Van Helsing Sucks!

thebes

Along with so many of these special effects flics. What gives, they blow all this dough on groovy special affects but can't come up with a decent, not retreaded to death plot line, leaden actors, no steam in the love sceens and repititous, simplistic dialogue.

Really glad I didn't catch this in the theater. Other examples: The Alamo, and that movie where global warming brings on a new Ice Age. Pee Yhew!

Although I haven't suffered through a sitting of The Alamo I completely agree with you about the other two flicks. Van Helsing was just plain awful BUT I think the worst thing I've seen in a long time is the new version of The Stepford Wives. Oh my God I can't tell you how unenjoyable this crap was! The original has always been a fav of mine(SPOLIER ALERT!!!) because of the tension it creates. You really just don't know what the deal is with the wives until the very end when it's revealed that they're robots. They reveal that in the first 10 minutes in the new version. Plus there are plotholes the size of Texas in this rank piece of crap. It had no redeeming values at all. They also "changed" it up to become a so-called comedy but I didn't laugh once! Why change the genre like that? That would be like trying to make a comedy out of The Exorcist or make a serious drama out of Dumb And Dumber.

i guess nobody here liked it huh? *chuckle* i consider myself tolerant and can usually overlook bad plots in movies that have enough interesting action to make up for it but this movie had nothing interesting in it. The storyline was immature, the monsters were silly with the exception of the werewolves which to me were cool looking but too cartoony for my tastes. the main female character was portrayed as a tough person but did little to really help out the main character.

anyway, the movie is full of hot air with almost no entertainment value. two thumbs down and two big toes down too. :)

Bah!

I loved it. The amount of funny mocking commentary that my friends and I threw out loud in the theater while the movie was going on (getting the entire theater to chuckle a lot, and break out into laughter a few times) more than made up for the lack of plot, the horrendous acting and the immature badly orchestrated action sequences.

I guess I have to score another point for going to the movies. Had we waited till the DVD, rented it, and watched it in a home theater, the DVD would have been back in the case after 20 minutes and we would have missed out on a lot of fun.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I watched it on DVD with my wife. Halfway through the movie she fell asleep. I continued watching it. I found it okay, but only just. The plot was very ordinary and I thought it was a waste of some quite talented actors. Maybe it was more to do with the editing than the movie itself.

By the way, welcome back, thebes. 1.gif