The First Annual Klipsch Forum Appreciation Award.

thebes

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Call me cynical, but all one has to do is take a step back and read this thread and it's ebb & flow and it's painfully obvious this idea won't work.

Not that it isn't a good idea. It's just not possible for most of the reasons cited by j-molotky and those reasons not identified.

Some questions - what benefit does "the group" get out of this? Is it some how to make us feel good about ourselves to bestow something upon a person we really & truly don't know personally? The guy is great here, but a wife beater at home?? What benefit does the "winner" get out of this? "Hey honey, the Klipsch forum voted me member of the year." "That's nice Honey, pass the mustard."

Anyhow...wouldn't be the first idea that sounded good on paper.2.gif

Tom

----------------

On 10/20/2004 9:23:12 AM Tom Adams wrote:

Call me cynical, but all one has to do is take a step back and read this thread and it's ebb & flow and it's painfully obvious this idea won't work.

Not that it isn't a good idea. It's just not possible for most of the reasons cited by j-molotky and those reasons not identified.

Some questions - what benefit does "the group" get out of this? Is it some how to make us feel good about ourselves to bestow something upon a person we really & truly don't know personally? The guy is great here, but a wife beater at home?? What benefit does the "winner" get out of this? "Hey honey, the Klipsch forum voted me member of the year." "That's nice Honey, pass the mustard."

Anyhow...wouldn't be the first idea that sounded good on paper.
2.gif

Tom

----------------

Tom you are cynical. You said to call you that. LOL

But the idea can work. The ebb and flow are part of brainstorming. Looking at the whole forest first, then deciding which trees are the most colorful in the fall.

In business, Maslow's "Hierarchy of Needs Theory," recognition and appreciation are satisfiers, money a dis-satisfier - rating ahead of a number of other things that can be given - insurance benefits for some.

What does the winner receive? A sense of pride that someone else has recognized what they do. It probably won't mean much to those other than Forum Members, but people that answer questions, give information, make custom avatars, look things up for others - known or stranger - deserve to be recognized. It's nice when you've answered a question and the person doing the asking says thank you.

It's much different when one is recognized by their peers. I people look at the qualifications that need to be metand some fine tuning is done, we have a task. If people take the task seriously, I am confident that it will not turn into a popularity contest. Those judging will have to state the reasons, AND back them up by examples, for voting for the person(s).

It looks good on paper at this point, safeguards can be placed so that any qualms people may have will be put aside.

An example I know of - the Officer of the Month gets a lunch and a Certificate from the Chief. For doing their job. It makes no difference whether the means are extraordinary - you know it when you take the job. Their may be times when you have to go 150 % to complete an Investigation, take a Report, break up a fight, or just walk the street on Patrol or drive Patrol.

I believe that some can take the idea seriously. Some may have some humour, some may question until there is clarification. That seems to be where we are.

To find an answer one must first know the question.

dodger

A good mixed response so far with some excellent suggetions and pointers on how or why it may not work.

To flesh this out a bit, it would be offered annually, that's once a year folks, to a forum member. I've suggested a nominating committee of the 50 top posters to come up with say 10 candidates. Voting could be by say the top 500 posters or by the entire membership over a two week period.

The idea of using a nominating committee of top posters is that they spend a lot of time here and probably have the best feel for what individuals would meet the general criteria. I think the nominating criteria would argue against it being a simple popularity contest and the type of people I think would receive nominations are the not type that would begrudge a fellow member a hearty thank you from all of us for helping to keep this place helpful and interesting.

If Klipsch wants to leave this solely to the membership, I'm sure a few of us would be willing to chip in a few bucks and perhaps, say purchase a nice lp from Alan Songer along with a plague.

A lot of people go out of their way to help oout and I just felt a simpe aknowledgement would be in order, so please weigh in on this one.

----------------

On 10/19/2004 10:55:04 PM Audio Flynn wrote:

I am not voting for SKONOPA unless he get a haircut.

Make that a brush cut.

----------------

Heeeey! Whats wrong with my lovely thick, blond, curly locks? 11.gif

Actually, to bad the picture uploading is broken right now, as I have a good picture of myself from just about one month ago - with a bit less hair than I had during the "Klipsch Pilgrimage". 12.gif I guess I'll have to setup an account on one of those freebie photo-gallery sites.

I am certain the friendly folks over at Locks-of-Love were happy to get all that hair that came off my head. 12.gif

But I digress.....

Hey!

This could be fun...

Let me nominate the following:

Person most likely to acoustically re-design the Roman coliseum based on results of Klipsh studies. - Artto.

Person to stay the furthest from during a weather event - Scooterdog.

Person most likely to adopt a new personality mid conversation - HWatkins.

Crabbiest - TPG.

Person that travels under the largest black cloud - Justin. (Honorable mention Fini)

Person most likely needing a bass (bad-***) re-alignment - The Ears.

Persons most likely to be sued for copyright infringement - BBB/ me.

The forum boy-scouts...Doger and Thebes.

The forum girl-scouts ...TBD

.............more to come

Steve,

If you're offering, I'll take a pound of that hair...

NO NO NO, clu, No dark clouds over me!! Sunshine, love, peace...and some finger-crossing and wood-knocking for good measure.

I nominate CLU for tastiest member. Mmmmm...Christmas! 15-pound weight gain! I'd better start fasting right now!

