and much more) off my own gut.

I do see that as you go up in price you may be getting better brakes, wheels, tires, derailers, and the frame issue goes along with it.

There does seem to be an issue of road bike versus mountain bike. My thought is that road condition dictates what you can use. It seems to me that city streets with curbs, pot holes, broken beer bottles, etc, dictate mountain bikes. In my view, mostly a tire and wheel issue.

Best,

Gil

It's great to hear that you've taken up cycling. You say you're going to push yourself pretty hard. Any performance goals? Based on my experience, I'd recommend some moderation. Give yourself days off. And do some upper body work too, like push ups, sit ups and pull ups. Or you can go to a gym if you're so inclined. A little walking, running and hiking thrown in will help keep your muscle development balanced. Lance can still perform a mean triathalon, so you know that some cross training can only help.

I do a lot of cycling. It's great fun and I'll always suggest it to anybody. I've worked in the bike industry now for over 10 years, despite training and education in other directions, (nuclear power, aviation), just because I really love bicycles and believe in them. It's a fantastic technology, and one that I feel is highly under utilized by our civilization. It never ceases to thrill me how I can ride for miles at a 4 minute mile pace while holding a relaxed conversation with the person riding next to me. With effort and preparation, I can do a 3 minute mile pace for 100 miles non-stop! All with just my own body power. I love efficient things. I think that's why I'm into Klipsch speakers. There's always something beautiful about efficiency. If I were ever to get into aviation again, it would be to fly sailplanes.

Usually I'll do a few races every year for fun. This year I decided to get serious and race hard. Well, now at the end of summer with dozens of races under my belt I'm pretty burned out and not too inclined to want to go on a long bike ride. I mostly just ride around town doing shopping and commuting to work. I'm also doing more walking and a little running. But I'll get back into recreational riding again after a little break.

The place I work at has a lunch time ride just about every day, regardless of the weather. It's usually about a 16 to 18 mile loop with a few optional hills. Sometimes it's a very fast ride. But lately we had a few serious crashes sprinting for stop ahead signs, so the ride has slowed down considerably.

That brings up another thing: Be Careful! This year I've seen among those I ride with a fractured femur, a broken hip, broken collar bone, and a few cracked ribs. Riding fast and competetive is a rough sport!

10.gif

Tpg, if you want any suggestions or help on fitness, weight lifting, nutrition, or nutrition supplementation I'd be glad to help. Those things, along with home theater, are also a favorite pass-time of mine. I'm an ectomorph, like you, only I'm 6'0" and 145lbs, with about 5% bodyfat (can bench my bodyweight 31 times as well 1.gif ). Since we're both shooting for the same goal, which is lean and yet pure defined muscle, I can relate.

I love bicycles, but I've been out of the saddle a couple of years now. Cycling is great for your overall fitness, but do get that knee looked at; biking probably won't help it.

There are some striking similarities between the road bicycle world and the audio world.

1. Some of the old solutions are still the better/best solutions. Klipschorns, vinyl and SETs versus double butted Italian or English frames, Reynolds 501 alloy, Campagnolo gruppos, Brooks saddles, etc.

2. Opinionated people are easy to find. Audio-wise, just follow a few threads in this forum! Bike-wise, once a roadie finds a frame he likes, that's pretty much it! My riding partners in Germany back in 1984 loved their Ciocc and Guercotti rides and couldn't shut up about them. Weren't going to talk me out of my Raleigh, though!

Some roadies can be real snobs, too!

3. You don't necessarily have to spend a fortune to get really good stuff. You just have to buy smart! As in the audio world, do your homework.

Consider a used road bike. Yard Sales, pawn shops, bike shops are a starting point. Test ride some and see what frame size works for you. My guess is a 21" frame could be right for you at 5'8", but you'll find what fits. I ride a 23" frame. The tube between the headset and seat should not touch your crotch while your feet are flat on the ground.

Subtle differences in frame angles and geometry add up to big differences in handling, turning, comfort, stability, etc. Try to ride a lot of different bikes and find the one that gives you the most satisfaction on every point. I hated Peugeot's from the first pedal stroke. Likewise, I had never ridden a Raleigh until I was 33 years old; but one test ride on a dealers bike around San Antonio hooked me! Much as I can spot a Klipsch in a room full of speakers, I can instantly spot the distinctive Raleigh frame geometry in a crowd of bikes. Strange but true.

Point is, you'll find the bike that feels like it was "made" for you, and that is probably what you'll stick with forever. A road bike is an extension of your feet, so it becomes a very personalized object! My current (and probably last) Raleigh was a $45 yard sale score. One Phoenix summer day in 1995 my eyes locked on to it from half a block away. Stopped the car, lifted it up, felt it was light and knew it had a lot of double butted tubes. Checked the headset badge: "Nottingham", a "true" Raleigh! Raced to the ATM for the $45, bought the bike and the saga began.

Won't bore you with the details, but a few hundred dollars later, the bike became very personalized. Sounds something like audio, doesn't it!

I like double-butted alloy steel frames. Titanium is brittle and harsh, even though is light. Steel has a springing action that gives and forgives and can help ease the fatigue of a long ride.

I also own a Vision R-40 Recumbent. Very comfortable for a geezer (age 54) like me! Visions can be had very reasonably on Ebay ever since the company went out of business earlier this year.

Here in Korea, it's just too freaking dangerous to ride. The average Korean driver is an arrogant idiot and the roads are full of broken glass, trash, potholes, Koreans and other hazards. You can spend a whole trip here fixing flats and recovering from near-misses.

I've tried bikes several times over the years. The major problems are: butt pain (what's a good seat?), back pain (degenerated discs), and hand problems (numbness). Solutions? I have a Trek 930 hybrid, and also some road bike (with the curled-down handlebars).

----------------

On 9/27/2004 7:51:48 AM fini wrote:

I've tried bikes several times over the years. The major problems are: butt pain (what's a good seat?), back pain (degenerated discs), and hand problems (numbness). Solutions? I have a Trek 930 hybrid, and also some road bike (with the curled-down handlebars).

----------------

Solution: A recumbent! Like my Vision. No butt, back or hand pain. Conventional bikes load these areas.