William Shatner sings

Jabez Scratch

If you haven't heard William Shatner (aka Capt. Kirk) sing, go download his versions of "Rocket Man" and "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds."

Listening to the songs is a positively surreal experience. I cannot put into words how frighteningly bad, how surrealistically bizarre the songs sound. You will laugh humourlessly, nervously at first, then you will rub your eyes, pinch yourself, and re-establish your presence in what you think is the normal universe where you belong. You will start asking yourself philosophical and existential questions like: how can something so bad exist in the universe that I have come to understand and, more pragmatically, what the hell was Shatner thinking (read: smoking). I didn't know whether the tears pouring from my eyes when listening to "Rocket Man" were from the laughter or from some gut-wrenching reflex in the pit of my stomach that is triggered by horribly bad art.

Listen with caution.

----------------

On 10/9/2004 1:21:42 PM kenratboy wrote:

At work, we listened to 'Common People' on Raphsody (sp?) and it was a ******* JOKE!!!

I honestly didn't understand. He was not singing, but TALKING THE SONG!

----------------

You are so right: Shatner TALKS the songs, not sings them. I've listened to the songs again and they are so damned funny. He actually starts yelling at the end of "Mr. Tambourine Man."

And "Rocket Man" is positively hilarious. He's performing it at some 1970s sci-fi award ceremony.

William Shakespeare/William Shatner ... coincidence? Hmmm ...

I'm sorry, but I can't let this go: I always thought of "Mr. Tambourine Man" as one of those happy, hippy 60s songs, but Shatner sounds like he is literally angry at Mr. Tambourine Man -- he yells at the top of his lungs at the end of the song.

Oh, man, if you need an especially good laugh, makes sure you listen to the end of the song and Shatner's yelling.

There's an old album I remember called "The Golden Throats". It included Nimoy's "If I Had a Hammer" and a couple of aforementioned Shatner tunes - as well as Sebastian Cabot doing "It Ain't Me Babe".

Good stuff if you need some comic relief. It's soooooo horrible, you bust out laughing uncontrollably until your sides literally hurt.

Proof that a man must know his limitations.

My fav william shatner saturday night live moment was a skit at a "trekie" convention. He breaks down and tells em all to get a life..outside of star trek,,,, They look stunned.. and they make up a quick, "That was Captain kirk reversing what he really ment kinda thing....In season 3 made up name pilot" lol...

Nothing was more funny and sad at the same time. To insult your fans and destroy yourself on stage... And then make something up to cover...

I once heard Steve Martin say that is why he left stand up he just got too tired doing the same act no matter how much he was making!! Be like a one hit wonder group too.