Actually, right now I could nominate a lot of folks here, for purely personal reasons. Thanks, all!

----------------

On 10/20/2004 6:50:41 AM edwinr wrote:

Sounds like a good idea. Should spark a good debate. I think more than one category should be considered. For example, one category could be for the forum member who has posted the most original new topics for the year.
----------------

Or better yet.....The members who monitor, study, learn, wade thru the opinionated BS, make educated mind changes and keep their F****** mouths shut.

Ooops.....have I done it again?

TC

----------------

On 10/20/2004 5:27:58 PM skonopa wrote:

----------------

Make that a brush cut.

----------------

Heeeey! Whats wrong with my lovely thick, blond, curly locks?
11.gif

Actually, to bad the picture uploading is broken right now, as I have a good picture of myself from just about one month ago - with a bit less hair than I had during the "Klipsch Pilgrimage".
12.gif
I guess I'll have to setup an account on one of those freebie photo-gallery sites.

I am certain the friendly folks over at
were happy to get all that hair that came off my head.
12.gif

But I digress.....

----------------

If you have hair...well I hate you.....

TC

----------------

On 10/20/2004 8:50:15 PM IB Slammin wrote:

Pictured cribbed from the "Klipsch Pilgramage" section. The guy on the right with the blue shirt, goatee, glasses, and all that hair! That's your's truly! I've since got a lot of that hair cut off, though.

laba1.jpg

Just remembered this picture:

This shows how much hair I did get cut off! That is me in the blue sleevless zip-front shirt. That was when I went sailing on the Potomac with a bunch of friends in the late part of August.

7ALX_0001.JPG

----------------

On 10/20/2004 6:44:40 PM cluless wrote:

Hey!

This could be fun...

Let me nominate the following:

Person most likely to acoustically re-design the Roman coliseum based on results of Klipsh studies. - Artto.

Person to stay the furthest from during a weather event - Scooterdog.

Person most likely to adopt a new personality mid conversation - HWatkins.

Crabbiest - TPG.

Person that travels under the largest black cloud - Justin. (Honorable mention Fini)

Person most likely needing a bass (bad-***) re-alignment - The Ears.

Persons most likely to be sued for copyright infringement - BBB/ me.

The forum boy-scouts...Doger and Thebes.

The forum girl-scouts ...TBD

.............more to come

----------------

Good Morning:

Well thebes at least I'm in good company9.gif

In all seriousness, I hope that this does become reality.

Thanks, Clueless.

dodger

----------------

Make that a brush cut.

----------------

Heeeey! Whats wrong with my lovely thick, blond, curly locks?

Actually, to bad the picture uploading is broken right now, as I have a good picture of myself from just about one month ago - with a bit less hair than I had during the "Klipsch Pilgrimage". I guess I'll have to setup an account on one of those freebie photo-gallery sites.

I am certain the friendly folks over at Locks-of-Love were happy to get all that hair that came off my head.

But I digress.....

++++++++++++++++++++++

Locks of Love is a good program. My daughters Girl Scouts are all talking about doing it.

I was a natural Afro in college about 22 years ago. BIG Afro.

Now my peer group at work thinks I look like Sargent Schultz fro Hogans Heros with a fresh haircut.

I think community involvement would be a good award.

That way it would not just be teckies who get a chance to win.

Good Citizenship!

Well, it seems that Steve had me beat in the long hair department, but since he got his cut, I'm in the running now (minus Griff, natch; he's got us hippy-types beat). Doesn't really matter to me, though...last year I was awarded "Employee of the Year 2003" at the Lakeland Guitar Center!16.gif

home01me.jpg

post-11084-13819258231412_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 10/24/2004 11:51:57 PM jt1stcav wrote:

Well, it seems that Steve had me beat in the long hair department, but since he got his cut, I'm in the running now (minus Griff, natch; he's got us hippy-types beat).

----------------

LMAO!

Indeed, mine's fully 4 inches longer now than the Pilgrimage shot. I refuse to cut it again. I shaved my head once, and ended up working at Best Buy for two years. I can't imagine what measure of hell would be meted to me if I cut it again...

Hello:

This has turned out to be an amusing ythread. All the hair, etc..

BUT, thebes did post a serious idea, a number of questions on implementation were brought up with some answers.

Now, being in the same "boy scout" award as thebes, can we either make a separate hair posting, or give thebes some credit for trying to come up with something that could unify and not divide?

Out of respect for thebes, if for no other reason? Also for PWK?

I give respect to those that try to unify, even if the category is the entire realm of Audio.

I know I irritate some, that can be seen by answers to questions and number of times a subject is viewed.

This is not about me. This is about the man giving away T-Shirts for going to the DVDs, Music and Entertainment section of the Forum.

Obviously, no person likes the award idea save for a few. Let's end this thread and start one on hair. I had mine to beyond my shoulders.

A few days ago I received an email from thebes expressing his appreciation for my supporting the idea. Obviously he felt strongly enough that someone should be recognized. That in itself deserves some type of respect.

For me, I try to avoid some arguing, I do not always succeed, because I have been in a Domestic Violence Unit and a liason for Victim / Witness programs and Unit.

One gets one's fill there and also tries to sometimes take the middle line. BUT, again, thebes started this thread. This can be the end of it and a new thread begun.

In the process, if more wind up feeling irritated by my posts, so be it.

dodger